Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Default HELP! cant hear playback through the headphones!!! $20 paypal to who helps me

I just installed protools essentials with the m audio interface, in fact i just bought an Imac a couple days ago so i can start doing this. everything installed fine no problems at all, i can record sounds using a mic and it seems to be working fine, the lights all light up, i can see levels, i get the squiggly lines when i record and everything BUT WHEN I PLAY BACK I CANT HEAR IT THROUGH THE HEADPHONES, I CANT HEAR IT THROUGH THE SPEAKERS, I CANT HEAR ANYTHING!@!!!!!! I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL SMASH MY IMAC AND KILL MYSELF OVER THIS ITS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!! PLease, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! someone help me!!! This has to be something incredibly simple but im about to lose my mind over it! why wont they just make something that works right when you plug it in??!?!?!?!?

i set the interface through hardware setup to play and record sounds, i really dont know what to do.......

if someone can answer this incredibly simple question i will paypal you $20
Please, im begging someone, help me for the love of god!! i just spent so much money on this setup for it not to work i swear to god i will kill myself
Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Default Re: HELP! cant hear playback through the headphones!!! $20 paypal to who helps me

ive locked myself inside the room with a bottle of pills, and my wife is outside right now pleading with me to open the door. ive already smashed a guitar through the drywall and i think she called the cops cuz she doesnt want me to kill myself. OMFG ALL MY PROBLEMS WILL BE OVER IF I CAN JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY BACK THE [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]N AUDIO THROUGH THE HEADPHONES!!! WHY DOESNT IT JUST DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY!!!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Re: HELP! cant hear playback through the headphones!!! $20 paypal to who helps me

After you've stopped recording, have you deselected the red Record Enable button on the left side of the track?

Richard
Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Wow if that didn't take care of it and your still alive go to the contact link on my web page (in my sig) you can call me from anyware for free by typing in your phone number and clicking cal. My girl is doing homework and im entertaining the 3 year old means i got some time to trouble shoot with you.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:04 PM

Ya i deselected the record button before i played it back.... im alive, the cops came but i told them the situation but i dont think they appreciated it. They left though. I started screwing around in garage band and it records and playsback through the computer speaker fine, but not through the headphones. Even when i select the m-audio interface as the output.... Im gonna try plugging my amp into the headphone jack to see if my headphones just arent working or something....
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM

I've plugged in 2 sets of headphones and an amp, but it doesn't work, I'm thinking the interface is screwed up?? The headphone Jack just isn't working and neither is the line in for guitar only the microphone is I guess, I'm gonna return it at guitar center and if it still doesn't work I'm gonna drive into oncoming traffic and end it all
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Administrator

(moved to Essential forum)

Start with the Sticky threads at the top of this forum:
Pro Tools Essential for Mac
The Pro Tools Essential Videos
and the Pro Tools Essential FAQ
Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Lol ok have fun and I hear bridges are way better than murder/ suicide
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Is this one of those interfaces that has a headphone/monitor mix dial on it? On know this sounds dumb if you'r tried there already.

Where do you have your headphones plugged into? This also may seem silly, but a mate of mine had his headphones plugged into his computer and not the interface and was wondering why no sound was coming out.

Another thing is to check the internal routing of your interface through the settings etc.....
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2