Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Things I will get in the next year & your thoughts

I am planning on getting these 4 things for my studio in the next year or when they are available on ebay [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

1.RME AD - 8 PRO (this is a must)
2.Waves L2 hardware version (or stick W/ L2 soft)
3.Dual Neve Preamp (vintech?)
4.RODE NTK (already have 2 rode NT 1000, Big Diff?)

What do you think should be scraped and what do you think should be added. thanks alot

OH AND BTW!!! just got a Joe Meek VC1Q off of ebay and have herd great things about it. what do you think about it?

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 11-27-2002, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Things I will get in the next year & your thoughts

I like the Meek stuff - I have three of their channel strips and plan on getting at least one more. Definitely not "subtile", but great for brash, in your face type stuff.

I also really like my Vintech Neve clones. Definitely highly recommended!

NTK's a nice mic - I have one, and it's one of the few "sub $500" LD condenser mics that I really like... it's a bit different tone than your NT1000's, but somewhat similar. Bigger bottom end, more smooth on the top, but almost "enhanced" or "excited" type tone to the top, without being harsh. Not a good choice on overly bright female singers but can work very well for a lot of male vocalists. Also works well as a "out front" kick mic in the place where you might normally put a Neumann U47 FET.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:14 PM

In order to help pay for the gear, sell your drums to me.

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 07:42 PM

Hey DW,

I have one question for you and I realize your 16, so I'll be gentle.

Where the heck are you comin up with all the scratch for gear you seem to be buying on a daily basis? (it aint cheap sh*# your gettin either)

just curious [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 08:17 PM

where's he getting the money?
a) he's selling hashish to his private school buddies

b) his full name is "dwdrummer gates"

just kidding buddy, just a bit envious of your gear. here's my advice. with the money you have, try the less is more approach. you seem to be buying a lot of stuff, but a lot of stuff in the mid-level range. instead of buying all of that stuff, why not spend double or triple on a mic/pre-amp. the NTK is a good mic, but if you spare another purchase, just think of what else you could get.
and, since you have extra cash, and i'm sure you're a little green at recording (as most of us are), try to find an engineer in your area who is looking for students. maybe you can talk someone into interning for them. you could watch them on the job, run some cables for them, feed their kids a little with your allowance, and get some very valuable "hands on" experience. oh yeah, and someinsurance for your gear might not be a bad idea either. because if i ever piece together where you live...well...let's just leave it at that. (i'm just kidding) remember, less is more. it's cool to have a room of stuff. but wouldn't it be cooler to have a U47 going into a telefunken pre?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloux:
Hey DW,

I have one question for you and I realize your 16, so I'll be gentle.

Where the heck are you comin up with all the scratch for gear you seem to be buying on a daily basis? (it aint cheap sh*# your gettin either)

just curious [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Our band plays 2 times a week at a club called the red devel lounge in san fransisco. the gig pays 200.00 a person and somethimes more. I have a job at a recording studio as a engineer and a session drummer and have been doing that for the past 2 years.

I am very hands on with the equipment. Hes got the whole 9 yards baisicly. I know what I am doing when running a patchbay. Ive ran a Neve console. original neve 1073's, neumann u87's and much more.

I guess that im soo used to hearing such GOOD quality recordings that I would like to have 1 or 2 pieces realy high quality recording gear so I can get the sound that is very clean yet in your face yet very fulfilling. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

know what im sayin?! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 11-27-2002, 09:29 PM

I hear brotha!...an honest living, good for you...just keep it up!. you've got a lot to look forward to.

oh yea, does the club owner no your not 21!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

happy holidays
Old 11-27-2002, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloux:
I hear brotha!...an honest living, good for you...just keep it up!. you've got a lot to look forward to.

oh yea, does the club owner no your not 21!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

happy holidays
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL ya but he doesnt care.. Im friends with about everyone in there so they are totally cool with it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 11-28-2002, 04:40 PM

I was thinking that I have everything I need, but you know what I would like....

I have this crazy idea of complementing my sudio 001 based system with an MBox linked to a Tablet PC for portable and live work.

That would be really cool if I could operate PT with a pen directly on the screen, instead of a mouse (just think how easy drawing automation would be). Plus, those tablets are real small.

Other than that, perhaps Autotune 3 to replace my outboard version, and a XV module and a Rane pre amp for my chapman stick.

Any donations gratefully received.