Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 10:38 PM

Default Can\'t find info on 18Bits with AudiomediaIII soundcard...

I hope this is an appropriate question... I have done an extensive search on the entire site for more information on when to choose 16, 18, or 24 bits when I record analog (from microphone) into my audiomedia III soundcard. I will be burning a cd from the recording later with CD Architech. So I really need to know more about this. Please only answer if you have a 'nice' answer or a good link (Patient and sincere advice only need reply).

Thanks a million,

guitareasley
Old 07-18-2001, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Can\'t find info on 18Bits with AudiomediaIII soundcard...

I would set your session's bit depth to 24 bits, for the superior sound quality and headroom. You can record tracks into your 24 bit session through the analog ins, even though they only have 18 bit convertors. You also have the option of getting in digitally on s/pdif at 24 bits, using external a/d convertors. When your mix is finished, you can bounce to disc at 16 bit resolution, using a dither plug-in (dither is used to compensate for loss of sound quality when converting from 24 to 16 bits) on a master fader. This will create a stereo 16 bit file that can be burned to CD. Hopefully this is a simple version of the answer that you are looking for.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:38 AM

I agree except if you arent going to be doing any fades or plugins then go 16 bit so dithering wont be needed. dithering adds noise but is needed when sample rates are converted. higher bits are needs for more presise math when using plugins or doing fades.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:44 PM

OK, I found a 'bit' more about 'bits'... actually I found quite a 'bit' more here at Digidesign by doing a search on the term dither. However there still isn't much that I can find yet when it comes to using the Audiomedia III soundcard. But I haven't had much time lately to do the research for good links on the subject.

I will give more details about my recording. I will be recording classical guitar using two microphones. My first recording turned a great I used the DAT recorder, took out some noise during silent times, added a wee bit of compression, and then a wee bit of reverb. I must say that took it to a few studios and they actually asked how I managed to record classical guitar so well. One thought it needed just a little more bass but he said that was probably due to my cheap classical guitar more than anything.

Now to update you I got my own Dell Windows Me computer( I was using my dad's DAT recorder and his Mac computer) but I don't have the DAT recorder. Instead I am using an old Otari reel to reel as sort of a tube amp into my audiomedia card. We think that it might actually sound better than the DAT. One time I actually recorded through the reel to reel into a Sony MiniDisc recorder and then through my soundcard into pro tools. I don't know why but I got a great little recording out of that. It doesn't make sense to me. But someday I will learn how to provide a link so you can hear it for yourself.

Anyway enough of 'recording' stories ... I suppose I should always record in 24-bit. The shouldn't be too big of a problem because I don't use many tracks. It is just a solo classical guitar by itself.

Thanks,
guitareasley