Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2016, 09:06 PM

Default Editing Automation help

Hey speaking of vastly underdeveloped areas of PTs, this is certainly one. So I've been fighting with it as I always do, and just simple stuff, editing the volume for now.

Here's what I have just never figured out, and it drives me crazy: when I select an area of audio track, and then use 'p' or ';' to scroll down to an aux volume lane (which is what I do for doubled vocals), as long as the area is highlighted, I can usually use the trim tool to adjust the region to whatever, and if there are no breakpoints, it will make some for me so long as there's a clear range.

Great, works well enough, no problem. And then it suddenly decides to only drag the left side down and not the right, but hey, next time it will drag both sides again.

WTF

Anyone know why it does this or how to stop it? Couldn't find anything online, have never been able to figure it out for myself. Maybe even just a shortcut for creating breakpoints at either end of the selection? Because this always just slows me right down. A Command+E for automation would even work.

And since I'm on the subject, anyone know a good way to create automation lane patterns? I know S-Curve and that only works on certain types of automation, which doesn't even include volume envelopes (which is ridiculous since fades are no problem), and anything more complex than a straight line usually involves the parkinsons tool... there has got to be some way to generate a smooth sine wave or something. I've seen it done, but I assume it some fancy script involving an external controller. Where do I find such wonderful toys? What can I do to never use the pen tool again?

Thanks on either account if you can help. Sorting out how to adjust automation is my priority though, since I assume the fancy automation involves throwing around money I don't have (but I'm interested to know for the future).

Last edited by Jakay; 03-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.