Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Default Eleven Rack and NI Kontrol?

Can you use NI's Guitar Rig Kontrol with Eleven Rack?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and NI Kontrol?

TTT No one?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

I think Rig Kontrol is designed for USB use. You can use the MIDI I/O on it, but I'm pretty sure the USB has to be connected in order for it to function.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM

I'm surprised no one has replied to this.

This is what I had in mind as an ultimate LIVE guitar rig.

I had thought that using Guitar Rig in the effects loop of eleven rack would be the best of both worlds. I was dreaming of using Guitar Rig for it's effects and using eleven rack for it's amp and cab models.

Guitar Rig is more flexible with effects and has more "far out" effects being that it requires a host computer, it naturally has more power.

The downside is that you must include a computer into your guitar setup. There is a YouTube video of the guitar player Steve Jones using a laptop and Guitar Rig live on world tour with the band Air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEu-IyztvG8

Constant software updates and OS updates makes this potentially aggravating although MacBook Pros are stable enough by far for reliability. Also expensive. If you don't already own a new laptop, then you have to get one which is very expensive.

I feel having tested out Guitar Rig myself, that it would be a worthwhile endeavor to see if this worked well. I think both platforms could complement each other very well and not get in each other's way. With Pro Tools installed on the laptop, a guitar player would also have access to the software interface which is far easier to navigate.

The integration of Rig Kontrol makes it even more appealing. I wish Eleven R had floor control surface that could be set up with a software interface. Voodoo Lab Ground Control is a headache to setup.

The other option would be to scrap Guitar Rig and a laptop in your live rig and try something like Fractal Audio Axe FX-II for it's effects as they are pretty far out and you could bypass the amps and cabs and use eleven for it's ams and cabs which sound more full and alive especially for clean and less than shred tones.

It is a worthwhile endeavor to try and put together a rig like this. I think it would sound awesome. I don't have a newer laptop or I would be trying it already. The biggest gains are to bypass the old fashioned noisy pedal boards and to be able to enjoy your guitar without all that hiss! Traditional pedal boards are extremely noisy and that's not what you want to record.

I love Eleven Rack. It's not supposed to do EVERYTHING. It gives you incredible tube amp tone as it's foundation. The versatility, recordability, and portability makes it the smartphone compared to an old rotary telephone.
PTLE 8.0.1
Eleven Rack
002 Rack