Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

One interesting note is the discussion about 32 bit vs. 64 bit for the application and saying that it really doesn't apply to tdm or rtas processing but rather the memory addressing. Doesn't that actually go against the argument put forth by Avid that the app HAD to be 32 bit to support legacy hardware? Thanks very much for the perspective and thorough explanation. It's refreshing to hear facts vs. beliefs. ;-)

Thanks again,

T
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM

This is a part of a communication I had with Waves, primarily focused on an unrelated matter.

"AAX is not officially supported at this time, but will be at a later date. Keep an eye on the Waves Newsletter and www.waves.com for updates on this and other Waves news.

As long as your WUP is current any updates we release for the products you own you will have access to it."

I don't foresee a problem.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Wow, great info here, thanks for posting!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Very interesting stuff. No doubt about the effort being put forth and the fact that things should be better once things have time to converge. The obvious growing pains are showing now.

The question will still be "Is it worth it?". Is AAX and the new paradigm going to outperform what is currently available, or more accurately, is it going to outperform what is currently available by enough to justify the cost premium? Avid's brands still carry a premium for name recognition and I don't have a problem with that.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hire that man to run Avid Marketing!

Darryl
Frank is Digi Alumni, and an all around awesome guy.

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hire that man to run Avid Marketing!
No doubt. Clear writing like this helps everyone; customers and manufacturers. I think he should have a regular column in Mix magazine, too.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This is a part of a communication I had with Waves, primarily focused on an unrelated matter.

"AAX is not officially supported at this time, but will be at a later date. Keep an eye on the Waves Newsletter and www.waves.com for updates on this and other Waves news.

As long as your WUP is current any updates we release for the products you own you will have access to it."

I don't foresee a problem.
So WUP covers the conversion to AAX. That IS good news!!! Also I just read that version 5 owners of McDSP products get the conversion free!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM

I'm curious though since all my Waves plugs are native if they'll just offer me the Native versions of AAX.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Ok, now from a real Software Strategy Director's perspective:

The fact that is coming out is that the system is not necessarily ready for AAX implementation. It is much cleaner to completely break to a new technology than it is to keep the old technology around and support it.

Now, with that being said, there is another force at play: Accounting. They want revenue, period. The PT9 move was clearly a debacle; it had updates to it that benefited LE users and really did nothing for HD users and, therefore, came up very short of targets. The other side of the house that got smart and offered Media Composer for a cheaper price (I know customers on that side that simply revolted and would not upgrade) would have caused a big gap in projected revenue. So, (I can see the Executive meeting in my imagination) there needs to be a way to get more revenue.

As a Director who managed a software package move from 32-bit to 64-bit, I understand the technical points made here. But the fact of the matter involves a bigger picture. The decision to put PT10 out was a financially driven one...it's OBVIOUS as illustrated by the pricing strategy!

Those of you here who are on the happy wagon are entitled to do so. You are the folks who will pay an exorbitant amount to upgrade half-way as is being positioned by Avid. But, just how long do you think you'll be able to sit there next year when you realize that PT11 won't support anything that PT10 does? Meaning, 32-bit apps/plugins will be done away with so they no longer have to be supported. My prediction is with PT11. And guess what? None of your RTAS plugins will work and you will need to pay for new ones. Oh, I've seen, first-hand, the attempt to simply "convert" software from 32 to 64-bit and it's, to say the least, VERY UGLY. Reason being...just upgrading the core software does not necessarily work because it may be calling outside OS libraries and compatibility there is hit and miss.

I agree that PT11 will probably be incredible! But, PT10 is, in my opinion, a slap in the face of Avid customers as illustrated by the price imposed.

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrachilla View Post
I agree that PT11 will probably be incredible! But, PT10 is, in my opinion, a slap in the face of Avid customers as illustrated by the price imposed.
I feel similar about the HD upgrade pricing, but I can't for the life of me understand what the native (not HDnative) crowd is complaining about. $299 seems nothing short of a bargain IMO. Especially considering you can use any hardware you like without having to consider its planned obselescence.