Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Copy section from one session to a new session

OK, I managed to stumble through this once but cannot figure out how to do it again. I have a live gig that i imported wave files into a session. It's a couple hours of songs. I want to copy one song from the session and paste it in to a new session. It's 18 tracks, I can highlight those 18 tracks and highlight the 3 min or so song. Intuitively, I should be able to highlight my tracks, select copy and then open a new session and paste.

How can I do this? should be a simple process but I can't for the life of me figure it out? Help??
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Copy section from one session to a new session

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbilly513 View Post
OK, I managed to stumble through this once but cannot figure out how to do it again. I have a live gig that i imported wave files into a session. It's a couple hours of songs. I want to copy one song from the session and paste it in to a new session. It's 18 tracks, I can highlight those 18 tracks and highlight the 3 min or so song. Intuitively, I should be able to highlight my tracks, select copy and then open a new session and paste.

How can I do this? should be a simple process but I can't for the life of me figure it out? Help??
Import session data is your best option I would think

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 AM

If you use the import data option once in a new session, you will be importing ALL the track you import and not only the selected region.

There may be other ways to accomplish what you want to do. In my case, I have a 003 coupled with an 8 channel pre and I have done many live recordings. I let Pro tools run for the duration of the set or show and later on, I create individual sessions. The way I normally divide the songs in sessions is very simple:

Instead of highlighting the song I want and then try to copy, I highlight and select the songs I do not want and delete them. I would have then, in the “live session” the song I need. Then, I just use the option “save copy as” choose a destination, name it and it is done. You go back to the live session again; undo changes and you will have then, all of the original live songs. If you were going to continue separating and creating sessions for each of the songs, I recommend deleting each one you copy, and keeping the new session. You can always go back to the backup folder to get the original live recording session.

Since I do this in the order they were recorded, it’s quite easy but it takes time.

One more thing you may want to do before you start creating sessions, is to concentrate on one song, start mixing and adding plugins as necessary. If nothing changed during the recording, the levels of the drums for instance should be the same on all the songs, and depending of the type of band you recorded, the levels of the majority of the instruments probably did not change. You will be surprised to hear that all of the songs sound very good.

You can fine-tune your mix once you go to the individual sessions but you already have the basis by pre mixing this way. When you do, the save copy as, the levels and plugins will be there.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 AM

Camilo,

Thanks for the info. Seems like a clunky way to do it but at least there is that option.

And good tip about premixing the whole live recording!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Clip groups may be another way.

I more often use simular technique as Camilo does in the above post.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM

"Seems like a clunky way...."

Actually not clunky at all.
Effective refinement!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Clip groups may be another way.

I more often use simular technique as Camilo does in the above post.
Clip groups would be my first choice. Seems the quickiest way to share (and in this day and age, isn't the most vital thing to do, "share"? ) regions/cues/songs/whatever between mutliple sessions.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 AM

another option is to copy the Section / Song of your 18 tracks to 18 New Tracks / highlight those Tracks (you might have to Consolidate these Clips - sorry i would have to test this) .. then Choose Create new Session from these tracks

is this more of what you are thinking ???

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM

John.....I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Speaking of Clip Groups, I am new to them and inherited a session from another studio and they had grouped a bunch of drum clips, and I could not figure out how to UN-group them for some editing I had to do. What's the trick to undo clip grouping?(I searched google, watched some videos and all only explained how to DO it, but none told how to UNdo).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave