Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Default My sessions all seem to crash, plugins are too much...external hardrive?

Ok I've posted here before about how my sessions immediately get the spinning pin wheel and stop responding I have done so many uninstalls and reinstalls of all plugins and pro tools 11 itself, I have always used an external hard drive, but I don't have one now...I am only using 3 tracks of audio with amplitube on it and one instrument track with ez drummer, do you think not having an external hard drive is what is the problem? how everything is being used on my mac? I mean i have a macbook pro 2.6 i5 with 8 gigs of ram on Yosemite, I am using Pro tools 11.3.1 if any one has any idea on what I should do or try I would really appreciate it, I've been trying to work on a simple song with 3 guitar tracks and ez drummer and I can't even do that, so I'm at a loss I figured that the mac should be able to hold up to that? hope someone can help me...thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 03:41 PM

Default Re: My sessions all seem to crash, plugins are too much...external hardrive?

Yes, if you called AVID tech support, the first thing they's tell you is to get a 7200 rpm external hard drive. It's not about whether the MAC will handle it or not, it's an unsupported configuration.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Default Re: My sessions all seem to crash, plugins are too much...external hardrive?

oh yeah? didn't know that, so using it without a drive is not a configuration that pro tools will work with? I'm just suprised because I have always used one but I downgraded a couple of months ago and sold some things like my drive and I just started using pro tools again recently so I haven't had the drive...so you think by getting one it should substantially help me with this?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Yep. From the AVID troubleshooting page:

IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. Other Oxford chipsets, while not fully tested, have not shown any issues and should generally work well with Pro Tools.

USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic. Avoid using USB drives, as they are known for causing a variety of errors.

LACIE makes audio-spec externals. They're quite popular.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM

do you have one you would suggest? I want to take advantage of the thunderbolt that I have on the mac, which my old one didn't have? I guess 7200 rpm is the minimum anyone know if one with ssd will work as well?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:47 PM

If you have an SSD / Flash drive that came with the MBP you have another issue going on as that config would work flawless in a session you describe,

However, if you have a spinner in the MBP which probably is a 5400rpm then these problems are normal.

But as we do 100+ track sessions and record ontop of that with a lot of plugins and VI on a MBP retina i7 and internal drive you really don't need an old spinner drive for external recording as that SSD inside is soo fast we never have issues.

This MBP we have is an newer one than yours but still if tou have a SSD inside you can easily record and work on that drive, the Avid recommendations are a bit archaic as to recommend someone buying a spinner today who have either a superfast MBP with SSD drive so what internal drove does your Mac have?

PS. we only have SSD's nowadays and would never go back to spinners even if they were given away

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM

I have a 500 gb flash/ssd, so that is scary now, because I might be at square one again, pro tools 11 is compatible with yosemite i'm sure now, because at first it wasn't thats the only other thing I can think of
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronic21 View Post
I have a 500 gb flash/ssd, so that is scary now, because I might be at square one again, pro tools 11 is compatible with yosemite i'm sure now, because at first it wasn't thats the only other thing I can think of
So, if you have a 500GB SSD internal drive (Not a Fusion drive) then you have another issue going on. As I said we record on the road onto a i7 rMBP with only the internal SSD drive all the time, we mix aswell and do last minute tweaks with over 100 tracks and heavy plugin and VI sessions so that MacBook you have should play those sessions easily and way more than that.

What interface do you have and exact PT11 version?

Edit: saw you have 11.3.1 so disregard that question

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM

in case it matters i'm using the focusrite saffire 40 hooked up with a firewire 800 cable with the converter to the thunderbolt as my interface and two monitors thats as much info as I have
Old 10-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Compatibility chart: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

Interesting side note about the SSD drives...I saw someone suggest that they're great for system drives, but not so great for recording...the belief was that they "don't like to be written-rewritten to a lot." Wasn't sure how accurate that was. One good case for a secondary drive, though, is, if your SYSTEM drive goes down, at least all your SESSIONS aren't on it.