Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 PM

Default LE timestretching features (7)

I'd like to learn timestretching. Does LE7 already have a standard Timestretchin feature or do I need to acquiree third party plugins? Which tool do I use for timestrech? thx fellas, happy Easter!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: LE timestretching features (7)

Yes, Audiosuite - Timestretch
Old 04-16-2006, 05:45 PM

hey, kiku

my LE7 version did not come with Timestretch. by the way, what's time compression expansion?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
hey, kiku

my LE7 version did not come with Timestretch. by the way, what's time compression expansion?
That's the Audiosuite plug that will do what you want. You can also use the trimmer tool in time compress/expand mode, check your manual if you're not familiar with the different tools and their functions.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:29 PM

thank you, sir!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:10 AM

Hello. There seems to be something on the horizon that may makes things easier on this subject. On the current issue of Pro Sound News the Vice President of Marketing for Digidesign is interviewed. Here is a snippet of that.
Quote:
"Something we're aiming for in the next major release is essentially 'full elastic audio' capability", Foeckler elaborated. "Right now, if you shift the timeline (or tempo) around, anything that is cut up will move with it, but if you do that with contiguous audio, Pro Tools still doesn't time-compress or stretch it automatically. It's an obvious thing to do. If you look at other applications that people use for loop-based music [such as GarageBand or Ableton Live], that's how they function. It's very important that Pro Tools functions in the same way."
This was taken from a post in a thread on the Mac TDM forum. I started a thread on Windows LE forum and it received very little response. I found that odd because it is something that gets requested very often, so I don't know why people didn't seem interested on it. Anyway here is the rest of that thread from the Mac TDM forum and my thread from the LE forum.

TDM

LE
Old 04-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it will be TDM only though for he first six years. And they'll give us LE users a "light" version that will only work on one track, or fifteen seconds at a time or something crazy like that.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 PM

i really like the TE trim tool.

questions:

does Pro Tools have a feature where it can splice up audio in hits of 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc? I already have a good ear in recognizing different tempos from beats, whether it's Hip-Hop, House, Jungle, etc.. most of the producers within these genres are usually consistent anyway since a lot of dance music is formulaic as far as dj mixing is concerned. My main use of audio is remixing/sampling.

My question is, let's say I import a perfect 1/16 hit loop (1 bar) and it's at 85bpm, but now I want that audio to loop at 65bpm. In some audio progs, if you decrease or increase the tempo, pitch becomes affected, but beats are still in place. This is what I'm trying to achieve. My beats are usually in Grid mode, and it's easy to see if a beat is off since the loop doesn't fall on the appropriate time signature when tempo becomes affected. I'd like my loops to always maintain a locked position. So if my tempo changes, I expect my audio's pitch to change, but not the position within the Grid.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 PM

Anyone notice that the quality of the track is seriously compromised when using time shift (I used about 1-bpm)?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
"Something we're aiming for in the next major release is essentially 'full elastic audio' capability", Foeckler elaborated. "Right now, if you shift the timeline (or tempo) around, anything that is cut up will move with it, but if you do that with contiguous audio, Pro Tools still doesn't time-compress or stretch it automatically. It's an obvious thing to do. If you look at other applications that people use for loop-based music [such as GarageBand or Ableton Live], that's how they function. It's very important that Pro Tools functions in the same way."
BRING IT ON!!!!

...um, and LE please.

Shelling out for HD simply doesn't cut it given that even Digi recognise that "GarageBand or Ableton Live" both handle audio in such a manner.