Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Pro Tools, HUI, and Command 8

The other day I took my Command 8 into the studio and connected it to the HDX system hoping my colleague could use it to work the cue feeds using flip mode.

But we have a gadget attached to the studio computer which makes the studio red light follow Pro Tools' record status, which uses the HUI protocol. When I tried to configure the Command 8 I got a message saying there was another controller which wasn't compatible with Command 8.

I could only connect the Command 8 if I disconnected the red light gadget. Is this because you can't have more than one 'controller' on a system? Or is it just Command 8 won't co-exist with other controllers?

They were both using unique ports and both were connected with USB.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools, HUI, and Command 8

I'm pretty sure you cannot use C8 with HUI controller, or multiple C8, or multiple HUI
Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 AM

I see, Janne. What a nuisance. I'll have to see if there's another brand of gadget to run the red light which doesn't need HUI protocol.

I must say I have wondered for years why there isn't built-in support for red light control with Pro Tools hardware. It's such a useful thing to have.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Why don't you run a display to the booth and that way you can send more than just a red light?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:49 AM

We have large red lights over the door to the live room, both outside in the corridor - so people don't blunder in or start making loud noises during a take - and on the inside, visible throughout the live room and from the booths. There's also a light in the control room just so we know the system is working! The lights themselves are mains bulbs, driven by a solid state relay which in turn is switched by the gadget. It's configured to flash when any track is in record-ready and be on when Pro Tools is in record.

I have considered adding a third display to the computer and mounting it on the wall in the live room, mainly to show the big counter window. But it's not clear to me how I could use this to provide a high-visibility "recording" signal.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
I have considered adding a third display to the computer and mounting it on the wall in the live room, mainly to show the big counter window. But it's not clear to me how I could use this to provide a high-visibility "recording" signal.
I bet you can find an app that turns red when you click on it. Set it below your big counter and there you go.

Or control your blinking red lights outside of PT. It takes a second to click on external switch and then start recording
Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM

Maybe. But I prefer the system we have. Yesterday I had a seven-piece jazz outfit doing whole band drop-ins and this isn't unusual for me. We're not working to click so I roll back 6 or 8 bars, they all play along, keeping an eye on the light, and I punch into record when I judge the moment.

The studio floor is 90 square meters and was crowded yesterday with screens around people, plus we were using both the booths. The red light needs to be unmissable without having to look directly at it. Also, I don't want to be dealing with some switch in front of me at the same time as timing the drop-in in Pro Tools.

And of course I've got a system that works well and I don't want to change it or add complication. I've always managed without the Command 8 before, adjusting people's cue feeds (we run 6 independent stereo foldbacks each capable of driving 4 sets of cans) from the mix window as I go along so I'll just go on managing I guess.

Running the foldback is a big part of the job in my line of work. They're constantly asking for a bit more bass, a bit less drums, more me, less me, etc. right through the session. I know there are modern systems using AVB that let artists control their own cue mixes but we're an old studio with everything hard wired and set up and I don't have the budget for that kind of upgrade.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 AM

sounds like a good system