How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2020, 02:56 AM

Default Not enough CPU + other problems

Help =(

Yesterday when I opened pro tools (after having changed the usb input placements slightly) it took many minutes before the open session menu showed. It also took a very long time after I clicked a session before it opened. And when I clicked play it said that there were not enough CPU and I should deactivate native plugins. I got the same results whatever session I tried with, even one I created and did not have any content whatsoever.

I then tried to reinstall pro tools. I tried versions 2020.5, 12, 11 and 10. All but no 10 got the same problem + the said that click II, Dyn 3 Compressor/Limiter (8), EQ3 1-band, EQ3 7-band, Mod delay III and Reverb One was missing. Reverb one is no problem since it can be downloaded and installed separately but the other ones cannot right?

Pro Tools 10 worked fine but on the other hand a lot of plugins were missing which means OI could not use that.

The biggest problem is that we have a deadline for 2 song on Friday, so I would need to get these 2 sings with all their plugins to work as soon as possible.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Not enough CPU + other problems

The plug-ins are a separate installer in the My Products section of your Avid Master Account under the Pro Tools Plug-ins heading.
Pic shows what I see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plug-ins.JPG (23.6 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 07-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Its impossible to help with zero information about your setup. Start at the link above named Help Us Help You and read it so you can come back and include information to help You might also ask around in your area and see if there is a Pro Tools user willing to make a house call(since you are on a time crunch). If Pro Tools 10 works, you could finish your current project in 10 and then deal with the problems later on.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2020, 10:28 AM

Oh Dear. What are you doing? There is no operating system officially compatible with all these versions of Pro Tools and by installing them all you may have messed up your system, even if you used uninstallers between installs. You always need to check compatibility before installing stuff. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

And Pro Tools 10 uses RTAS and AAX-32 plugins and all later versions only use AAX-64 plugins so you need to think about that transition.

Install your Plugins for 10 and hopefully it will work, if not... if you have a system backup/clone I would restore from that, if not then you may be doing a clean install of the old version of Windows you were running and Pro Tools 10 again. Ideally just do that in a spare drive/partition so you don't mess up/ lose anything on your current boot drive. Buy a new SSD to do this on if you have to. The last thing I would do while on a deadline is a major upgrade of Pro Tools, especially leaving 10 to later releases.

Pro Tools starting up slowly or CPU errors have obvious/standard troubleshooting steps, starting with trashing prefs, checking systems optimization, troubleshooting plugins, reinstalling Pro Tools is far down that list... did you try any of those things?

And if you need more help besides plugin installs post a SiSoft Sandra report.

If you have plugin install issues, say exactly what Windows version you are on, exactly what Pro Tools version, and exactly what version installer of what plugins you are installing.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:16 AM

Thank you so much for all your answers. I think I found the problem. The fact that I could not play was due to problems with the sound card. I have now fixed these problems (+ for safety's sake also trashed preferences) and the program works as it should. There still is a problem though:

I did download and install the Pro Tools 2019.12, that was only version 12 link in my products page (https://my.avid.com/products#MyProducts). However, several plugins are still missing after the installations. The plugins that are missing are the ones that (at least in earlier versions of pro tools 12) were included in the installation, like

Click II
Dyn3 Compresson/limiter
EQ3 1-band
EQ3 7-band
InTune
Mod Delay III

I'm not sure is this is because this is a later version of 12 than the one I used (The opening display is different than the one that I used to have and the name is different) or if it is because of a bug. Does anyone know if the plugins abonve should be included in 2019.12?
Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 AM

2019.12 is not Pro Tools 12 it is much later, the version of Pro Tools 2019 released in December.

You are making a mess of this. Just above you said Pro Tools 10 was working but missing a few plugins... and you were working with Pro Tools 10 sessions on a deadline... so why are you not going back to that?

Click II was introduced in Pro Tools 11 so why are you looking for it to use in a Pro Tools 10 session... Tell me now you think 2018.10 is Pro Tools 10.???

And still no basic info on Windows version... and reconfirm exactly what version of Pro Tools you were working on before and (presumably) want to get back to. Or was it Pro Tools 12 you were using before with these sessions? And what version? e.g. 12.3,12.6 etc.

The plugins you list are standard plugins packaged with Pro Tools 11 or later, including 12, 2018,10, 2019.12, 2020.5... and will be installed automatically. That it is not may be because you have made a mess of this system... so again, how about providing some basic standard info here.... and maybe waiting for advice before keeping running around reinstalling stuff.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-27-2020 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:21 AM

Hi again,

The problem is solved. One of my friends could send his plugins which I could use.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prenko View Post
Hi again,

The problem is solved. One of my friends could send his plugins which I could use.
There is no reason to do that, all those plugins are going to be on your system, hidden away in their package. And manually just dropping .aaxplugin files into a messed up system may not fix the problem. But again you seem to not be bothered enough to provide answers to basic questions and almost doing some form of performance art here. So good luck sorting this out yourself, I'm done.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-27-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:17 PM

OK one last shot. No clue if you are running Windows 7, 8, 10... or what exact version and that is important here.

You tried to install the S3L live plugins on your computer. They are not intended for that. If you dropped those plugins into the standard AAX folder directory on your Windows computer it obviously won't work as you found out, and you will have corrupted those plugin installs... because those S3L plugins are 32-bit Windows only and your Pro Tools 11 or later is 64-bit.

Assuming you have a Windows version compatible with the Pro Tools 11 or later you are trying to use, then all you should ever need to do to get the default plugin working is the following:

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

Move all the .aaxplugin bundles (they are actually directories) out of that Plugin folder and put them anywhere else. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins (Unused) is the normal convenient place to move them to.

Then trash prefs... be sure to follow the instructions for your version of Pro Tools or one close to it carefully. Not instructions for Pro tools 10 if you are on later versions. Or use the trasher utility (https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm)

Then restart Pro Tools and see if the default plugins automagically put themselves back as they should. If not stop there, and provide the details asked for.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-27-2020 at 12:33 PM.