Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM
avaldes avaldes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos (SF Bay Area), CA, USA
Posts: 27
Angry What is PACE Anti Piracy

Hi,

Upgraded to Leopard (10.5.4) and was running MBOX 2, PT 7.1.1. When I start it up I get referred to a site called PACE for an anti-piracy download. What's up with that?

Curiously if I start GarageBand I get directed to the same site. Has PT done something with the guts so that now I can't use GarageBand unless I play their antipiracy game?

The FAQ on the PACE site make me very reluctant to install it. It seems it could irreversibly break lots of things.

A MacBook pro at the same OS level (but no MBox plugged in) starts up GarageBand no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Slim Shady Slim Shady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,527
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Have you repaired permissions on your Hard Drive recently? I'm assuming you don't have an iLok, so you shouldn't need the Pace drivers, so the fact that you're getting that message means something is messed up with your OS install. How did you go about upgrading to your current OS version? Did you use any automatic software updates, or did you use the Combo installers from Apple's site?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 PM
avaldes avaldes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos (SF Bay Area), CA, USA
Posts: 27
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Slim,

Thanks for reply, but it is off point. The computer is used for general purpose, occasionally PT recording. I upgraded to Leopard in June, and have not seen this message before. I do not think there was any problem with my OS install. I upgraded my laptop (which does not run PT) and it does not exhibit the behavior.

Given what I read about PACE on their own FAQ site, I would rather give myself herpes than install it. I am disgusted that PT has gotten in bed with these pirates, and that they have corrupted garage band and god knows what else.

I paid for an MBOX 2 and PT, and have honored all terms of the user license. I am annoyed that PT, and ONLY PT of all apps I'm running, fails to work on an OS upgrade in the third decimal place of the version. Upgrading to Leopard all other apps except PT have worked no problem.

I paid for recording software and an audio interface, not for an unstable logic bomb.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 PM
BaileyBass BaileyBass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,094
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
Slim,

The computer is used for general purpose, occasionally PT recording.
In between your occasional recording, you might also stay up on your rig. PT 7.1.1 is NOT compatible with Leopard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
Given what I read about PACE on their own FAQ site, I would rather give myself herpes than install it.
Unless you know a little more about "compatibility" than most, that is impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
I am disgusted that PT has gotten in bed with these pirates, and that they have corrupted garage band and god knows what else..
My Friend... If you did the cursory search, you would find that there are great odds that your garage band corruption is probably pilot error. PT has, in fact, gotten in bed with these Pirates. And the end result is the Ilok, a sort of Prophylactic for plug ins. (not the kind from which you might get your herpes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
I paid for an MBOX 2 and PT, and have honored all terms of the user license. .
You think? I am sure these is something in there about upgrade and compatibility that you missed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
I paid for recording software and an audio interface, not for an unstable logic bomb.
there is an "unstable logic bomb" in this equation, but it is not the hardware of software........ You might also take a look at that preocupation with herpes and getting in bed with pirates.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Slim Shady Slim Shady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,527
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Lol, I didn't catch the 7.1.1 bit - that would definitely make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Phil Ogden Phil Ogden is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,107
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
Lol, I didn't catch the 7.1.1 bit - that would definitely make a difference.
Yes. The reference to "Herpes" rather derailed things !!!

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
avaldes avaldes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos (SF Bay Area), CA, USA
Posts: 27
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

OK, apologies for all lame metaphors. The fact remains that I get an error from Coremidiserver when I start garageband. I have not upgraded to 7.4 (not sure I want to, frankly). I should have the option to use garageband, but PT has done something (maybe wrapped coremidiserver with PACE so now garageband can't use it). I consider this stepping out of bounds and frankly a hack of my system, deeply unethical, and should b illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Phil Ogden Phil Ogden is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,107
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

I think you skimmed over Slim's advice (above). It's very unlikely that there's something malicious here. A corruption of some kind is more probable possibly due to the incompatible version of PT you were(are) running.

If you don't want to go to 7.4 (7.4.2 for Leopard OS), then uninstall PT and download the standalone CoreAudio driver.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Slim Shady Slim Shady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,527
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
OK, apologies for all lame metaphors. The fact remains that I get an error from Coremidiserver when I start garageband. I have not upgraded to 7.4 (not sure I want to, frankly). I should have the option to use garageband, but PT has done something (maybe wrapped coremidiserver with PACE so now garageband can't use it). I consider this stepping out of bounds and frankly a hack of my system, deeply unethical, and should b illegal.
You have NO idea what's going on, you're just pulling conjecture out of thin air. A hack of your system? LOL! Do you by any chance work on the Republican election committee?

Anyway, as Phil (and a few others now) have said, you're running an incompatible version, and that's why you're having problems. Either upgrade to a version that is supported for your OS, or completely uninstall the version you have.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM
docbop docbop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 403
Default Re: What is PACE Anti Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
You have NO idea what's going on, you're just pulling conjecture out of thin air. A hack of your system? LOL! Do you by any chance work on the Republican election committee?

Anyway, as Phil (and a few others now) have said, you're running an incompatible version, and that's why you're having problems. Either upgrade to a version that is supported for your OS, or completely uninstall the version you have.
The techie term for this is PEBKAC.
__________________
Steve B.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you're right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
64-bit applications and Pace Anti-Piracy technology jeremyroberts Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 01-21-2010 01:20 PM
Quicktime anti-piracy overlays feakerboo Post - Surround - Video 2 09-15-2004 11:36 AM
Using QT Pro to make anti-piracy burn-ins Dan Pinder Post - Surround - Video 9 06-14-2003 09:09 AM
Anti-Piracy = hell for the paying user II : the return Mark Haliday General Discussion 6 05-15-2002 09:30 PM
Anti-Piracy = hell for the paying user Mark Haliday General Discussion 20 01-01-2002 11:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com