Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1331  
Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,782
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
The 7.1 or whatever it's called will be bigger and will no doubt be field-upgradable but I'd be surprised to see PCI slots in it. Apple were the first to dump diskette drives and at the time all us Pro Tools dealers thought they'd lost their minds. They were the first to dump optical drives, too. They shocked us at the time when all the serial ports disappeared to be replaced with nothing but this strange USB thing. In a funny kind of way I'd be disappointed if the next Mac Pro had PCI.
My bet is it's going to be stackable units. You buy the core unit which has CPU, RAM, some storage and some kind of video output.
And they're going to offer video units, storage units, and maybe some kind of "performance boost" units that interface with the core CPU somehow. Maybe the latter is too far fetched.
But I would think they're going to offer a unit with PCIe slots as well. PCIe cards are widely established in the pro market. And ridding consumer computers of an optical drive while providing a forward thinking replacement is different from ignoring infrastructure of professional environments with a machine that is addressing those environments.
But then it's Apple, so all bets are off.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.5
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #1332  
Old 05-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Philthy Philthy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
My bet is it's going to be stackable units. You buy the core unit which has CPU, RAM, some storage and some kind of video output.
And they're going to offer video units, storage units, and maybe some kind of "performance boost" units that interface with the core CPU somehow. Maybe the latter is too far fetched.
But I would think they're going to offer a unit with PCIe slots as well. PCIe cards are widely established in the pro market. And ridding consumer computers of an optical drive while providing a forward thinking replacement is different from ignoring infrastructure of professional environments with a machine that is addressing those environments.
But then it's Apple, so all bets are off.
For their sake I hope you're wrong... they're trying to reinvent the wheel. We have a universally accepted design for workstations and it's great. It's compact, it's supported by hundreds of parts companies, and it's already modular. Need a video card? Choose from hundreds. Need RAM? Dozens of companies and hundreds of products. A power supply? Ditto. Hard drives? Ditto. There is no problem asking to be solved by some wacky new design- except the problem of, how can Apple possibly squeeze more money out of us?
__________________
Phil Mann
Silk City Music Factory - CT Recording Studio
Reply With Quote
  #1333  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM
RobertDorn RobertDorn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 157
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Update

__________________
Apple iMac Pro 10-core 3GHz | 128GB ram | Mac OS 10.13.6 | Universal Audio Apollo X16 & X8P | Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6
Reply With Quote
  #1334  
Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM
jasonkalman jasonkalman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 84
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Update
Thanks for posting the link. That is reassuring. I'm actually reservedly optimistic.
__________________
Pro Tools 2018.12 Ultimate, Omni, I/O, Pre, HDX, Logic Pro 10.4.4, UA Apollo UAD-2, UAD-2 Satellite, Waves 10 Mercury

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Reply With Quote
  #1335  
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Neale Neale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 315
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

I donít understand the optimism. They have said it would be released the second week of May, and now the big chief says he ďexpectsĒ it... not that it WILL be released, that he EXPECTS it. Just like the rest of us expect it, I guess.

This isnít manufacturing. There isnít lead time or inventory to ship. I donít understand how there is a projected release date for software. Itís ready or it isnít. If it was going to be ready this week, it wasnít any less ripe or ready when you made that announcement, unless youíre just optimistic that your already delayed development will somehow just manage to get it done when your marketing department decides to announce a release date... which is not how Iíd personally run a software release.

I hope itíll be released this week. Iím looking forward to the EUCON improvements if nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #1336  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 PM
jasonkalman jasonkalman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 84
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I don’t understand the optimism. They have said it would be released the second week of May, and now the big chief says he “expects” it... not that it WILL be released, that he EXPECTS it. Just like the rest of us expect it, I guess.

This isn’t manufacturing. There isn’t lead time or inventory to ship. I don’t understand how there is a projected release date for software. It’s ready or it isn’t. If it was going to be ready this week, it wasn’t any less ripe or ready when you made that announcement, unless you’re just optimistic that your already delayed development will somehow just manage to get it done when your marketing department decides to announce a release date... which is not how I’d personally run a software release.

I hope it’ll be released this week. I’m looking forward to the EUCON improvements if nothing else.
Good points and that is why I am cautiously optimistic. Like you said, the software is either ready or it is not, simple as that. If it is not ready 3 days before the release then how can anyone be certain it will be ready in 3 days. It is either ready now or it is not. Frustrating, but at least we are finally hearing something from Avid. It is reassuring that they worked closely with Apple to get the OS compatibility tight. I'm hoping for significant improvements across the board in how PTs runs on the latest Macs. We should and I say should because I don't think this will happen, but we should be able to run VIs to our hearts content. If that is the case, then victory for us all and I'll embrace the continuous plugin add/drop playback thing or whatever they call it. I can't use 1024 midi tracks, but if I could get 10 to run efficiently without having to freeze everything, then again, win. Not sure what else Avid has up their sleeves, but the tweet implies that there is much more to come in 2019. Perhaps the delay was worth it if they get it right the first time out the gate, rather then rushing it out 1.5 months early only to have to release updates to address the bugs they didn't have time to fix. This doesn't in any way exonerate Avid from not being able to meet their own deadlines, but I'll take it if it works. If nothing else, one benefit from the delayed release has been that I've re-bonded with Logic and the UA Apollo. Man that is a seriously professional combination. 2019.5 will have to really impress me to move back to PTs full time.

I think that is the crux of the dilemma Avid finds themselves in these days. The competition is fierce. Apogee, Lynx, Antelope, UA all make compelling hardware that rivals if not beats Avid's hardware. Logic, Ableton, Cubase, etc all make compelling software that seriously competes with PTs. As Avid falls further and further behind the competition, it will be harder for them to keep customers. Come on Avid, keep PTs and your hardware better than the competition, like it used to be! Like someone else posted earlier "Make Avid Great Again!"
__________________
Pro Tools 2018.12 Ultimate, Omni, I/O, Pre, HDX, Logic Pro 10.4.4, UA Apollo UAD-2, UAD-2 Satellite, Waves 10 Mercury

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 05-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1337  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 PM
gonsdeejay's Avatar
gonsdeejay gonsdeejay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mťxico City
Posts: 198
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I donít understand the optimism. They have said it would be released the second week of May, and now the big chief says he ďexpectsĒ it... not that it WILL be released, that he EXPECTS it. Just like the rest of us expect it, I guess.

This isnít manufacturing. There isnít lead time or inventory to ship. I donít understand how there is a projected release date for software. Itís ready or it isnít. If it was going to be ready this week, it wasnít any less ripe or ready when you made that announcement, unless youíre just optimistic that your already delayed development will somehow just manage to get it done when your marketing department decides to announce a release date... which is not how Iíd personally run a software release.

I hope itíll be released this week. Iím looking forward to the EUCON improvements if nothing else.


The thing is, Some people change the release week date on May, but I don't know, I have a feeling on the release date, maybe will go until June
__________________
Pro Tools 2018.12. UAudio Apollo 8 Duo & Apollo Twin. Custom PC i7-7700K 16 Gb Ram Thunderbolt 3 SYSTEM-1KRK V88. Yamaha HS7 Korg ESX-1 MBOX2 003Rack Mackie MCU Producing My Own Life
Reply With Quote
  #1338  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
DigiTechSupt's Avatar
DigiTechSupt DigiTechSupt is offline
Avid
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 33,595
Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Please observe the Terms of Use when this thread re-opens. Specifically:
  1. You will not insult others.
  2. Stay on-topic within threads, or start a new thread for a different/new topic.
__________________
Avid Audio Tech Support
Help us help you - read this before posting
Support FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #1339  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:50 AM
justinhill justinhill is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Horley UK
Posts: 85
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
This isnít manufacturing. There isnít lead time or inventory to ship.
In fairness, it kind of is... getting the software finished is one thing, but they have to make sure the documentation and release notes (in multiple languages I assume) is written and proofed, they have to test the installer program, upload everything to the servers and test the download process, be prepared for a high demand on the servers as soon as they push the release button, and so forth.
__________________
--
Justin

Mix room: Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core XeonE5, 64GB RAM, D300 Graphics, OSX Mojave 10.14.5/Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign Command|8/Allen & Heath ZED-436 for fun

Studio: Apple Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2012 2x 3.46Ghz 6-Core Xeon, 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970 graphics, OSX Sierra 10.12.6/Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12/HDX1/Avid HD 16x16, Digidesign 192 16x16, Digidesign 192 16x8/Custom Raindirk Symphony 32ch. front end
Reply With Quote
  #1340  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 AM
Neale Neale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 315
Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
In fairness, it kind of is... getting the software finished is one thing, but they have to make sure the documentation and release notes (in multiple languages I assume) is written and proofed, they have to test the installer program, upload everything to the servers and test the download process, be prepared for a high demand on the servers as soon as they push the release button, and so forth.


In fairness... theyíre not new to this. And the release was already pushed back. And this isnít a brand new from scratch release, itís just an update.

So... docs and release notes? Easy, just addendums.

Servers and load capacity? Theyíve done this before.

I see no reason why anything would cause WEEKS for an advance notice of release.

In any case... hereís hoping itís today, as noted elsewhere in the DUC.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 features for pro tools vanilla ? cmbourget Pro Tools 2018 29 03-04-2019 03:00 PM
Namm 2019 jeffro General Discussion 2 01-26-2019 10:22 AM
Looks like at least 2019 before new Mac Pro K Roche Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 3 04-19-2018 06:44 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com