Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Soundtrack/Score Creation?

Folks:

First off, thanks for the forum.

I am a fairly advanced video editor using Avid Media Composer. In the past the majority of my projects for clients either didn’t need specialized soundtracks or we could use existing music – but now a couple of clients are wanting to lay in music but we can’t use copyrighted tracks for obvious reasons. Before I’d been able to find acceptable music using creation software like Sonic Fire Pro, but those usually ended up sound a bit cheesy (sorry SFP).

Is there a decent program out there that comes with existing royalty-free track libraries that I can somewhat personalize to projects (like SFP but maybe a bit more professional sounding)? I don’t have musicians available to actually perform soundtracks, so programs that seem to crop up when I search for “Music Creation Software” (like Pro Tools) all seem to be for editing already recorded tracks (not what I need).

Suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Tom
Old 06-28-2019, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Soundtrack/Score Creation?

At musicscreen library most available royalty free music tracks are customizable, you will need to get in touch for a quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Have a look at Epidemic Sound. Their tracks come with stems so a degree of remixing can be done.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 06-30-2019, 05:40 AM

We need more information to help you.
What is the subject matter of the video you need music for? (Advertising, tv drama, etc.)
What type/genre of music are you looking for (orchestral underscore, electronic underscore, high energy, action cue, etc.)
Budget/time constraints?

There are really 3 ways to go about this:
1. Purchase a DAW like logic or pro tools. Purchase sample library software(the included content in pro tools and/or logic is good, but is not enough to cover everything you will probably need). All of this software has a high learning curve, and being able to use it doesn’t guarantee you will be able to create high quality music. This route will have a lot of time and money invested if you are not familiar with the process of creating music.
2. Look for a royalty free music library company and listen to their content until you find something to shoehorn into your project. This is the cheapest, fastest way... but will not have the best results.
3. Hire a composer that has good audio skills and owns/knows all of the software needed to create your score from start to finish. You will probably get an overwhelming amount of replies if you post an ad saying you are looking for a composer, but finding one who has all of the needed skills and has the “sound” you are looking for is more difficult. There are quite a few composers like myself that work remotely, so you have a lot of options. I usually ask potential clients for a short clip of the video they need music for and score it to show them what they would be getting.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?