Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 AM

Default New Guy Here - Coming from Logic

Hey all, thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself. I'm an engineer and musician with many years experience working in Logic.

I'm not necessarily "converting" to Pro Tools, but I've heard a lot of folks talk about how things just run smoother and quicker in PT than logic, particularly for tracking real instruments and mixing, so I went ahead and installed v11 on my MacBook. Seems to be ok so far.

I have a question though. Are customizable keyboard shortcuts possible, and if so how would I go about doing that? I'd like to keep as much of my workflow in tact as possible, although I'm certainly not opposed to moving the PT key shortucts into Logic if they end up making more sense...

Also, any other "newbie" advice for someone pretty well versed in Logic?

Thanks!

Geoff
Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Default Re: New Guy Here - Coming from Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Are customizable keyboard shortcuts possible, and if so how would I go about doing that?
Unfortunately no. You'll have to use a third party macro app.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Yeah the workflow and editing "logic" is different enough that you might not find a lot of commands in common that you want to worry about. I was a big Logic user before Protools. I think I went back into Logic and tried to change some basic transport commands to match their counterparts in PT. The big one was command-E for region separate in PT instead of "divide" in Logic that I had on the / key (left that the same). Also shift-option 3 for consolidate. That one I changed. The upside of this in PT is it makes everybody become familiar with the same commands, and when you're collaborating or in the studio with another PT jockey you can jump back and forth with them on the same machine without having to deal with a different set of preferences. Glass half-empty, half-full ha. The big thing in PT is being able to copy-paste right where you want it at the cursor position, instead of triangulating the x-y access "at this SPL point on that track" in Logic. I'm now PT full-time and if I never have to deal with audio objects in the Logic environment pages again that's fine by me.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I've heard a lot of folks talk about how things just run smoother and quicker in PT than logic, particularly for tracking real instruments and mixing
That is true :) Welcome to the forum...
Old 02-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Unfortunately no. You'll have to use a third party macro app.

Shane
The nice this is being able to walk up to another persons PT rig and the key commands be the same.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Hah ok, fair enough

I'm sure I'll be hanging around here asking a ton of questions though. I don't have any real projects this week, so it'll be a good time for me to fool around before I actually start using PT for real. Stepping up to the big boy tools has its learning curve though I am sure.

Thanks guys
Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 AM

Well, the learning curve is steep so far heh.

A few obvious questions for the time being:

1. Missing plugins? I have several installed plugins (I thought in both AU and AAX formats) that don't show up in the plug in selection lists, either by vendor or type. Namely most of the Slate Digital plugs seem to be missing, although Trigger does show up... Is there a plugin manager or something, or do I just need to reinstall them?

Also, Melodyne is an instrument? Strange but I guess it makes sense, since it sort of plays back your edited audio.

2. Is there a quick way to switch between the tools other than right click and select? (Zoom, grabber, scissors, etc.) I also grew to love the pinch to zoom in Logic...lo PT equivalent?

Thanks guys, like I said I'm sure I'll be back
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well, the learning curve is steep so far heh.

A few obvious questions for the time being:

1. Missing plugins? I have several installed plugins (I thought in both AU and AAX formats) that don't show up in the plug in selection lists, either by vendor or type. Namely most of the Slate Digital plugs seem to be missing, although Trigger does show up... Is there a plugin manager or something, or do I just need to reinstall them?

Also, Melodyne is an instrument? Strange but I guess it makes sense, since it sort of plays back your edited audio.

2. Is there a quick way to switch between the tools other than right click and select? (Zoom, grabber, scissors, etc.) I also grew to love the pinch to zoom in Logic...lo PT equivalent?

Thanks guys, like I said I'm sure I'll be back
#1-Re Slate stuff, check to see if its in the Plugins(unused) folder first. If its there, move to the Plugins folder and test. Otherwise, I would re-install Slate. Can't imagine why Melodyne is showing as an instrument

#2-Check some videos(youtube?) on "Zoom", and the "Smart tool".

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM

As to the Slate plugs

VBC, VTM, VMR, SSD4, Trigger 2... are 64bit AAX already, you may download the latest installers!
http://www.slatedigital.com/products

VCC, FG-X are not 64bit AAX yet...are said to be released soon.

There you find lots of PT11 keyboard shortcuts.
http://www.protoolskeyboardshortcuts...ard-shortcuts/
(you may find the right setting...HD or non HD, which keyboard etc.)

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...shortcuts.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+11+shortcuts

PT11 is a really great program which is more stable and has a more clear workflow with most things
than Logic. On the other side it´s not as flexible, adaptable as Logic.
You can say, Logic can be adapted to the user whereas the user has to adapt to Pro Tools actually .
Anyway I´m using both on my system and each gives you advantages over the other.

Wishing you the best of success and lots of fun with PT,

cheers, VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.1, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM

Ah, thanks guys - I've only been paying attention to which of my plugins have migrated to 64bit on the AU side of the world...

I take it PT11 is 64 bit only then?

Will also check the Plugins (unused folder) as it seems like several of them besides just trigger 2 should be showing up.

I'll check out some of those shortcut links too.