How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Default MIDI Engine issue (midi in)

Hi

I have some specific issue with pro tools midi engine
After a while pro tools midi engine stops receiving midi messages from midi keyboard or any other devices, it doesn't matter.
I use hardware sound modules: Roland Integra-7, Roland SonicCell, Roland MC-808 GrooveBox and Yamaha Motif Rack XS (pro tools midi outs) and Edirol PCR-800 as a midi keyboard (pro tools midi in). Everything works fine for years with different versions of windows and pro tools for years, but not long ago motif rack and pro tools stoped "being friends". To control sound modules I use manufacture's applications (in MS Windows) that operate through hardware midi i/o or usb. Yamaha's application can use only usb to operate, no way to make it work via traditional midi in/out - restriction of application. So, one day suddenly this app began to stop pro tools midi engine to receive midi messages. The issue appears only when I use this application with pro tools (very often when I start to change presets in application). Ok, I tried to find the reason. I used alternative app that could operate not only via usb - no issue with pro tools, via usb - the same problem. USB driver? No, I tried Reason 10 and nothing happened. The original application itself can use midi in - I tested it and its ok, no issues. So, the problem is only when contol app communicates with sound module via usb while running pro tools, and the problem is - midi engine of pro tools stops responding, but it still transmits midi outs and yamaha plays midi, but only from midi tracks in pro tools, and if I want to play it or other modules through midi keyboard - no way. And when the issue happens pro tools itself works fine until I try it to close - at this point one can see it could be done only through a task manager

Maybe someone have or had the same problem?
Old 10-07-2018, 03:01 AM

Default Re: MIDI Engine issue (midi in)

It sounds like your USB ports are going to sleep. In Control Panel - Device Manager select Universal Serial Bus Controllers. On each instance of Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hub, right click on it, select Properties, and then the Power Management tab. In each case make sure that the box Allow Computer to turn off This Device is not selected.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - 2 x Internal WD Blacks + MSATA card - Davinci Resolve 16.0b7 - Canon HF G40
Old 10-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Re: MIDI Engine issue (midi in)

Sure, All 'sleepings' in usb/firewire are unchecked, I did it first of all when installed windows, I also changed usb cables and pluged into different usb slots - no progress. The problem is only with pro tools itself, it fails constantly everytime I try to use it. One thing maybe to be clearer - pro tools and application share the same usb for data exchange, but it was never a problem and the app was developted the way it had no conflicts, otherwise there would be alternative options.