Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Re: How can i assign more memory to pro tools hd

I have a question about this....
I've added the switch, and under the properties page, it does not say "Physical Address Extension"
I know it's done correctly - not at the studio at the moment so I can't copy/paste the boot file, but I'm sure it's correct.
I need to do more testing to see if I can squeeze more RAM outta PT.
Rig is HD2 PCIe in an Asus P5Q, Q6600, 4GB

Here's another odd one - my last mobo/system combo (now relegated to an office 'puter) says "Physical Address Extension" in the properties page and I didn't add the 3GB switch, and it's not in the boot.ini file.
That's not so much of a problem as it's kinda odd that I added it to the DAW and it doesn't say it, but it does say it on the other....

Thoughts?

Peace,
Ryan
Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hafer View Post
I have a question about this....
I've added the switch, and under the properties page, it does not say "Physical Address Extension"
I know it's done correctly - not at the studio at the moment so I can't copy/paste the boot file, but I'm sure it's correct.
I need to do more testing to see if I can squeeze more RAM outta PT.
Rig is HD2 PCIe in an Asus P5Q, Q6600, 4GB

Here's another odd one - my last mobo/system combo (now relegated to an office 'puter) says "Physical Address Extension" in the properties page and I didn't add the 3GB switch, and it's not in the boot.ini file.
That's not so much of a problem as it's kinda odd that I added it to the DAW and it doesn't say it, but it does say it on the other....

Thoughts?

Peace,
Ryan
add pae to your boot line. similar to this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /pae

different reasons why it might or might not say it. no big deal really but for the large adress aware to work it does need to be added if it is not there in your system properties.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 AM

This is a very useful article that explains the "USERVA" switch functionality which is essential to ProTools stability when using 3GB switch.
In short they recommend a value range of 2900 to 3030 for better application stability. In my case a value of 2999 was the most stable. Cant recall having any issues since setting it.
Having it at 2500 would cause weird glitches in ProTools as well as graphical artifacts so go with Microsoft recommendations and see how PT reacts.