Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Quicktime Server (Not Responding) 11.0.3 Mavericks

I'm also still getting

QuickTime_OPServer (Not Responding)
QuickTime_OPServer (Not Responding)
Pro Tools QuickTime Server (Not Responding)

Continuously in Activity Monitor whenever I use pretty much any video format that's not DNxHD.

I really wish someone from Avid would at least assure us that this is expected and does not have a negative effect on performance. There are certain video formats that PT simply cannot handle, and so when you're searching for solutions this looks at least like a potential problem.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forshurz View Post
Hope this helps resolve all of your problems with this. Quit out of ProTools/Media Composer and force quit the Quicktime_OPServer processes in your activity monitor. Then launch QuickTime Player 7 and go into Preferences, deselect the "Show Content Guide automatically" and then quit QT7. Launch your ProTools/Media Composer and the problem should be gone.
Thanks Forshurz! That solved it for me.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 PM

There's no Preferences option in QuickTime on OS X 10.12.6

I'm also getting this problem with PT 12.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Not sure if this will help, but it made my life easier. Thought I'd share it with you all.

I put together a couple of apps using automater to kill the PT QT server process. It seems as though quitting the process helped my issues, but opening activity monitor everytime I launched pro tools was bothering me.

Here are the apps I made. the first one is a manual version, where you have to open pro tools and launch the process killer manually afterward.

http://mbx.cm/t/FdvM4

The second launches Pro tools 12, and the process killer when launched. Just put it in your applications folder and then in your dock.

http://mbx.cm/t/1uFY4

Keep in mind you will not be able to import MP3s. Just convert them to wav...

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 PM

I met the same. I use Pro Tools 12, in Mac Pro with 16GB Ram. When I run a session, First the Quicktime server goes red(Not responding) in the Activity MOnitor. I do nothing after a while the Pro tools goes red(Not responding). Each time I run the session the same. I've tryed to restart few times the issue is same.

Looks this issue has been maintained from 11.
Please if any resolve?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM

Consistent: Pro Tools QuickTime Server (Not Responding)
As I boot Pro Tools, that shows up in Activity Monitor even before I open or create a session, and remains that way until I quit Pro Tools.

Pro Tools 2018.1.0
macOS 10.12.6
MacBook Pro 13" 2016, Intel Iris Graphics
MBox Pro 3rd gen, as well as Scarlett 2i4

I'm not doing any video playback currently.

Regarding: "... launch QuickTime Player 7 and go into Preferences, deselect the "Show Content Guide automatically" and then quit QT7. Launch your ProTools/Media Composer and the problem should be gone.", I've had "Show Content Guide automatically" deselected for years now. (For good measure, I just toggled that back on, launched Pro Tools, quit PT, deselected that option and quit QT Player 7, then launched Pro Tools, but the problem remains.)

I have sampled the not responding process and would be glad to send to Avid engineers (it is quite large for me to post here).

Last edited by bob2014; 02-28-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 AM

I'm on mac sierra 10.12.6 and pro tools ultimate 2018.4
I get the same lag and beach balling properties everyone else in this thread gets however, there is a fix. If I make sure I'm on the internet and quictime_OPServer can access it, then it's able to seek and find what it's looking for and the lag goes away immediately. Also, I will not have a problem for the rest of the time that pro tools is open, even if I don't have internet access. Now, if I restart and open pro tools and don't have internet access, the lag problem comes back. So, we are currently just trying to figure out a way for to not have quicktime_OPServer look yet, still able to play video files. If you quit the process you won't be able to play .mov files.
More to follow hopefully.