Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Adjusting automation between break points question

Hi,

Adjusting automation using the selector tool to drag the line between break points! when the automation line is of all equal volume and you place the selector above the line then only that section is selected for adjustment, but if the line is NOT of equal volume, it selects the entire tracks automation!! is there a reason for this or what is the work around when you want to select just that portion of the region!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Adjusting automation between break points question

anyone?

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM

To adjust automation for a certain portion you need to select the desired portion with the selector tool, then adjust it with the trimmer tool. You may need to add break points at the extreme edges of the selection, (but still within the selection), to adjust the entire selection evenly. At first your post was a little confusing because you used the phrase "selector tool" instead of "trimmer tool". You need both of these tools to do the job correctly. Make sure you use the right one in each case.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Hello,

Yes your right i said selector when i meant trim tool

I'll start again! I have e region to adjust, lets say one chord of a chorus i wish to take down, there are already break points where i want them, so i hover the trim tool over the region and try to pull the volume down, but because the volume at this point is not exactly even! the trim tool selects the entire tracks volume automation and not just the region/chord that i want to adjust. if the regions volume is even at this point then the trim tool selects just that region/chord for adjustment!?

I can of course use the selector tool to select the region again! but if it already has break points there,s no real reason to have to select it again.

So why does it want to adjust the entire region when i have tried to select just that chord/region? the only difference being the volume is not even at that point!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 AM

this won't work if you want to trim automation but it works great to write.

select the spot you want to adjust, make sure it's automation playlist is showing, adjust the control to the desired position and then hit Command /

this is called "write auto to selected parameter"

hope this helps.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Yes your right i said selector when i meant trim tool

I'll start again! I have e region to adjust, lets say one chord of a chorus i wish to take down, there are already break points where i want them, so i hover the trim tool over the region and try to pull the volume down, but because the volume at this point is not exactly even! the trim tool selects the entire tracks volume automation and not just the region/chord that i want to adjust. if the regions volume is even at this point then the trim tool selects just that region/chord for adjustment!?

I can of course use the selector tool to select the region again! but if it already has break points there,s no real reason to have to select it again.

So why does it want to adjust the entire region when i have tried to select just that chord/region? the only difference being the volume is not even at that point!!

Chris
What I wrote above will work for your situation. I do it all the time. It doesn't matter if the automation over the region you want to change already has break points, you still have to select the portion you want to change with the selector tool before trimming if the automation is uneven. As far as adding two more break points as I mentioned... well, it's probably easier for you to experiment to see what the automation does without adding the break points. Depending on your desired result, you may have to add the two break points I described above.

Another option is to select the portion you want to trim with the selector tool, increase or decrease the volume on the channel by the desired amount, then hit command+shift+/. If you have volume automation enabled, this will trim the automation to the new volume.