Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Default Re: HDD Question For PT

That's what I meant. If you buy a SSD for the OS and ProTools to reside on, then you can use the 2TB HDD for the ProTools Session Files.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Yes I understand that what I don't understand is why I can't install the O/S and Pro Tools on my 2TB drive and save the session files either to the 2TB drive or a partition.

Sorry to be thick I'm sure the penny will drop soon.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
Yes I understand that what I don't understand is why I can't install the O/S and Pro Tools on my 2TB drive and save the session files either to the 2TB drive or a partition.

Sorry to be thick I'm sure the penny will drop soon.
Here's the scoop: When you use a spinning drive as the system drive, the head is working most of the time handling OS tasks and acting as "traffic cop" directing a boatload of computer tasks behind the scenes. When you task that same drive to ALSO stream dozens of tracks of audio(maybe in both directions at the same time), that single drive has way too much to handle efficiently. Partitioning the C: drive only makes it worse because now the head needs to bounce back and forth between multiple partitions. By keeping your PT sessions(with all their audio files) on a drive that DOESN'T need to worry about OS duties, your performance gets way better.

Re SSD's(solid state drives), they read and write way faster than a spinner. With an SSD for system, your rig should boot to the desktop in 30 seconds or less, compared to over a minute with a spinning drive

By now you may be wondering, "shouldn't I use an SSD for recording?". Absolutely(and many do this) but that 500GB SSD cost more than your 2TB spinner, so its really down to economics. A good spinner handles recording fine and using an SSD for system simply makes the entire rig feel much more responsive. The ideal recording machine will have 3 drives(system, recording and sample libraries). If you use VI's with lots of sound libraries(like Kontact or superior Drummer), keeping the sound files for the VI on that 3rd drive just gives the best performance. If you only use 2 drives, put the sample libraries on the C: drive(let the recording drive do nothing but recording).

Last 2 cents, don't partition drives for better performance because you won't get any All programs get installed on C:, all sessions get saved to your audio drive. Sample libraries go on a 3rd drive(ideal) or on drive Cwith only 2 drives).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 02:13 PM

And remember a partitioned drive is still just one drive and makes no difference as you still need two separate harddrives for PT.

One for OS and one for recording as Albee said.

I would never put a spinner in a computer today as they are way too slow compared to a nice SSD. Get a 500GB SSD Samsung EVO PRO or a 850 Pro and use the spinner for recording to.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. ^^^ You don't absolutely need a SSD for your OS and ProTools Program files. And if you don't use large sound libraries you could certainly get by with a smaller SSD (250GB) if cost is an issue. I am still using an 80GB spinner for my OS drive, I don't mind the time it takes to load up Windows and ProTools, and my sample libraries are not too large (Xpand! and one other one I can't remember the name of right now).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone that explanation is very understandable and I thank you all for your patience.

The one line that stands out is "When streaming dozens of tracks sometimes in both directions"
What if the most audio files I need is 8 would the same criteria still apply.
My VI consist of Xpand and Halion.

I will order a 525Gb SSD as I do understand the arguments now - better safe than sorry.

Will this one be ok

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/525g...3k-iops-retail

Last edited by asimmd; 06-29-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Please do yourself a favor and follow the excellent advice already given. The consensus above and on the forum is SSD for OS and programs and third party plug-ins, etc., and a Samsung Evo or Pro 850 or 950 as that SSD.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-29-2017, 05:43 PM

I once tried running a single spinner drive on win laptop for both system and audio/session files using PT 8, even though I knew better. My thought at the time was just to use it for some location recording with a mobilepre and transfer sessions to desktop for editing , etc..suffice to say I burned that drive out (it was a new laptop) in about two months. The read/write head is in constant motion when its a single drive system doing audio and/or av work.. a recipe for disaster that thankfully cost me very little but could have been catastrophic

Last edited by 64GTOBOY; 06-29-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
I will order a 525Gb SSD as I do understand the arguments now - better safe than sorry.

Will this one be ok

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/525g...3k-iops-retail
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Please do yourself a favor and follow the excellent advice already given. The consensus above and on the forum is SSD for OS and programs and third party plug-ins, etc., and a Samsung Evo or Pro 850 or 950 as that SSD.
Go with the Samsung as suggested. For the system drive you may not need a 525GB. I used a system drive half that size.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-29-2017, 06:54 PM

For me, Samsung is the only brand I buy for SSD's. Many others look fine on paper, but some get really hot(not good) and Samsung is a solid brand. They also were very good about refurbishing one of my drives that would not take a format. While others get by with a 250GB or smaller, my full install of everything I use fills a bit over 300GB(why I recommend a 500GB)

Two things to be aware of:
1-the Samsung Data Migration software works quite well for cloning from another drive(even a spinner).
2-Samsung Magician is their drive optimization utility and its worth running once if you clone(not needed if you install everything from scratch). My warning about it is that it made all my USB drives disappear(even my USB stick with Waves licenses). Just uninstall it after you run it and all is well

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave