Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 04:38 AM

Default automation..oh yeah and templates

Probably a very simple way to do this (RTFM risk) but how can i simply move all automation points on a track (ie. for volume) up or down all at once?. In cubase i simply highlights all automation points and drag up/down but i cannot seem to do this in tools, and would rather not have to consolidate and apply gain in audiosuite. i want to keep my volume automation but just bring down the overall level of certain tracks. Also anyone manged to get templates working on a pc yet (ie. the "read only"method)? Importing session data and checking disk allocation every time is getting tedious.

regards,
James
Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Re: automation..oh yeah and templates

Hi Atardecer,
Make sure the track is displaying volume automation. With the select tool. Select the area you want to trim. With the trim tool, trim up or down to your liking.
Best,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Ah, thanks brandon. Was trying to do it with the grabber tool, hence it not working.

James
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks brandon. Was trying to do it with the grabber tool, hence it not working.

James
No Problem. That's what I'm here for.
Best,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:

James
No Problem. That's what I'm here for.
Best,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Sorry to quote myself from this old thread , but this method works for me.

(It's also essentially the same on the Mac, you just need to select "Stationary Pad" at section 4).

Quote:
Hope this doesn't sound too condescending but this whole issue of templates comes up time and again, and even Digidesign haven't really managed to address the issue even in their Accelerated Videos that are supposed to demonstrate how to make a template - it only tells half the story.

The "Import session data" method doesn't really work for me because I like to have my tracks colour coded, re-sized and some of them hidden which "Import session data" wont do.

I also don't like having to navigate my way through that dialogues mini browser (from a different starting point each time) just to find the session I want to import from, and then ticking more boxes etc when I've located it.

I do have a template that only has various pre-configured "channel strips" in it that I do use just for the purpose of "Import Session Data" if needed, but over the years I've developed a slightly different method that, whilst it sounds very long winded to explain / set up, is infact by far the fastest method I've used.

CREATING THE TEMPLATE :

1. Build a new session as per normal and get it set up just how you like it - My templates for example have tracks named, colour coded, re-sized, routed, spare / optional tracks de-activated and hidden. All the I/O, Busses and Hardware Inserts are named with alternate assignments ready made but de-activated. There are Talk-back and headphone mix matrixes set-up and ready, the Zoom settings have been configured, the grid resolution has been set, some groups have been assigned and a variety of memory locations have been set up to show various track configurations / pre-roll amounts etc.

2. a) go to "Save copy in..." and navigate to the top of your C: drive (the reason being that if you forget to do stage 4 or at a later date you modify the template then forget to do stage 4 and mess up the disk allocation of the template you wont have to look far for any misplaced audio files, and every computer has a C: drive).

b) some of my templates contain audio files such as a 2 pop and a 3 beep. If your session contains audio, name the session and skip to c). If your session does not contain any audio files you now need to create a folder with the same name as your session and browse into this new folder.

c) in the "Items to copy" section of the dialogue, tick the "All Audio Files" box.

d) hit save.

3. Close PT and navigate into your new Template folder at the top of the C: drive.

4. DO NOT LAUNCH / OPEN THE TEMPLATE . Right click on the session icon and select properties, tick the "Read Only" box and apply the changes.

5. On my desktop I have a folder that contains my various session templates, and shortcuts to my audio drives (no doubt you have something similar). Cut the folder containing your new template from the top of your C: drive and paste it into your desktop "session templates" folder.

USING THE TEMPLATE :

6. Copy the new template folder from your desktop "session templates" folder and paste it into your audio drive.

7. Single click on the new template folders name and re-name it with your projects name, before you hit enter / return select the name you just typed and Ctrl C to copy it. Now hit enter / return twice.

8. Double click on the session icon to launch PT / the session.

9. During launch the "Disk Allocation" dialogue will pop up (This was why it was so important to not launch / open the template at stage 4 - so that disk allocation would be correctly set for the templates new location). "No" is already selected so just hit enter / return.

10. When the session has finished launching, go to "Save" and hit Ctrl V to paste the sessions name into the dialogue, then hit enter / return.

Like I said, sounds long winded but is infact incredibly quick once your set.

Hope that helps folks in the future,

Cheers!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM

The easiest way to move all automation points on track is using smart tool in position righter then last point on this track. When you click and drop automation line at the end of track all points mooves together.
http://www.begemotstudio.com/
ICQ UIN 2595778
mailto:[email protected]