Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Default I am having a problem with recording with my set-up.

Let me describe my system first:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB and I have split the hard drive into 2 bootable sections on the installed 320 GB SATA drive. It is split into two bootable sections. The first section is what I use for all my stuff and is 218 GB. The second section is the Native Recording drive will all the programming and is 100 GB.

On the JABASCO REC drive is Pro Tools 9.0.5 and Saffire Mix Control for the Saffire LS 56 interface. Since this is the computer I use to record on location I do not load anything else onto this drive.

I am running P. T. 9.0.5 because it was the last version the run properly on both of my present machines. Avid gave me a two year reprieve to get my equipment up to date.

I am running OS X 10.7.x, (I believe), on the JABASCO REC drive because I was told/read that it is the OS X version supposed to work with best P. T 9.0.5 and why I have two bootable sections on the drive.

I am also not sure but the actual drive speed might be slow, too, at 5400 rpm’s. I just thought of that, I will have to check that one out.

Yes, it has a 250 GB 5400 rpm drive installed on the original box but my drive is 320 GB, I did not change it and i will have to check the rpms.

Now for the problem and it has never done these tricks before.

1.) After pushing record, it will start fine but then it will seemly stop recording for a second or so and then jump forward recording the jump noise instead to the program. You can also watch as the cursor when it stops or slows down moving across the screen and then jumps forward to where it has started recording again.

2.) The other thing that happens when it seems to stop or slow and then start again is; it records the last thing the mic picks up and records it a second time. It can then move forward as it should work until the time it does this

3.) It does not seem to matter what I change the Hardware or Buffer size to, because when I do change it, the same thing happens.

I am only trying to record one track here in this latest example but I have tried to record multiple channels at once … it just happens more often. And no, they are not timing clicks … I know what those sound like and I have not had any problems with that since I bought the Antelope ISOChrome OCX. It is actually garbled sound or the same word, note or beat recorded twice.

I have gone back and checked everything I could think of but … unless I missed something, I have found nothing definitive to say that it is being caused by this and this alone.

So I could use some insight if you can offer any, I will be listening and checking back regularly to see what you may suggest I look at as the cause.

But most of all try to have some fun out there today ...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:54 PM

Default Re: I am having a problem with recording with my set-up.

Splitting a spinning system drive into 2 partitions is the best way to get the absolute WORST performance out of it(and its probably a 5400 rpm drive). If it were my setup, I would replace the drive with a good SSD and leave it as a single partition. If you want better performance than that, add a good(and fast) separate recording drive. The only other thing you can do to help what you have is to push the buffer to 1024 to lighten the load(assuming you do not need players to hear from the session, while recording)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Default Re: I am having a problem with recording with my set-up

Hey

Yeah it is a 5400rpm drive which is really a non starter for running a stable setup as evident here ..

You need atleast a 7200 rpm drive (no green/blue power saving drive) as OS drive and a second drive for recording to and a minimum of 7200rpm there aswell. And use either a USB3 or Thunderbolt case. Of you don't have any of those connections you can use your optical drive to insert a 7200 rpm 2.5" drive and for the operating drive preferably a SSD drive but can work with a 7200rpm if money is tight.

If this was my setup I would invest in a new computer i7 16GB RAM with a 512 GB SSD drive and a USB3 or better yet a thunderbolt external drive for recording to.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Thank-you both Albee 52 and South Side for your information.

I did forget to mention that I an using a 1TB rack mount Glyph GT062E as my recording drive. So I have got that handled.

Here is the information on my hard drive

Capacity: 320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HTS545032B9SA02
Revision: PB3AC60Q
Serial Number: 090524PBD300Q6H23URG
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 5400
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

I have the first partition as my personal drive I use for most everything, like tapping out this reply, internet, mail etc..

The other partition has OS X that is right for Pro Tools 9.0.6, (I just updated it) and that is it.

This is connected to my interface a Liquid Saffire 56. Which is connected to two UA 4 - 710ds by a light pipe from one of them.

I thought that it maybe my hard drive but this is actually the first time I have had any real trouble recording and I have been using this set-up (the Mac B P and Focusrite LS-56) for the past four, five years. I did just recently change to the two partition set-up though.

So I guess I have just been lucky till, is what I am thinking then, correct?

I must ask, what in your opinion, would be the best way to resolve this problem and still be able to use this as my personal computer at the same time?

Just so you know, the 9.0.6 update did help. However it did not fix it, but spaced the occurrences of the skipping and double recording further apart.

Thank-you again for your help so far and I will be looking for you answers to my new questions

CTG
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 AM

edited post as I was wrong about the Glyph drive confused it with the OP's post where the OS drive is a 5400.

That Glyph drive is also EDITED 7200rpm so it is good enough but your OS drive will be a problem if you run many tracks with VI and plugins.

You are gonna have issue if that 5400rpm drive keep beeing partitioned and not enough space left for PT to work

... And if you run a partitioned 320 GB 5400rpm then you might have many issues going forward.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-10-2016, 12:28 PM

SoutSideMusicGroup, I pulled out the tech sheet that came with my drive and it clearly states that it is a 7200 rpm drive. So either the spec sheet is wrong or you are. I myself will have to believe the spec sheet. So no, the Glyph is not too slow.

I am hearing that the native drive must be 7200 rpm, too. So here I have been just lucky that it has performed so well for so long. I suppose.

I just recently partitioned the drive in my Mac BP but that can be undone rather easily. But if I need a faster drive, I am going to have to find a way to get one, soon.

And I do have a bit of a cash crunch right now. I went through just about 30/32 months of being quite ill. It ran through all my savings all 25K of it during this time and in the process I was declared permanently disabled. So money is way too tight now, too. So I am looking for a more cost effective solution right now, if there is one to be had. And yes, I should have mention this fact too before this. But then again who likes to admit they are poor and ill.

I hope these insights help you to better tailor an answer for me and I thank-you for your time and efforts to help me with this.

So with these new facts written done I will be coming back soon to see if I have gotten any further help or suggestions.

Try to have some fun out there today, too ...
Old 08-10-2016, 12:34 PM

I saw that spec post above and there it said "Rotation Rate" 5400 but read that as the Glyph drive but that was ypur OS drive Hitachi model so sorry if i confused you there. Not my intention. Damn these small iPhone Screens

So ... My bad. The 1TB glyph is most definitely a 7200rpm as you said.

If money is tight and you keep having these problems I would start with a unpartition of the OS drive and see if that helps. Make sure PT has atleast 200GB free to work with as there are many complex tasks we don't see or know and having a small 320Gb drive split in to 2 drives isn't gonna help us get your system running.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Hey everyone makes an error from time to time and there was no blood so there was no foul, right? I do thank-you for your knowledge and time you have taken to help me. I really appreciate it, so I cannot say thnaks enough for taking the time.

So it is all good and no bad Ju - Ju from here.

I originally had the drive a one partition but for some reason I thought if would be better if I would set if up to use a smaller space because I thought it would be quicker, more responsive. But try and learn and that is what brought me here. Plus I had seen a lot said about using a dual boot drive system and that is how I got here. I also did not know that you needed 200 GB the additional space to allow Pro Tools to run properly.

The other reason I tried it is because I was having wide spread problems trying to record multitrack sessions when it was all on one drive. I may not have had enough extra space on the drive for that to run properly now that I saw the extra space PT needs to operate. So this may have been the actual problem all along ... maybe ... you think?

I have a friend, who also has a computer science degree that tells I shoulc change the internal hard drive with an SSD and that he recommends at least 500 GB and I should be fine. He likes Samsung but told me to go to Apple's site and see which drive they recommend. Does this sound like a good option or do you have a suggestion here, too on the drive to get for my MBP.

And last question is, would I still be able to use this as my internet and PT machine or would it be better to us it as my PT system machine exclusively and find another way to access the internet and stuff like that? It another reason I set-up the partitions t try and exclude one for the other. Or would installing another drive for a true dual boot machine be a better way to handle this? I know a external CD/DVD writers are not that expensive and may be able to handle that and a second drive all at once.

Thanks again and i will be looking forward to seeing your reply.

CTG
Old 08-10-2016, 07:26 PM

Hey my friend,

I would get a larger OS drive and as I wrote a few posts up preferably an SSD drive. Samsung EVO 840 is a great drive, good price and you would be able o use the computer for both personal and PT tasks as the drives are soo quick and reliable nowadays. So .. Try and find a store somewhere close to you or like amazon or newegg and look at the prices. Get the best one you can afford.

Samsung EVO and Samsung Pro are great but I would stay away from a Apple Store as their prices are often mych higher than other stores.

You can get another drive like a 2.5" and shove it in where the cd/dvd is and use that slot to have the second drive for recording if you have the money for both drives.

It is hard when we don't know yoir budget as there are many options for this so if you could post what your top budget is for either a new OS Drive (7200rpm) or if you can swing it a SSD 512GB Samsung, then you can be sure you have a better setup, your Glyph for recording to and the new SSD to handle everything else. They are crazy fast these days and no problem using that for both private and PT tasks, no partition though

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 PM

SouthSideMusic Group,

I am glad we could make a good connection.

The reason I have not said anymore about budget is well ... mean is, let's just say it is usually tough right now and I will have to see what prices are.

I have used NewEgg more than once to build a dozen or more computers for quite a while now. I will search them first. Then I will know and be able to plan better.

Yeah, it is hard being vague like this but stuff happens and I wish I could tell you more than I am on SSDI and the 30 months of being very sick is the thing that ruins most people finances. It did mine. I mean I am holding my own keeping a roof over my head but everythiing else takes much planning.

But enough of that, I am alive, that is what matter the most and above all else I am still going to make a go of it. Why, because I still can go, I love music and recording live original acts is what I like to do most. So, I still go because I can, want and I love doing this the most.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, your time, your insights and expertise for you have helped me solve a couple other problems along the way with the information. So thanks again and speak with you soon.

CTG