Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM

It looks like apple may be taking an intel like tick-tock approach. And they already do it with iPhone hardware. A major update followed by a tweak. Leopard > Snow leopard. Lion > mountain lion. iPhone 3G > iPhone 3GS. iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S. Hope that makes for an easy transition as Lion should have been the major revision. Just not sure what cat/animal they'll use next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM

If it follows the iPhone model, it's going to force upgrades.

Example: since 2007, I have paid $99 a year for MobileMe, which was called .mac back then. When they switched to MobileMe, they really dumbed it down, and I lost some features that I really liked.

Now, they are scrapping MobileMe. So when that happens, I have to switch to icloud to keep all of my mail intact. Icloud is free, but...
1. I need ios 5 to use it on my phone, which means my 3g iPhone needs to be replaced.
2. I need lion to use it on my mac, which I already have, but have not had time to test with all of my software.
3. My websites need to be hosted somewhere else. Another thing I really don't have time for. iWeb has also been dumped...

I guees these are all the price of staying current, but they seem like things that shouldn't be the ones that force me to upgrade.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Re: OSX Mountain Lion? [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
...Just not sure what cat/animal they'll use next...
In Russian, it will be referred to as:

фу-фу

Loosely translated:

Mountain Pee You Ma
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
That is exactly what the plan is. One OS for all apple devices. I suppose it will be a very good thing several years from now.
And then the artistic communities (music and photography) will be screwed if they don't update their programs.

QAPLA!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Mac Pros are supposed to be discontinued. That has been the rumor for awhile now. It was on gearslutz and macrumors awhile back.

I even spoke to a few apple reps that confirmed that although they cant see if it is true but they said it sounds about right. Smhhhhh...

imac will supposedly take over. they want everything more compact, which is funny since my mac pro has 4 harddrives in it.

Look, f--k the beast. And I mean all computer companies.
Although I love digital and all its capabilities, analog is still the best.
Lets see. Studer or Pro Tools.
Sure not everyone can afford a Studer or have the space to fit one. But frankly I dont think everyone should be able to call themselves a music producer or artist either. Too many novices, and less real dudes doing it...

Mac Pro snow lep 10.6.8 pt 9.0.6 pt 10 soon for its advances and then honestly I really dont care anymore.
Lets make money using what we have not worry about the latest hype
(Im still on 9 and before that I was on 7.4 forever, I never even got 8!!!)

Apple will be done in 5 years anyway. Who knows maybe Avid will put out a computer and we can just use all there stuff. They look like they are trying to corner the market anyway...

At this point I wouldnt mind

THINK ON THAT!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't count the Mac pro out. Yet. Hasn't really been any new Xeons worth a whole new update. At least not yet. I wouldn't mind them "dropping" the Mac Pro if they would transition to a Mac Mini Pro with Xeon proc(s), more ram slots, and an optional external thunderbolt PCIe chassis. That is pure wishing though.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM

I was shocked (yet excited) to hear of the new OS. I have an iMac, iPad, & iPhone so these iCloud / iOS features being added to the iMac (especially iMessage) is something I hoped & expected to see. My only concern is the Pro Tools 10 compatibility. I haven't had many (if any) problems with PT10 on Lion, but I don't want to upgrade to Mountain Lion unless I KNOW I'll have the same stability. I also use Reason 6, but they're pretty good with staying current.

Hope this update is worth it!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Most likely, PT11 will be out in October at AES, and it will probably be what you need to get to be compatible with Mountain Lion.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Most likely, PT11 will be out in October at AES, and it will probably be what you need to get to be compatible with Mountain Lion.
That would actually be HORRIBLE (IMO). Mainly because Avid's updates are $300. Highway robbery...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdbryant View Post
That would actually be HORRIBLE (IMO). Mainly because Avid's updates are $300. Highway robbery...
Well so far that looks like their agenda also. New version of PT every year or so. I hope they don't but I won't be surprised. I do miss the paid .x updates. Those were reasonable.