Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Dual monitor setup question

I'll tell you the Windows story...I imagine Mac is doing the same thing...
  • You open a session on a machine with two monitors, arrange the windows across the two monitors, then close Pro Tools.
  • You reopen the session on your computer with two monitors...the windows are in the same location where they were when you closed the session. (I've never had to use the Alt-F4 "trick"...it's just always saved it correctly)
  • Your assistant opens the session on his single-monitor computer. As the session opens, Pro Tools / the O/S / the g-card driver (don't know which, but I think the O/S) determines that some graphics elements will not be visible with the current monitor configuration and moves those items. That way you don't end up with graphic elements that are "invisible" because they were originally on the second monitor.
  • Your assistant closes the session, and the current single-monitor window configuration is saved in the Pro Tools session file.
  • You open the session, and the windows are arranged according to the state they were in when the session was last closed on your assistant's single-monitor machine.
It really makes sense if you think about it...the whole goal is to make sure that no graphics elements are hidden when a session is opened on a machine with fewer monitors than the machine it was last saved on...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I'll tell you the Windows story...I imagine Mac is doing the same thing...
  • You open a session on a machine with two monitors, arrange the windows across the two monitors, then close Pro Tools.
  • You reopen the session on your computer with two monitors...the windows are in the same location where they were when you closed the session. (I've never had to use the Alt-F4 "trick"...it's just always saved it correctly)
  • Your assistant opens the session on his single-monitor computer. As the session opens, Pro Tools / the O/S / the g-card driver (don't know which, but I think the O/S) determines that some graphics elements will not be visible with the current monitor configuration and moves those items. That way you don't end up with graphic elements that are "invisible" because they were originally on the second monitor.
  • Your assistant closes the session, and the current single-monitor window configuration is saved in the Pro Tools session file.
  • You open the session, and the windows are arranged according to the state they were in when the session was last closed on your assistant's single-monitor machine.
It really makes sense if you think about it...the whole goal is to make sure that no graphics elements are hidden when a session is opened on a machine with fewer monitors than the machine it was last saved on...
In this case, could you just save a window configuration and be happy? It's hidden in the "Window" menu, first item
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Works fine here (using PT11.1.3, OSX10.9.3, Apple TB Display, and latest and greatest MBP). Sessions recall window positions perfectly.
Is OSX10.9.3 running fine ? Afaik it is not officially supported yet.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In this case, could you just save a window configuration and be happy? It's hidden in the "Window" menu, first item
As I said it's always just saved for me, and (nose in air) I'm certainly not going to allow MY files to be used by the sort of riff-raff who only have one monitor (even though I'm down to just one since my other one croaked out on me a couple of months ago)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM

I had the same issue on a mac pro, OS 10.9, with four monitors (one mirrored to the VO booth). I was able to resolve the "disobedient mix window" glitch by doing the following (not sure which step was the actual fix, but this is what I did):

Open system prefs/displays, drag the "Primary Monitor Bar" from my main monitor to a different monitor, then drag it back to the desired monitor. Then, before saving my window config, I dragged the windows where I needed them, then clicked the green full-screen button at the top left of the mix and edit windows TWICE (minimize then maximize), then saved my config and everything worked. The full-screen button seemed to reset the location of the window or something.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanaelj83 View Post
I had the same issue on a mac pro, OS 10.9, with four monitors (one mirrored to the VO booth). I was able to resolve the "disobedient mix window" glitch by doing the following (not sure which step was the actual fix, but this is what I did):

Open system prefs/displays, drag the "Primary Monitor Bar" from my main monitor to a different monitor, then drag it back to the desired monitor. Then, before saving my window config, I dragged the windows where I needed them, then clicked the green full-screen button at the top left of the mix and edit windows TWICE (minimize then maximize), then saved my config and everything worked. The full-screen button seemed to reset the location of the window or something.

Hope this helps.
The bug is still there in 12.4 and the full screen button method fixes the problem.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Have you tried saving the setup as a Template?

I have 2 monitors, but use them differently. But when I start a session from a Template, all the PT windows are exactly where I want them to be.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 AM

We had an issue with some templates opening on the wrong monitor. It had something to do with which monitor was selected as "Primary" in the Mac System Preferences Display set up. If you haven't already, try playing with that.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 AM

I have this issue as well but it started when I updated to Yosemite and now el cap, Mt Lion always remembered where the edit and mix windows were located on my 3 monitor setup. Will try the full screen thing and see if that works. Thanks.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM

MBPro + Apple TB display here.

I run the edit window on the external monitor and used to click the "zoom" button (green) to make it fit that screen. That configuration was remembered by the session the next time I opened it. But now (after El Cap or PT 12+) that "zoom" button turns the edit window into a new "space", as happens when you make an app "full screen" and you scroll your entire desktop to get to it. And when the edit window is a "space" the configuration is NOT remembered by the session.

Now I just manually fit the edit window to the 2nd monitor by dragging the corners to the edge of the screen, and it remembers.