Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM

Default PT systems networked together

Quote:
Quote:
Shane, I caught in a previous thread, that you network. How do you find this?
Yes I network. I pretty much have done everything possible with 2 or more PT systems networked together. I use Firewire 800 for the network. After using that you will never go back to ethernet. Networking is great for production in the studio. My assistant can take tracks right from the main session as we are tracking or mixing and he can start doing any edits that may be needed. And then I can take them back. This really speeds things up greatly during a session. You can also audition sounds etc right from within PT that are on another computer in real time. But to be able to import tracks from other sessions on the network as you are tracking or mixing is a great production time saver.

I have even synced up 2 PT LE systems in the past using a program called midioverLAN via the firewire network. Then I used 'remote desktop' to control everything from one computer system.

Another cool thing you can do is put a SAN(Storage Area Network) on your firewire network and use your SAN drives for your sessions. Some cool stuff can be done with PT systems networked together using firewire 800 for the network. I dont know why more people dont do this, especially in bigger studios.

I really encourage anyone in medium to large facilities who use assistant engineers to use this approach. Your speed of production will be greatly increased. Your assistant can concentrate on the more tedious stuff that can take you away from mixing such as edits, drum replacing, Beat Detective work, tuning, submixing etc and you can remain more focused on the mix.

Shane

Shane

I wish I had an assistant what am I talking about ...I don't even need an assistant

But what I'm finding is the amount of CPU power it takes just to do a very simple but yet complex mix. Constantly thinking outside the square, trying to lower that processing power.

You say that you run two PT systems, ummm... does this mean that you can run your plug-ins on their own system? I mean, can you have "all" your plug-ins RTAS, VST, cross platform programmes you name it, on one computer and run a mix, importing them as you would ...say with outbroad gear? I read that this is possible in regards to soft synth MIDI based programmes, whether RTAS or cross platform programmes. Just curious if something like this is possible.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: PT systems networked together

Bump
Old 10-23-2005, 02:52 AM

Quote:
...But what I'm finding is the amount of CPU power it takes just to do a very simple but yet complex mix. Constantly thinking outside the square, trying to lower that processing power.
I really feel that PT 7 will be the answer for us in regards to CPU power. Not long now before it is released.

Quote:
You say that you run two PT systems, ummm... does this mean that you can run your plug-ins on their own system? I mean, can you have "all" your plug-ins RTAS, VST, cross platform programmes you name it, on one computer and run a mix, importing them as you would ...say with outbroad gear? I read that this is possible in regards to soft synth MIDI based programmes, whether RTAS or cross platform programmes. Just curious if something like this is possible.
I dont quite follow you exactly. I tried to run two systems together. It did work. But it was more of an experiment to see what was possible. I was able to create verb returns on one system and have the other system use them via the lightpipe. That was pretty cool. You CAN mix on both and have everything bounce to one file. What you do is send the master fader of one system out on two channels via the lightpipe and then into a stereo aux channel of the other system. That was also pretty cool. I did this a few years back and did some cool stuff with both systems synced but it's still a pain. But can be done.

You will find that you are going to be limited to only 8 lightpipe channels for sending stuff back and forth between the two systems. I guess one could use the 8 analog I/Os though. It wouldnt hurt.

I do network 2 or more systems together in the studio though to speed up production as mentioned in the first post. Now THAT, I do all the time. You can really get alot of work done using that method.

I think with PT 7 though, we are going to see some amazing things with dual core and muti CPU support. That would probably be a better route than syncing two systems. But we will have to see.

You might also want to check out my post called "Poor mans HD rig with PT 7(revisited). It will probably be the next route I take if PT 7 does what it says it will do. I know a few others who are looking at that route also.

Now I dont know what time it is in New Zealand but it's 3am here. (Wireless internet and the laptop in bed makes great bed time reading)

I'll check this post tomorrow again to see if you have any more questions. Nite, nite.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-23-2005, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Now I dont know what time it is in New Zealand but it's 3am here. (Wireless internet and the laptop in bed makes great bed time reading)
Oh it's coming around 11pm Sunday night. Nite nite

Old 10-23-2005, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I really feel that PT 7 will be the answer for us in regards to CPU power.
Yeh, it does sound very promising and I haven't been around long enough to be a sceptic, so I'm looking forward to it's release.

Quote:
You CAN mix on both and have everything bounce to one file.
I was more thinking off the top of my head, without really logically thinking it through, in regards to some of my questions, but you say you can indeed mix on both system ...simultaneously?

Quote:
You might also want to check out my post called "Poor mans HD rig with PT 7(revisited). It will probably be the next route I take if PT 7 does what it says it will do. I know a few others who are looking at that route also.
Yeh, I've been watching that one. I've even toyed with the idea myself once or twice. As we are doing now, I suppose, toying with more idea's, but I think I can get by with a suped-up DAW.

Oh yeh, the converts will need to be looked at also.

filosofem