Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Default CPU usage is holding off USB audio. (-6104)

I had just recently purchased PT10, upgrading from PT8, and it seems that I am having some sort of USB issue taking place. Every time I try to play/record it gives me the Error (-6104), CPU usage is holding off USB audio. Remove some plug-ins, delete some tracks, or increase the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine dialog. I have done multiple clean install/reinstalls, deleted databases and preferences many times, repaired disk permissions, zapped PRAM, even unpulgged and replugged all USB/Firewire connections. Messed with Playback Engine settings, changing everything to see if it would make a difference, of course nothing though. The sessions I am attempting are getting this error message without even having any tracks in them, simply hitting play in the transport will cause the error to occur.... It's like there is some sort of USB interference or whatever that is blocking all USB audio. No matter what is in the session file(tracks, plug-ins, etc.) the error message happens instantly after hitting the Play button in the transport, both during and not during record. PT8 ran flawlessly on the same setup prior to installing 10. Also, when using my M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 with virtual instrument plug-ins now, it plays in delayed waves of sound, I have it connected via USB 2.0 and as Hyperlink for both In and Out, my MBox Gen 3 is also connected USB 2.0, the external HD is connected Firewire 800, and doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I have had the Activity Monitor up while going through this and it shows at least 12 GBs RAM not in use while this error occurs. My next step is going to be to restore the iMac to factory settings and start over from there, I just hope that it might possibly solve it lol. I believe I saw something somewhere saying that it could be caused by the iLok, anyone know about this? Also, all drivers and programs are up to date(OS X Lion,PT10, MBox, iLok).
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Setup:
2011 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz i7 Quadcore 16G RAM
OS X Lion 10.7.2
Pro Tools 10.0 LE
MBox 3rd Gen (USB 2.0)
Rocstor Rocpro 850 External HD (Firewire 800)
M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 (USB 2.0)
PACE iLok 2nd Gen (USB 2.0)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Default Re: CPU usage is holding off USB audio. (-6104)

I'm having the exact same problem! Although it wasn't happening in PT9 under Snow Leopard.

Everything works fine when I use my Mbox 2 mini, but not when using Mbox 3.
I have tried repairing disk permissions, clean install of PT10, Reset PRAM, moving all plugins to un-used folder and re-installing Mbox 3 drivers.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Brett
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM

I have exactly the same problem.

All was running smoothly until using the 11R as the main interface.

Just to verify. Do you guys have the 11R as well or use any of these plugins? Nomad Factory Magnetic, Magnetic II or slate VCC?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:30 PM

I think I have worked it out.

My Mbox 3 is screwed. It has troubles with any previous sessions I have created using 48k or if I create a new session using 48k.

But If I create a new session using 44.1k it's fine.

I saw a thread regarding if you use the tuner and it report a different note to what you are playing. I.E. you play and "E" and it reports it as halfway between F and F#.... if that makes sense?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...ple-rates.html