How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Waves auth on USB stick?

The USB authorization is awesome.

As far as safety, there's license recovery offered by Waves. You can use this once a year at no charge - further, if your lost or stolen license is found after you have done the recovery, you simply connect it again, and it will 'refresh' your license recovery (resetting a year). It's a cool system... quick and easy from Central.

You can work with Offline Installers from Central as well.
So, you can keep your licenses, a copy of Central, and an installer for your plugs, all on the USB drive.... then, no matter where you are, you have everything you need to deal with your plugs, without any need for internet connection.

Slick and handy.

For the most part, my licenses live on machines and the cloud. But, when I need things mobile, and need to jump systems, this is very very handy.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM

It's the once a year thing that worries me the most. What happens if you lose the thumb drive more than once? If you travel to different studios in different towns and countries then that is not a stretch in possibilities.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Use the cloud, download the USB licenses, after sessions upload them back into the cloud
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
It's the once a year thing that worries me the most. What happens if you lose the thumb drive more than once? If you travel to different studios in different towns and countries then that is not a stretch in possibilities.
I'm sure this will sound snarky, but it's not meant to be... Someone who loses their licenses more than once a year should probably work on their organizational skills. Or create a new account and get demo licenses when they travel, leaving the purchased licenses at home.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'm sure this will sound snarky, but it's not meant to be... Someone who loses their licenses more than once a year should probably work on their organizational skills. Or create a new account and get demo licenses when they travel, leaving the purchased licenses at home.
I think WernerF has a point. I get what you're saying but you can't predict the unpredictable.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I think WernerF has a point. I get what you're saying but you can't predict the unpredictable.
Exactly. Whether you lose a drive or not is not the point. It's just that it's possible and not planning for possibilities is not great business practice.

And by the way, in answer to YYR, using the cloud IS what I do. This is a discussion about the possible shortcomings of the USB drive authorization method.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Of course, that's why I mentioned the hybrid approach

B/c if it's a flaw in the USB method, then the hybrid approach may be the best or at least better than the USB method alone
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Waves auth on USB stick?,

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Of course, that's why I mentioned the hybrid approach

B/c if it's a flaw in the USB method, then the hybrid approach may be the best or at least better than the USB method alone
I've lost count of the number of times my iCloud documents, Pages, Numbers etc. have lost "sync". #littlefaith

Last edited by Marsdy; 04-05-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Installing my Waves Authorizations onto my USB drive has been the most flexible options for me. It allows me to bounce back and forth between my laptop and desktop with ease.

djbrimlo
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Admittedly using a USB drive for authorisation isn't ideal, as is using something like an iLok. There is no ideal system unfortunately. If it weren't for the shameless crackers and pirates, it wouldn't even be necessary.

You can only do the best you can with the tools they give you. At least Waves does allow licenses to be installed on a machine as well. They also give you the flexibility to transfer them back to the cloud on a whim. There's quite a bit of freedom just in that. Of course if you haven't transferred your licenses ahead of time, you're also going to have a bad time.

Waves will help you recover licenses once a year, more than that requires updating WUP. In all fairness many devs charge for license transfers anyway, plus you get more for your WUP. This isn't perfect either, but nothing ever is.

The only perfect licensing system is NO licensing system. Unfortunately, we'll never see a day when that happens while there are so many dishonest people out there. You just have to take what you have and do the best you can with it.