Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-24-2018, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Avid releasing new product?

I have no problem with Pro Tools, but don’t forget who designed it. I love Pro Tools. I love my control surface-both designed by developers Avid bought out to keep itself afloat. As for Media Composer, I often have to use it for work, where I have no choice. I run Adobe CC personally, and still have a system running Final Cut 7. Neither software has trouble keeping up with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixius View Post
I have no problem with Pro Tools, but don’t forget who designed it. I love Pro Tools. I love my control surface-both designed by developers Avid bought out to keep itself afloat. As for Media Composer, I often have to use it for work, where I have no choice. I run Adobe CC personally, and still have a system running Final Cut 7. Neither software has trouble keeping up with me.

ahh i see, the only issue for you is MC..

well you may have saved one person here (me), as i was looking into learning video editing to make my own music videos, and to keep it all Avid i was going to look at MC.. perhaps that's a mistake.. I won't use Adobe, i don't like their model or prices for said model, i mean it's $360 a year here , every year (or it stops working, unlike the PT license i have), JUST for audition! It's insane.

So i might look at FCPX. It's 499 AUD once off and that's it.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixius View Post
Avid has stayed in business by buying out other developers, like Digidesign and Euphonix, rebranding their software/hardware, and taking their profit, all while doing next to nothing to improve their own software, like Media Composer-which is in such desperate need of a rewrite, it’s unfathomable. Anytime Avid adds a feature that every other software has had for a decade or more, they sell it as revolutionary, because they bank on their industry standard status, and trust that no one knows how behind the times they are. This is no longer true. Everything great about Protools was a product of Digidesign. Everything great about the hardware was designed by Digidesign, Euphonix, or Focusrite. Avid is a monopoly and between it an Apple, they are making the film and television industries desperate for reliable competitors.

What do you expect from a company that charges $60 for a tech support call, and turns a profit from their **** not working.

Sorry to dunk on Avid, but this is where we are. No one at that company dreams any more. Everything they make runs exactly like it did 10 years ago. Everything they bought from other companies, remains pretty much the same. I’d love to see Avid kick it into gear and release new-working products, re-engineered for the 21st century. They need to start listening to people.
Agree 100%......bean counters!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 AM

And sub-projects, spectral editing, automation items, fully capable item FX / attributes, and on and on and on. PT is far behind in the marketplace, and falling further behind as other products evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
it's behind on just 2 things.. track folders (already coming), and integrated pitch. That's it. Big deal.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
ahh i see, the only issue for you is MC..

well you may have saved one person here (me), as i was looking into learning video editing to make my own music videos, and to keep it all Avid i was going to look at MC.. perhaps that's a mistake.. I won't use Adobe, i don't like their model or prices for said model, i mean it's $360 a year here , every year (or it stops working, unlike the PT license i have), JUST for audition! It's insane.

So i might look at FCPX. It's 499 AUD once off and that's it.
Have you considered DaVinci Resolve? Maybe it would be more than enough for your needs, and it's free.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 AM

For the record, Avid bought Digidesign back in the '90s when the AudioMedia cards they bundled with Media Composer accounted for more than half of Digidesign's income. Pro Tools's initial success was in post-production sound and not music prior to the introduction of Auto-Tune. After the acquisition, Digidesign employees took over so many Avid positions that it was as if Digidesign had acquired Avid.

Avid is slow to change because their customers aren't inclined to spend time learning new features, much less new programs. Many move between studios running Pro Tools 8, 10, 11, 12 and the latest. They simply want to be able to sit down and go right to work. Adding features while maintaining people's 20-year-old workflows is a pretty serious challenge.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
And sub-projects, spectral editing, automation items, fully capable item FX / attributes, and on and on and on. PT is far behind in the marketplace, and falling further behind as other products evolve.

And MIDI plugins, parabolic automation, DDP creation... insert feature here.

There is soooo much they can add. Just because it has everything one user wants, doesn’t mean it has everything another user does.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
meh.. what's important for you is not for me.. i'd rather have powerful location markers like we have that no other DAW does.. The group editing is the most powerful around. If things like that bother you about PT, it's probably best to move on as i doubt they will ever happen. If you think PT is not evolving, why *not* just move on? You know from Avid's track record they will not give you what you want, so what is the point of "waiting in hope"? Don't do to yourself what I did to myself with logic for so many years.

For example, if avid don't fix the low latency monitoring engine below 128 samples and the alt h bug that only affects mac, by Xmas when my sub expires, i already know I'm gone. I won't be making the error of sticking out a DAW again if the dev doesn't step up, as those features are too important to my particular workflow.

This is why I am becoming proficient with Cubase 9 on the side in my spare time, as that's what i'll go to. The only thing I really dislike about it is the clip volume editing but it's very good stable software with good performance at 32 buffer, and stable enough at 64 for big projects.. i can set and forget it at 64, which i could not do with PT in it's current incarnation.

I tell the dev what I need and in the case of major bugs like above, if they don't fix it i a reasonable time frame, i know that it will never happen.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:12 PM

Did the world come to an end already?
Old 02-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Did the world come to an end already?

Did that dude (Mathew?) get his way and shut AVID down?

=P