Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 7.4.2pr w/10.5.3 Spotlight re-indexes drives on PTLe qui

Here also.

Macbook Black 1.16GHz Core 2 Duo 1G RAM

No external drive attached, Macintosh HD is shown as private in spotlight settings.

Re-indexing starts within a minute of closing PTLE and renders the computer virtually unusable for several minutes.
Previously 10.5.1 with PTLE 7.4cs4 was working great.

John
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
From the READ ME :

Spotlight Will Not Index Hard Drives with ProTools Running (Item #97151)

Spotlight cannot properly index hard drives while ProTools is running. With ProTools running, you can still use Spotlight
to search hard drives but any new files created while ProTools is running cannot be searched. When you quit ProTools, Spot-
light resumes normal indexing of hard drives. Note that ProTools may be slow to open while Spotlight is busy indexing.
Also, if you mount a volume while Pro Tools is launched, Spotlight will index it. This may lead to errors when recording a
high number of tracks. It is recommended that you mount and unmount volumes without ProTools running.
Indeed this doesn't quite explain the problem - all my drives are mounted before I lauch Pro Tools, Spotlight is quiet, but the moment I load a session Spotlight kicks off and re-indexes the session's disk while PT is running. When I quit or close the session, ANOTHER re-index occurs. So it's Pro Tools that's doing something to trigger the indexing when it probably shouldn't be.

It's not an impossible problem to work around, it just requires a short wait, but it's annoying!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Avid

We are aware of this problem and will be changing the behavior in the full release of 7.4.2.

The reason this was done was that Spotlight indexing was reducing track counts and there were instances of indexing causing errors - every hour your drives are re-indexed and, if you happened to be recording at that time and were somewhat near your max track count, the indexing could cause an error and stop the recording.

It appears that drives are having to be entirely re-indexed every time Pro Tools quits, rather than just picking up where it left off, so as I said we'll be changing this and just message the fact that having indexing enabled may cause lower track counts or interruption of recording.

To avoid the lower track counts or recording interruption, set the drives to Private in the Spotlight control panel.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM

I too am having the same problems with 7.4.2 as soon as I quit PT, Leopard starts indexing my drives, something I have not seen before with earlier versions of Pro Tools.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:

We are aware of this problem and will be changing the behavior in the full release of 7.4.2.

The reason this was done was that Spotlight indexing was reducing track counts and there were instances of indexing causing errors - every hour your drives are re-indexed and, if you happened to be recording at that time and were somewhat near your max track count, the indexing could cause an error and stop the recording.

It appears that drives are having to be entirely re-indexed every time Pro Tools quits, rather than just picking up where it left off, so as I said we'll be changing this and just message the fact that having indexing enabled may cause lower track counts or interruption of recording.

To avoid the lower track counts or recording interruption, set the drives to Private in the Spotlight control panel.
All good, thanks for the explanation. I'll shut indexing off/switch to Private before I load PT, but I do need it to work in general so I can find sfx and samples!