Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Default midi regions and deleting notes

Why is it when i want to shorten the region, it keeps the midi note going beyond where i shortened it? For example, i grab the end of the region and slide it to the left to shorten the region. It doesn't shorten the midi note it just stays outside of the region. Wouldn't it make sense to shorten the midi note along with the region? Or am i missing something here? As it is now, i shorten the region and then have the grab the midi note and shorten that too.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Re: midi regions and deleting notes

I totally agree with you on this.
This has happend to me so many times,
I just want to pull my hair out of my roots.

No matter how many times you shorten the region it seems
to have a life of its own and either go back to the thing you did not want in
the first place, or makes it even longer.

This is another reason why I posted my post about Midi.
And the reason why Digidesign needs to fix this quick.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM

A region represents where notes begin.

there are many reasons I can think of why not trimming the end of notes when trimming regions is a good thing, and I suspect that they would out-weigh the reasons for.

For example: if you want to trim a region, let's say because you're unhappy with the performance that you want to trim off, then you're suggesting that you also want to alter the note that was part of the performance that you are happy with.

Why would you want to do that?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
A region represents where notes begin.

there are many reasons I can think of why not trimming the end of notes when trimming regions is a good thing, and I suspect that they would out-weigh the reasons for.

For example: if you want to trim a region, let's say because you're unhappy with the performance that you want to trim off, then you're suggesting that you also want to alter the note that was part of the performance that you are happy with.

Why would you want to do that?

That's exactly what i want to do!! I don't know why you wouldn't want it to do that. It's not altering the note, it's just trimming it so i can add in another region, or loop or whatever. It's especially bad for looping the same region because you get all this pile of mess that should have just been trimmed with the region.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

On another note, it would be exactly the same as audio. You're trying to trim the audio you wouldn't want the wav extending past the region would you? It's quite pointless in my opinion to have to trim both the region and the midi data.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
On another note, it would be exactly the same as audio. You're trying to trim the audio you wouldn't want the wav extending past the region would you? It's quite pointless in my opinion to have to trim both the region and the midi data.
You've almost described another reason not to do it....

Imagine for a moment that a MIDI region is an audio region, and the audio is a sound that has a long reverb tail all the way to the end.
If you were to trim that, the reverb sound would come to an abrupt end, instead of tailing-out as it was originally meant to do.

The length of a MIDI note is just as important as any other aspect of the note - a shortened note becomes an entirely different note!

You could easily see what I mean if you were to do this, and switch to the Score view before and after.

With me?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm not following you. When you cut off the audio it doesn't have a tail, it just stops. Unless you are using effects in which case i mainly use aux tracks for that so that should take care of that. I guess we just like using midi in two different ways, this way is much faster for me and makes more sense for me.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not following you. When you cut off the audio it doesn't have a tail, it just stops. Unless you are using effects in which case i mainly use aux tracks for that so that should take care of that. I guess we just like using midi in two different ways, this way is much faster for me and makes more sense for me.
My point is that making the note different can effect the resulting sound in a variety of ways - articulation response from the Virtual Instrument, or, if the VI's chosen sound is an evolving one, and so on.
And, by using effects in the way you've stated, this can again effect the sound generated by that effect quite considerably, because a lot of effects are driven by the length of notes.
What you're describing would be fine if all sounds were like a sine wave, with none of these aspects.

Maintaining the original length of all notes, if you're happy with them, can go a long way towards "humanization" of your music.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
My point is that making the note different can effect the resulting sound in a variety of ways - articulation response from the Virtual Instrument, or, if the VI's chosen sound is an evolving one, and so on.
And, by using effects in the way you've stated, this can again effect the sound generated by that effect quite considerably.
What you're describing would be fine if all sounds were like a sine wave, with none of these aspects.

Maintaining the original length of all notes, if you're happy with them, can go a long way towards "humanization" of your music.

But if you were to do it like that then why the need to trim the region in the first place? I mainly use midi for sampled drums to layer under acoustic tracks. After trimming the midi note down the sound goes beyond the region anyway. Atleast it does for me. Along with piano instruments, the sound tails past the region whether the notes is trimmed or not. I'm not trying to argue, i'm really trying to figure out what you're talking about because i just dont see it.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
But if you were to do it like that then why the need to trim the region in the first place? I mainly use midi for sampled drums to layer under acoustic tracks. After trimming the midi note down the sound goes beyond the region anyway. Atleast it does for me. Along with piano instruments, the sound tails past the region whether the notes is trimmed or not. I'm not trying to argue, i'm really trying to figure out what you're talking about because i just dont see it.
I'm not taking any of this as arguing - I'm keen to try and help.

ok, in the case of drums, if you're using a VI with multi-sampled or multi-layered samples, it does make a difference.

I use East West Quantum Leap SD2. Every time you play a sample, especially while holding the key for different lengths of time, the instrument plays a different sample of that source.
This is even more noticable with tonal instruments, like a piano. You can hold the note for one type of sound, or tap it quickly to produce staccato - two very different ways of performing.