Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Smile New Build Review! Based on Mano/Ame? and SPCR Fanless build

Hey folks, first-time builder here spending an awful long time on research! Needless to say, I'd be so grateful for any reassurance from those with more experience...

I'd like to use this computer 40% for graphic design (Photoshop), 20% rendering (After Effects), 20% solo-audio sessions/soundtracking (Pro Tools with MBox Pro), and 20% gaming (COD, Battlefield, Civilization )
  • Antec SOLO II Case
  • ASUS P8P67 PRO <REV 3.1> SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 2400
  • Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
  • Thermalright Venomous-X RT CPU Heatsink w/Fan
  • MSI 560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express (already purchased this year for my current computer)
  • G.skill Ripjaws X 16gb (4 X 4gb) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
  • Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch SSD SATA 6Gb/s (for system drive)
  • WD Caviar Black 750 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB (for storage)
  • SAMSUNG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Blu-ray Combo
  • Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12SL 120mm 500 RPM Fan (x2 for front of case)
  • Corsair CMPSU-750AX Gold 750-Watt PSU

My build is based on this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...e9422e7c3c0893

and this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1221-page4.html

How's it lookin?

A couple questions/points:
-I think I read somewhere that I need to buy a separate Firewire card even if my MB supports it already - is that still true, and applicable to Mbox Pro?

-I plan on backing up projects to an external HD.

-I would have loved to go with a fanless PSU, especially given the vent at the top of the Solo II. I was too worried I wouldn't have enough power if I end up with a dual monitor config or higher-end GPU later on - the decent fanless PSU's seemed to top out around 500 watts...

-I posted this in the Pro Tools 9 forum assuming that's what the MBox Pro comes with; details on that are sketchy!

-Do I have enough cooling/ventilation? I'm planning a minor overclock...

Thanks so much for your help and time.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Re: New Build Review! Based on Mano/Ame? and SPCR Fanless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipoop View Post
Hey folks, first-time builder here spending an awful long time on research! Needless to say, I'd be so grateful for any reassurance from those with more experience...

I'd like to use this computer 40% for graphic design (Photoshop), 20% rendering (After Effects), 20% solo-audio sessions/soundtracking (Pro Tools with MBox Pro), and 20% gaming (COD, Battlefield, Civilization )
  • Antec SOLO II Case
  • ASUS P8P67 PRO <REV 3.1> SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 2400
  • Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
  • Thermalright Venomous-X RT CPU Heatsink w/Fan
  • MSI 560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express (already purchased this year for my current computer)
  • G.skill Ripjaws X 16gb (4 X 4gb) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
  • Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch SSD SATA 6Gb/s (for system drive)
  • WD Caviar Black 750 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB (for storage)
  • SAMSUNG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Blu-ray Combo
  • Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12SL 120mm 500 RPM Fan (x2 for front of case)
  • Corsair CMPSU-750AX Gold 750-Watt PSU
My build is based on this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...e9422e7c3c0893

and this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1221-page4.html

How's it lookin?

A couple questions/points:
-I think I read somewhere that I need to buy a separate Firewire card even if my MB supports it already - is that still true, and applicable to Mbox Pro?

-I plan on backing up projects to an external HD.

-I would have loved to go with a fanless PSU, especially given the vent at the top of the Solo II. I was too worried I wouldn't have enough power if I end up with a dual monitor config or higher-end GPU later on - the decent fanless PSU's seemed to top out around 500 watts...

-I posted this in the Pro Tools 9 forum assuming that's what the MBox Pro comes with; details on that are sketchy!

-Do I have enough cooling/ventilation? I'm planning a minor overclock...

Thanks so much for your help and time.
I built three builds in the original Solo case and frankly they kinda sucked. Antec builds a solid case but their fans are noisy and the internal case design is sometimes lacking. The Solo II looks like they fixed all of the problems with the original cases. It looks actually well thought out.

The Scythe fans are excellent. You can probably upgrade the Slipstreams to the 800rpm model without generating any more noise. Great fans.

I've had good luck with the modular Corsair PSUs and my experience has been they are nearly silent. The Seasonic M series are pretty much the same PSU. I've used those too and they are quiet. The non modular Corsairs are nosier then the modular ones. I recommend spending the extra coin on the Modular PSU's.

I would budget for a known working FW chip add in card but try it with the built in FW chip first before spending the coin.

Depending on the case layout and PSU orientation the PSU fan may help with evacuating warm air from the case. My experience with the Corsairs was that other components like the CPU cooler make more noise. I still think cooling a PSU with a little airflow is a good idea. Your asking a lot of that particular piece of gear. And its one of the last things you want to die as they often take other components with them. Components like the mobo or hard drives, memory etc..... maybe in a passively cooled HTPC but not a rendering/gaming/workstation.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
You can probably upgrade the Slipstreams to the 800rpm model without generating any more noise
I was actually wondering about that since I had the 800's in there initially - I'll swap em back in.

Quote:
I recommend spending the extra coin on the Modular PSU's.
Just to confirm - the Corsair CMPSU-750AX I picked out is modular, right? Good point about the PSU with airflow vs fanless.

Glad that this system seems OK so far on paper - my biggest worry is incompatibilities between components, and of course, with Pro Tools. I couldn't find any posts where a user has confirmed success with the ASUS P8P67 PRO MB, and that still has me a little worried...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipoop View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I was actually wondering about that since I had the 800's in there initially - I'll swap em back in.

Just to confirm - the Corsair CMPSU-750AX I picked out is modular, right? Good point about the PSU with airflow vs fanless.

Glad that this system seems OK so far on paper - my biggest worry is incompatibilities between components, and of course, with Pro Tools. I couldn't find any posts where a user has confirmed success with the ASUS P8P67 PRO MB, and that still has me a little worried...
A quick google search says it is. I've used the 550wwt and 620wts. I think you will be happy with it. I don't have any real advice to offer on the motherboard other than I have had the best luck with Asus over the years. The 2600K is a wise choice if your going to bump it a bit.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Cool - thanks for your input Sunburst.

I guess if noone else has any input or warnings... it's just up to me to watch prices next week and see if I can score any sweet deals...