Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Agreed. I turned it off once and even though I constantly save, it's little conciliation when PT suddenly deletes your session file. Turning Autosave off is playing with fire. Just fix it. I'll probably revert back to 9.0.3 It's more stable. That's for another day
Old 11-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Thumbs down Re: Auto Save error (seems like a major Protools 9 Problem)

Yep I love the feature but honestly I'm scared to turn it back on.

I'm working on 3 different multi-session projects at the moment- much safer for me to just leave it off at this point and manually do my own backups. A fix for this would be nice considering PT9 came out less than a year ago and has already been replaced. The cynic in me doubts that this has been fixed in PTHD10 considering the date of the late DTS' post.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Auto Save error (seems like a major Protools 9 Problem)

Annoying. Frightening actually. I only use Pro Tools to record my own music, and was having no real problems until I started mixing. Once I load on a couple dozen plug-ins (no VIs at the moment), things go along fine for a while until suddenly things get unstable and I get the dreaded auto save error message. Then I try to save manually and get:

"Could not save "song" because while translating Audio Region List."

So I can't even save manually. Then I try to shut down PT and get:

"Could not complete the Exit Command because Access violation occured, unable to read location: 0x00000004."

Then after I restart, things work but remain unstable. Seems to be related to the load using all those plugs. Anyone got any suggestions how best to balance the computer resources to handle Pro Tools + plugs (UAD and native) + VIs? I've done all the optimizations and even disabled networking. Wondering about best settings within Pro Tools and elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM

This won't solve the problem but might help users from loosing the session file... I've done this for years with all my DAWs:

Manually increment the filename each time you save (ie. NewSong01 then saved as NewSong02, etc). Yes, that requires a "Save As" instead of a simple CTRL-S but then if Pro Tools deletes the session file, it won't be your only copy. In fact, I increment the filename as soon as I've done more in my DAWs than I care to recreate. Slightly different workflow but it becomes habit forming.

Also, I had all kinds of problems with 9.0.5 and downgraded back to 9.0.3 (which required me first to downgrade to 9.0.2, then upgrade that to 9.0.3, what a pain). Yes, I still have problems with 9.0.3 but far fewer than 9.0.5. Only problem I had was finding 9.0.3. It doesn't show up on my list of downloads when I log into my Avid account. Forgot what message in here had the link but I did find one and after downloading, that's now the only version I use of the 9.0.x series. Also, it's all I recommend to my students - Sorry 'bout that Apple Lion users but this is the Windows section of the forum anyway. PS, I can't speak for the HD releases, I'm only speaking of the plain PT9 releases.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul2550 View Post
This won't solve the problem but might help users from loosing the session file... I've done this for years with all my DAWs:

Manually increment the filename each time you save (ie. NewSong01 then saved as NewSong02, etc). Yes, that requires a "Save As" instead of a simple CTRL-S but then if Pro Tools deletes the session file, it won't be your only copy. In fact, I increment the filename as soon as I've done more in my DAWs than I care to recreate. Slightly different workflow but it becomes habit forming.

Also, I had all kinds of problems with 9.0.5 and downgraded back to 9.0.3 (which required me first to downgrade to 9.0.2, then upgrade that to 9.0.3, what a pain). Yes, I still have problems with 9.0.3 but far fewer than 9.0.5. Only problem I had was finding 9.0.3. It doesn't show up on my list of downloads when I log into my Avid account. Forgot what message in here had the link but I did find one and after downloading, that's now the only version I use of the 9.0.x series. Also, it's all I recommend to my students - Sorry 'bout that Apple Lion users but this is the Windows section of the forum anyway. PS, I can't speak for the HD releases, I'm only speaking of the plain PT9 releases.
This is great advice. That's what I do with all my sessions. "Song Name_A", "Song Name_B" etc. I generally have 3 incremental file names of each song. It's a pain but has got me out of trouble on a number of occasions.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Still nothing from Avid...

I want to keep this thread alive because it's a serious issue that needs to be fixed.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Anyone has something new on this error?

Does Digi has some clue what's happening with the software?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 PM

I've gone back to 9.0.3 Problem doesn't seem to exist in this version.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm def having the problem in 9.0.3. I never updated to 9.0.5. I just checked out the read me for 9.0.6 and don't see any mention of any fixes for this or the access violation error that I also get.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM

I also have this bug, and i have no clue whats causing it. Sometimes i can work for hours and hours and nothing happens, and sometimes i get it on a new project after 10 minutes.
Digi how do you work with these things.
I feel like sending my computer to you so you can analyze it....

DUCers
I dont use UAD what plugs do u guys have?
I use waves v8
Gold
Ren maxx
Apex aural exciter
Kramer tubes and transistors

U-he zebra 2
FXpansion VST to RTAS adapter v2.11
Slate Digital fg-x and RTube
DMG Audio Equality and equick
Fabfilter delay(cant remember the name now)
NI Komplete 7

Im so tired of this bug that im starting my own research now, understand if ppl dont wanna list all their plugins, might be a shot in the dark but who knows?
Other than that my system hasnt had any problems with stability outside of pro tools. No BSODs or anything remotely strange.
I have started to look inside windows tools to see if i could find anything in the logs that indicate problems, but i dont see any patterns. Do you guys?
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/