Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Please vote to bring back DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade path for limited time

On the other hand, since the $299 deal went on for a whole year, I am kind of curious why in the world anyone waited so long to get it. Was $299 not cheap enough? You were waiting for an even better deal?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Please vote to bring back DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade path for limited time

No, and yes.

Protools 8 and 9 was bloody useless to me, as it turns out. That's why I didn't bother with CPTK, and then the buggers decided to dump the upgrade path before I'd even had a chance to try the Protools 10 trial.

"We included OMF/AAF im/export in Protools 9."
Oh thank you lads, not like a didn't already have that, but a couple of tracks and my now useless DVTK2 option doesn't help. About the only thing worth mentioning for me is the latency compensation. And that's not exactly something I'd mention in my favour if I was that late in achieving it. I use v9 for a bunch of occasional promos I mix. The rest of Protools 8 and 9 is worthless in my work.

Now Protools 10, there's some genuine value to me. But that also assumes the upgrade to Protools 8 and 9 was of the right kind of value, but it had significantly higher upgrade prices as well(50% iirc) and it's not worth it to me and judging by some ladies and gents around me in post, not to them either.

So the assumption that a 100% price hike(or the fabulous 233% price hike for HD) is justified doesn't register with ME.

That contributed to my motivation to upgrade, lack thereof actually. And then they pull the CPTK2 upgrade at $300. And then they reinstate it at a 166% price increase.

Necessary evil comes to mind as a fitting term, and thus it will need to be absolutely necessary to upgrade for me to pay. This will be slightly less painful now and evil, but only slightly.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM

That makes sense. I can understand that.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM

In the big picture, I always saw CPTK priced as a competitor to Nuendo (both $2000). If you look at the historical prices for the features you get in CPTK, you'll find that even for an $800 upgrade fee, it's a great deal.

What I would have done for destructive punch, preview and trim back in Pro Tools 7 LE...
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM

$800 is a fair price, but I scratch my head at the road to get here. First, they say just wait, it will be back. We wait. Then, just before the end of the year, they say upgrade pricing on Toolkits will NOT be coming back. That was almost 3 months after PT10 comes out. I took that as the final word. Sucked it up and bought CPTK in Janaury. Love it. Works great. Happy.

So was it the public outcry that made them restructure the upgrade pricing?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbysheik View Post
I think it was. This request had a lot of votes on Ideascale, and Avid is talking about being more responsive to customers. Now they're doing the walk.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM

I didn't initially upgrade because I was stuck on PT8 because my PC was Win XP. It was getting old and didn't see the point in upgrading to Win 7 in order for PT9 to be compatible when what I really needed was a new computer.

So I bought a new Mac Pro, about October 20th...same day they discontinued CPTK upgrade. Finally got burned by avid. So looking at $499 to upgrade to PT10 from PT8 + $2000 to by CPTK, I said screw it and just bought a used HD Native system with an Omni with PT10HD. Glad I did, now I am future proof and can still sell my 003 and my DVTK license as it has some value again. Any takers?

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Avid is still being sneaky, though.

They've brought this back, but now they've taken away the ability to buy PT8, which may impact a different group of people.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 AM

wish there was a facepalm emoticon on DUC

If you want to buy PT8 will sell you mine!

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbysheik View Post
$800 is a fair price, but I scratch my head at the road to get here. First, they say just wait, it will be back. We wait. Then, just before the end of the year, they say upgrade pricing on Toolkits will NOT be coming back. That was almost 3 months after PT10 comes out. I took that as the final word. Sucked it up and bought CPTK in Janaury. Love it. Works great. Happy.

They brought It back after the Ideascale thread went ballistic and started talking about a class action lawsuit.