Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Default BUG: ProTools 12 volume automation ignored

Is anyone else with ProTools 12 experiencing this volume automation bug? I seem to be experiencing this issue where ProTools/playback just ignores certain (I hope) volume automation. I first noticed it a few months back when a fade out of a track didn't print and the artist and mastering guy picked it up, which was strange because it hadn't happened on the previous prints.

Since then I've noticed it hasn't been a complete one-off. If the session's been open for a few hours I think it seems to be fine, but if I'm opening up to do a quick tweak that's when I've noticed it seems to happen. Kind of like the computer hasn't had time to register the automation.

So far my solution has been just to quickly hit stop and play from the area that the automation is for a second or two and then it does it fine from then on... Just not the FIRST time.

Does that make sense? Anyone else having this problem?

Cheers

Last edited by agoraphobia; 08-16-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Re: BUG: ProTools 12 volume automation ignored

For those playing at home I'm on a mid 2014 13" retina, 16gb RAM i5 Core macbook pro. Sierra 10.12.6.

ProTools 12.8.0
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 PM

I've noticed that for years now. It seems that PT need to "play through" drawn-in (while not in play) automation before it recognizes it.
I draw in volume automation on toms rather than using a gate and it always kicks in a bit late the first time it plays through. Just hitting play from a spot anywhere in the song seems to solve it. As long as you know about it, like anything else, it's not too much of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 20.3.0
S1 x2
Artist Transport
Avid Control
iPad 7th Gen
HD Native
Hackintosh i9 3.6 GHz Six Core
MTRX Studio
OSX 13.6.4
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 PM

Thanks for you response, Chris. That's exactly similar to part of what I'm experiencing.

The concept of it having been around for years sadly wouldn't surprise me. I've experienced it before, but I do a lot more automation these days than I used to so perhaps that's why I'm noticing it more.

It isn't a huge nuisance, I've just needed to implement a few more habits before printing.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaw View Post
I draw in volume automation on toms rather than using a gate and it always kicks in a bit late the first time it plays through.Just hitting play from a spot anywhere in the song seems to solve it. As long as you know about it, like anything else, it's not too much of a problem.
I get this all the time. I always thought it was related to delay compensation - maybe the automation isn't being compensated for on the first "draw", but on subsequent plays it's corrected? And the problem always seems to be more noticeable when the delay compensation value is higher. (Just a pet theory of mine, I've never actually tried to test it.)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM

I try to stay away from using automation, especially volume automation, anytime I can for reasons like this. I might automate trim however. What I'll usually do, in the toms example for instance, is cut the portion of the clip I want to be silent, then mute it. Seems that it's also much faster and easier. Is there a reason why using automation for things like gating is more useful?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Default BUG: ProTools 12 volume automation ignored

Actually, volume automation is way more accurate than plugin automation. I've drawn volume automation to remove a single cycle of a waveform and it works.

Just muting regions on a Tom track sounds very unnatural to me especially if there's any cymbal leakage. Drawing in a decay sounds much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 20.3.0
S1 x2
Artist Transport
Avid Control
iPad 7th Gen
HD Native
Hackintosh i9 3.6 GHz Six Core
MTRX Studio
OSX 13.6.4
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbaker View Post
Is there a reason why using automation for things like gating is more useful?
With respect, his methodology is irrelevant to the bug that's being reported here.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
With respect, his methodology is irrelevant to the bug that's being reported here.
Well, while we're on the similar topic, why not? And if you read cshaw's response, the issue has already been addressed... respectfully.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=cshaw;2445547]Actually, volume automation is way more accurate than plugin automation. I've drawn volume automation to remove a single cycle of a waveform and it works.

Just muting regions on a Tom track sounds very unnatural to me especially if there's any cymbal leakage. Drawing in a decay sounds much better.

Ok I see your point. Guess it just depends on the particular material.