Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Confused about analog and digital.

Well I am noob at protools. I am not looking to purchase a hd system. I getting a 003. But my question is for the i/o there is a analog and digital one. I am just confused on the difference. I have tried searching everywhere and haven't been able to find a straight forward answer. Which one would I use for just recording a mic up drum kit.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Confused about analog and digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apechto View Post
Well I am noob at protools. I am not looking to purchase a hd system. I getting a 003. But my question is for the i/o there is a analog and digital one. I am just confused on the difference. I have tried searching everywhere and haven't been able to find a straight forward answer. Which one would I use for just recording a mic up drum kit.
Welcome to the forum apechto. The 003 has both analog and digital. There are 8 analog ins and 10 digital ins. All can be used at the same time. To get another additional 8 analog ins, you'll need some type of ADAT interface such as the Alesis AI3. I have used tha unit myself with both the 003R and 002 to record drums. Hope that gets you some of your answers. Others here will chime in.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Welcome to the forum apechto. The 003 has both analog and digital. There are 8 analog ins and 10 digital ins. All can be used at the same time. To get another additional 8 analog ins, you'll need some type of ADAT interface such as the Alesis AI3. I have used tha unit myself with both the 003R and 002 to record drums. Hope that gets you some of your answers. Others here will chime in.

Shane
Alright. Thanks for the reply.
One more question. What is the difference of what the digital ins and the analogs in would be used for? Like for just using regular mics would I used digital or analog in.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 PM

analog: the voltage varies as a result of varying signal level (your ears and eyes are analog)

digital: a sampling of an analog signal and transmitted an a fixed voltage in data packets of 1s and 0s (this is over simplified)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
analog: the voltage varies as a result of varying signal level (your ears and eyes are analog)

digital: a sampling of an analog signal and transmitted an a fixed voltage in data packets of 1s and 0s (this is over simplified)
so would I use a analog or digital hd i/o for microphones
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM

A microphone path is completely analog. It goes into a preamp (the 003 has a few built in) and then the interface (the 003) converts it to digital information so that it can go into the computer.

With a digital input, a separate box converts it to digital first, then the digital information just passes through the 003 (or other interface) and then into the computer.

Something like the 003 is designed this way so that it can be reasonably priced and expanded as you need. If it had 18 analog inputs built in, it might be more expensive, and not everyone needs that many inputs. So it has a few analog inputs, and then digital ones. When someone needs more inputs, they can buy a separate box that has it's own analog inputs to hook up to those 003 digital inputs.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 AM

so with the HD i/o analog I would just hook up a mic pre to it, and for the i/o digital I would hook up to a nother convertor?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Yes.

Although those HD interfaces will only hook up to an HD system.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Okay, apechto...let's see if we can provide you with some answers you can use...

Let's start with analog...

The 003 has a total of 8 analog inputs. Four of these are equipped with preamps, which allows you to connect a microphone to the 003 (they can also accept a direct input from an instrument such as a guitar or bass or they can accept a line-level input from an instrument such as a keyboard or e-drums).

The other four analog inputs accept only line-level signals, like those from an instrument such as a keyboard or e-drums. However, you can buy external preamps with analog outputs and plug them into these line-level inputs in order to use additional microphones.

There are also 8 analog outputs, which are frequently used to connect to such things as tape decks or external equipment such as equalizers or compressors.

Next, there is digital...

First, there are two sets of paired input/output digital connectors on the 003. One pair is TOSLINK Optical connectors; these can be used for both ADAT or S/PDIF connections (more on these connections in a minute). The other pair of digital connections are RCA connectors and can only be used for S/PDIF connections.

The digital connectors can only be used by equipment that has digital outputs, as is now being offered by many external preamps. Equipment with ADAT inputs/outputs can only be connected to the TOSLINK Optical connectors; ADAT can provide up to eight inputs/outputs. Equipment with S/PDIF inputs/outputs may be connected to either the TOSLINK Optical connectors or to the RCA connectors depending upon the type of connectors on the external equipment; S/PDIF can provide up to two inputs/outputs. Note that it is possible to connect one piece of equipment to either the TOSLINK Optical or RCA inputs and a separate piece of equipment to either of the digital outputs.

Now to solve your problem...

The most cost-effective way to mic up a drum kit is with one of these:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ter?sku=182483

It connects to the TOSLINK Optical connectors on you 003 (don't forget to buy the optical cables) and provides eight additional preamps and eight additional analog outputs.

The eight preamps in the ADA8000 aren't great, but they are more than adequate for recording drums; this setup is quite often used by 003 owners to mic drums. And, if eight mics isn't enough, you can always use the four preamps built in to the 003 for additional mics.

Now, and this is the most important thing to do, is turn off your equipment and go to http://www.tweakheadz.com/. You'll find a great deal of information directed at the newbie recordist. Then read the 003 manual, along with the Pro Tools reference manual...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Thank you so much bill. Thats exactly the answer I need.