Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Feature Request - Plug-in Shuffle Warning

"Shuffling" of plugins slows down my mixing speed ... interrupts my flow. This was interminable under MIX, but HD is not immune. Do I really have to keep track of what plug is on what chip? It drives me nuts when it does a full shuffle on a big session only to inform me that it has no DSP even when there is some left. None of the 'right' chip. Of course I spend time converting hungry plugs to RTAS, or reserving chips and releasing them 'tricking' the system to do what I want BUT ..

How about a dialog warning and option that it will have to shuffle .. surely PT can work out if it has the resources to make the instantiation after the shuffle or not - my simple mind can work it out, surely my G4 can too and save me the wasted time and frustration by informing me if it can instantiate before committing to a shuffle ... am i making any sense here??

Ainslie
Old 08-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Feature Request - Plug-in Shuffle Warning

Good idea, it only happens once in a blue moon but, by it's nature, always at a bad time!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:24 PM

It's a great idea. It happens to me MORE than once in a blue moon on an HD3 Accel system, esp once I'm down to doing final mixes on full productions with vocals, drums and everything.
Even better, if anyone has any tips for techniques on how to better organize dsp resources so I can avoid those kinds of problems in the first place, that would be great.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Same here. much needed. And while we're at it, how about a voice count readout along side out the system usage? Since we have to do a lot of management of DSP resources, it would be great to know when I'm approaching the limit of tracks available in the current preference allocation. This affects plug-in usage vs. track usage for DSP/chips.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 08-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Tip: Put the Master track and all aux tracks with reverbs, delays, etc... to the left of your Mixer. Protools loads plugins from the left to the right. If you do this way Protools will load all "heavy" plugs (such as reverbs) first, then the others.

Intel Mac Pro 12 core 3.33 GHz, 48GB RAM, OSX 10.13.6, PT HDX, PT 2020.9.1, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard
Mac Book Pro 2019 2.4Ghz i5, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.14.6, PT Vanilla 2020.9.1
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Makes sense. Great suggestion and great tip.
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 AM

A second thumbs up for the heavy tracks going left or at the top of the track list. I use a single accel card with two process cards and still experience reallocation moments late in my mixing sessions. Any tracks with heavy plug counts should go to the top of the list. Any accel only plugs should as well go up top if mixing with original process cards.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Tip: Put the Master track and all aux tracks with reverbs, delays, etc... to the left of your Mixer. Protools loads plugins from the left to the right. If you do this way Protools will load all "heavy" plugs (such as reverbs) first, then the others.
Of course there are many methods to manage it such as this which I do when needed, but I still say this feature addition would alleviate some aggrevation in the flow.

Other tips ..

*Use Audio Suite. Save the plugin setting and recall it in the audiosuite equivalent and print it to the tracks. Of course no automation can be printed this way - see next tip
*Print track. I solo the track, bounce, make a new playlist with the bounced audio on the same track, remove plugs and Aux and automation - of course you have to use your common sense what to leave enabled on bounce and the disable those elements. If you may want to recall the track, duplicate it and disable it so you can get it back.
*Use pre allocation of DSP (System useage window - you can click on the card name or chip and will will 'allocate' or hold that chip. I use this in conjunction with disabling tracks (cntrl +apple+ click on track icon in mix window) so you can force plugins to go where you want.
*Change plugin to RTAS - look thru the system useagae list for the hungry whole chip plugs and change what you can to RTAS. Of course the limitation is that RTAS is not available on Aux or master tracks unless you use HTDM which I find to be a lot more unstable
*Share track voices / change playback engine. Share voices on tracks (click on the 'v' on audio tracks in the mix window) that do not overlap and try to reduce the track count down so you can use a smaller playback engine under the setups menu. You may get a chip or two back doing this.
*Use busses - don't laugh! You would be amazed how many sessions i get or see that have a reverb plugin on each track instead of sharing it on a bus. Read the manual on this ... phew.
*Remove excess plugins - don't laugh again!! Bypass plugins and see if they make any difference - get rid of them if they are not audibly different ... gosh! If you can't hear a difference there are two possibilities - you're deaf - or it isn't needed.

Hope this list helps - but I still say - lets get the warning dialog with a choice of 'continue' or 'abort' before shuffling. Even better this dialog 'are you sure? Plugin will not be instatiated after shuffle due to inadequate system resources' 'continue' or 'abort'. PLEASE!!

Ainslie
Old 08-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Yup, this would be a good idea.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Me to! It would be great to be able to cancel to avoid the problem... and deal with it another way.