Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

I just bought 2 years additional vanilla and I’m thinking of grabbing another couple of the Ultimate renewals before the price goes up....cause we all know that is coming next.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Welcome to AVID the new "Gibson" of DAW dev's!

I just want to point out that IMHO it would be more cost effective and smarter to NOT give up a perpetual license when it would be easier to purchase a separate monthly license if and when needed. IOW if you freeze your system then Avid changes everything you can rent the new stuff when you need to and use your old stuff when you dont.

I'm going to get a couple years of support plan and just hope i haven't thrown money into a black hole headed the way of Studio Vision Pro. But if they come up with an all new non perpetual DAW that wont work with old sessions or vice versa, then i will just rent as needed.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Ultimately for me and we’re not a studio rolling in cash.... but the reality is $199 per year is still one of the smallest costs in our studio.... hell I probably spend more on guitars strings.... and the thousands of $ i have spent adding software plugs, hardware, cabling, racks, building modifications on going combustibles to name a few... Hell the cost of electricity in this country has skyrocketed that is more concerning to me. PT comes in so far at a pretty small cost.... even if it is $199 per year.

The only thing that concerns me is not giving the perp lic, and when at a point I have to then I get to choose whether I switch a sub plan and keep getting updates or stay with the version I have at that point. The end of the day PT is ultimately a tool for recording/designing sound it doesn’t make you any better at doing that just because you have the latest version.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 PM

My concern is that Avid decides in a year or two to force everyone onto a sub. After all, they can simply pull the iLok authorization and anyone that paid for a couple of years of support/upgrades will simply have that credited to the sub plan.

I know of a company that did this last year for their business software. If you freeze your version, it still can become useless if Avid kills the iLok auth. I'd have to read the EULA to see what it says, but my guess is there is something in the language saying they can terminate the license.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 PM

Considering software is "on loan" fundamentally, they should (legally) be able to "take it back" any time they want...Just saying...
Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
My concern is that Avid decides in a year or two to force everyone onto a sub. After all, they can simply pull the iLok authorization and anyone that paid for a couple of years of support/upgrades will simply have that credited to the sub plan.

I know of a company that did this last year for their business software. If you freeze your version, it still can become useless if Avid kills the iLok auth. I'd have to read the EULA to see what it says, but my guess is there is something in the language saying they can terminate the license.

If Avid were to do that shame on me for investing time and money with this company. It’s not a ton of money invested but it was what they asked for at the time for the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Ultimately for me and we’re not a studio rolling in cash.... but the reality is $199 per year is still one of the smallest costs in our studio.... hell I probably spend more on guitars strings.... and the thousands of $ i have spent adding software plugs, hardware, cabling, racks, building modifications on going combustibles to name a few... Hell the cost of electricity in this country has skyrocketed that is more concerning to me. PT comes in so far at a pretty small cost.... even if it is $199 per year.

The only thing that concerns me is not giving the perp lic, and when at a point I have to then I get to choose whether I switch a sub plan and keep getting updates or stay with the version I have at that point. The end of the day PT is ultimately a tool for recording/designing sound it doesn’t make you any better at doing that just because you have the latest version.
Of course you are correct. My feathers get ruffled more and more when I feel as though I am pushed around, lied to and otherwise ripped off. BUT, it is only an extra $200 per year for a couple of licenses - soon to be one again - and is a small amount for even home hobbyists like myself. Add some garden variety BS laced perspective speak and it goes from being ripped off to insulted at the same time.

FWIW, I got sick of being jerked around by two of the plug-in companies, too. Upgrades for plugs that run horribly on good quality machines, etc. i'm getting really fed up with the lot of them. It's not just software companies nor music in general. It's really insane these days.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I'm really appreciating how active Avid staff are on the boards to explain their new policies. It's like they lobbed the grenade and legged it.
They're also trying another interesting strategy.

step 1: answer my question regarding Perpetual Licenses Reinstatements in the thread that I started, giving me a positive answer that HD to Ultimate reinstatements will still be available at the same price after July 1st.

step 2: delete the thread less than 24 hours later, merging my OP with this thread but not the answer from Avid.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post

If you will xgrade from your perpetual to a sub, yes it could happen, otherwise I think they can't shut down a license you bought as perpetual. Just my thought
Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 AM

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/par...e-professional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk