Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Dead Firewire ports

Okay, I have a Tibook 400...using a Magma 4-slot with two 60 gig Oxford 911 Hd's inside. Lost the Firewire port. Can anyone tell me how to "...reset motherboard (zap ram switch near the battery, named Kudo Switch)" on a Tibook? I will try anything to keep from buying a new motherboard for this thing. Thanks.

Craig
Old 02-19-2003, 03:48 PM

As for the TI 400 the cheapest way around the burned out FW port is to get a PCMIA firewirecard and hook-up that way. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:16 PM

I recently acquired this method of resetting the motherboard, though I don't know if it's as effective as hitting the physical button. And unfortunately it didn't help my situation but:

1. Boot holding cmd-opt-O-F
2. type these commands, each followed by return

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all
macboot (this last one is from memory so I could be wrong, but it states it at the top of the screen

Meanwhile I'm resorting to using an expansion chassis to make room for a FW PCI card.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
Just make sure to avoid Canada Dry. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah! It makes you burp!

...if you understand what I mean
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:41 PM

Doesn't Applecare cover such a thing?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 PM

Yes I think so but what happens is there is nothing broken, just software issue, you know something that is Apple's fault or any Apple's sub contractor(xcuse me for my non native language)
Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by parak:
I recently acquired this method of resetting the motherboard, though I don't know if it's as effective as hitting the physical button. And unfortunately it didn't help my situation but:

1. Boot holding cmd-opt-O-F
2. type these commands, each followed by return

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all
macboot (this last one is from memory so I could be wrong, but it states it at the top of the screen
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can anyone confirm this procedure? Also what if any risks do I run by resetting the motherboard?

The ailing computer works in target mode. I hooked it via FW to another G4 and it was recognized as an external drive, but it still doesn't see the FW ports when booted normally. Apple System Profiler doesn't even see the FW bus.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-19-2003, 11:22 PM

Well I went ahead and pushed the "Kudo" switch. At least I think that's what it was; a tiny momentary contact switch right by the battery. It definitely reset something, because when I rebooted the date had been reset to Apple's favorite year, 1904. Unfortunately still no firewire.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-19-2003, 11:45 PM

Try booting your Mac from the System CD and then plugging in the firewire drive. The System CD is a closed operating system which equals no software conflicts. If the drive doesn't mount when booting this way, sorry to say but you need a new motherboard. This happened to me about 6 months ago.

Not sure why this happened but I've been hot swapping firewire drives all the time and haven't had a problem.

Resetting the motherboard will mess with plugins that are don't use I-Lok authorization. Anytime you reset the date//time on a Mac, you run the risk of upsetting some plug-ins.

The "Kudo" switch that was mentioned is called the PMU (I think) which resets the power management in the CPU. If you do press it, make sure you ground yourself properly, press and hold the button for 10 seconds, wait a minute, then close up the machine and start it up. Resetting this switch will also mess with plug-ins that aren't I-Lok authorized.

Lastly, Target Disk mode works great for transfering files from Mac to Mac but it will take FOREVER to transfer files from one Mac thru another Mac to a firewire drive. I'm talking like 60 hours for ten gigs, something ridiculous like that.

Good luck, motherboards aren't cheap to replace.

Shawn
Old 02-26-2003, 10:59 AM

It's fixed. It turned out to be caused by an outdated version of USB floppy enabler! I replaced it that with a newer version and now everything's fine. Shawn, thanks for suggesting starting up off the CD; I can't believe I hadn't tried that.

Cheers
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O