Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Default 8PRE input with built-in mac output?

Hi -
I'm just experimenting with PT9, Macbook pro, and new MOTU 8pre.

Is it possible to configure PT9 to use the inputs from 8pre, but use the built-in mac output (build-in speakers)? I've tried various combinations of selecting 8pre as hardware, protools aggregate i/o as hardware, 8pre as playback device, aggregate i/o as playback device, built-in output as playback device... ie., I've tried all combinations, but for the most part protools restarts the session when you choose a new playback engine anyway.

I keep my home powered monitor speakers connected to my 002rack (my "home" system), and never connect them to the 8pre (my "mobile" system). But for quick-n-dirty stuff at home I might use the 8pre to record, but don't want to unplug my speakers from the 002r to listen.

Instead I want to use the mac's built-in output, use the 1/8" output jack from the mac, which is already connected to the back of my 002r for the alt 7/8 inputs. Ie., my monitors are controlled through my 002r which never leaves my desk. But my recording inputs could be either my 002r or my 8pre. (It's really really really hard to get to the back of my 002r to reconfigure anything)

I'm having trouble articulating what I mean, but I think I'm simply looking to use an EXTERNAL DEVICE for INPUT to PT9 on mac, but use the mac's BUILT-IN OUTPUT for playback.

How do I do this?

Thanks
- Chris
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Re: 8PRE input with built-in mac output?

It is not officially supported and the way you are suggesting hooking it up you may run into clocking issues. Aggregating devices is only supported for internal Mac input and output.

I am not sure I understand why you wouldn't just open the session on your "home" system, since it sounds like it is set up. Do you have two different systems? Why not just copy the session over and open it on your home system?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 AM

The home system is Windows-based. The mobile system is Mac-based. I am making the conversion to Mac after 3 years on PC, and in hindsight I'm not sure that was wise. It wasn't until after I made the mac/PT investment that I discovered PT/Win can't read a session created on PT/Mac. (PT/Win can read a Mac-formatted drive, but PT/Mac cannot read a PC-formatted drive.) So I need to keep both systems intact for a while.

I've not dealt with I/O setups since my 002r/PC rig was set up years ago. But is it possible on the Mac session to somehow remap "main out" in the session to be the built-in output on the mac?

Ie, my original post dealt with hardware/driver configuration independent of any session. But now I'm wondering if I can control this from within a session...maybe like a headphone mix vs. main-out or control-room mix? Probably not because it's up to the audio interface PT is using, and I think I'm effectively asking it to use 2 interfaces for different purposes. I saw a post earlier about setting up multiple interfaces, but that was more for chaining/sharing inputs amongst 2 different hardware units. If I remember it didn't address the "output" issue.

Thanks again in advance for any clues or workarounds.

- Chris
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM

You could use the HFS/Mac formatted drive on both systems.

Can you describe how your systems are set up? I am still confused.

What computer is the Windows system? What exactly is hooked up to it (interface, session drive)?

What computer is the Mac system (specifically)? What exactly is hooked up to it (interface, session drive)?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Can you be clear what file systems you are using?

A Mac can read a NTFS filesystem it cannot write it without third party software. If both computers are on the same physical network the easiest thing may be just to drag sessions back and forwards between computers with file sharing.

Darryl
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Sorry everyone - in my mind the setup is perfectly clear

The home setup is PC, 002r, NTFS session drives

The mobile setup is Mac, MOTU 8pre, 1TB glyph Mac formatted session drive.

I forgot about that distinction of read vs. read/write for Mac and NTFS drives. I'm still getting my feet under me with the new mobile setup. I had wondered about just copying the sessions to each platform's native drive format, because I share other files between mac/pc all the time. I just hadn't tried it yet with PT session data.

But it's not so much that I want to share sessions. I just want the ability to play back
session audio from my Mac using the monitors attached to the PC/002r. Ideally I fire up PT on the mac, and simply take the 1/8" built-in mac output and feed the ALT 7/8 SRC input on the 002r. The 1/8" end of my ALT 7/8 cable is readily accessible on my desk, but the backside of the 002r is against a wall impossible to reach. Ie., without recabling the back of my 002r, the only way to get audio through my monitors from the MAC RIG is to use the ALT 7/8 SRC input on the 002r.

I could run the mac without any audio interface (thanks PT9 :^), and select the mac built-in I/O when I launch PT. Then built-in output is available and I can feed alt 7/8 on the 002r. No problem here.

BUT if I need the 8PRE interface (for overdubs, midi input, etc.) then I lose the ability to use built-in output on the mac to feed alt 7/8 on the 002r. I guess as I'm typing outloud here... I could just use a Y-adapter to take the stereo outs from the 8PRE, and funnel them to the 1/8" ALT 7/8 SRC cable that sits on my desk.

So if there's no hardware way to specify 8PRE inputs, but use MAC built-in Output, I gotta use the Y-cable solution.

phew!
- Chris
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM

The easiest way to share a monitor setup is to buy something like a Mackie Big Knob.

I am still not clear why you would want to have the 8pre hooked up and yet use the MacBook's output to feed the monitor setup, but then talk about how you don't need to have an interface hooked up because of ProTools 9. Why not just use the main outs of the 8pre to input into 7/8 on the 002R? Or, if you do not have the 8pre attached, just use the 1/8" out on your MacBook Pro.

Also, I didn't think the 002R had a stand-alone mode, which means you will need to have the other computer running.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM

The Moto 8pre cannot be configured as an aggregate I/O device with the built-in output? Did you try doing that in the Mac Audio/Midi setup?

But I'd much rather look at a monitor switching option as already suggested by others.

Darryl
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks all - I didn't know about monitor switchers. I'll check into that.

Bottom line - if this works, it's a convenience for me and nothing else. I did try the mac midi/audio setup, but perhaps there is a setting I overlooked.

I think we've beaten this to death but I appreciate the feedback.

- Chris
Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 AM

The problem with aggregating devices often comes down to syncing the clocks.

If you aggregate the 8pre with the MacBook's internal audio, how are you passing the master clock's information? Not through the 8pre's FireWire connection. It doesn't work like that. You could take one of the 8pre's ADAT outputs and hook it up to the MacBook's digital input and set the 8pre as the Master Clock in Audio/MIDI setup. However, the problem there is that OS X doesn't like anything besides the MacBook to be the Master Clock (buggy).

Or, you could use the "resample" option, which means CoreAudio will actually resample your data and determine the output, effectively "re-clocking" everything. Not exactly what you want for professional audio.