Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Need a new Midi interface for HD - Recommendations please...

I'm a big midi user and have relied on my Midex 8 for years. Now with the Intel jump and Leopard it looks like I can't use it anymore. Also I notice the Midi I/O from Digi is now distontinued so i'd like recommendations of who is using what succesfully. I'm HD3 and use all 8 of my outputs and inputs on the midex !
Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Need a new Midi interface for HD - Recommendations pleas

hi
i have a midi i/o and it's a great companion with protools hd you have 10 i/ on it, the setup configuration is very clear with audio and midi configurator (on mac os x).
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 PM

the digi midi is pretty reliable with osx ands pro tools

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Seems the Digi Midi I/o is now gone from most stores so still looking for a modern replacement. Any more recommendations?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 PM

I have the MOTU MIDI Timepiece and I have been using the same one for 7 years. I have an older serial version also that can be networked to the main unit for 16 inputs and outputs. I don't actually need that much I/O so I haven't tested it to see if it works reliably. You can probably find an old used serial version for about $100 to add on if you want more than 8 I/O. In all seriousness it feels like the market for large MIDI I/O is virtually gone because most people getting in the business now aren't going to invest in lots of outboard gear and are using software instruments instead.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 AM

The digidesign MIDI i/o is what i use and it's been a great relationship, but if it's no longer available and if you care about MIDI timing, you only have one choice: MOTU. As far as i know, the MOTU interfaces are the only ones that support the type of MIDI time-stamping that Pro Tools uses. Even the little USB FastLane does, though it has a smaller note buffer in it. If you are pushing a lot of data, the bigger interfaces with a bigger note buffer will likely be more accurate. The cool thing is that the USB version of the MIDI Timepiece AV has been around since about 1989, so there are tons of cheap used ones out there, and (with a firmware upgrade in some cases) are the bee's knees.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM

motu midi express xt. no problems at all

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native