Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Truncated Waveforms

I have run into a strange problem with Panther and 6.4.

After installing 6.4, I like others on the DUC have noticed a lot of spinning beach balls that I do not understand. I have tried most of the obvious fixes.

Today I noticed that after about four recording passes, I get a spinning beach ball that results in an incomplete wave form being rendered for the recorded audio. Very frustrating. I have never seen anything like this before. After hitting stop during a recording pass, there will be a spinning beach ball and then a waveform rendered that does NOT represent the audio being played back. Sometimes the region just has a line in the middle, like it is empty, sometimes it displays a waveform minus that last few seconds of audio. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I have not tried to import these tracks to another session. I have saved and then reopened and the session, and they are not recalculated.

This rig is an 867 running Panther and 6.4, the sessions are running on firewire.

Any ideas are appreciaed.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Truncated Waveforms

Wow ??? that must freak you out !

when you solo the audio on a waveform that isn't drawn correctly, are you hearing proper audio?? but it's just not drawing ?

Have you selected the audio, and selected "recalculate waveforms" from the Audio menu above the regions list ???

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-10-2004, 06:45 AM

Do a Finder search for all - cache.wfm - files. Delete them, it may solve your problems.

dk
Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 AM

Kingfish and dkrz,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out today and let you know.

My further concern is that if this is somekind of weird bug in 6.4, then I need to start booting back into my Jaguar disk and running on 6.1 again until I can get to the bottom of this.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:52 AM

Here is an update on this issue.

Importing session data to another session does not fix the "bad" or inaccurate waveform. Exporting the region as a file and then importing it into any session, including the source, creates a waveform overview that matches the audio. Still don't understand what is creating these corrupt or incomplete overviews.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:42 AM
Avid

Hi,

What happens if you select Recalculate Waveform Overviews from under the Audio menu in the edit window? Do they look correct after they have been recalculated?

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 05-11-2004, 09:07 AM

Hi Wyn,

I encountered the exact same problem. I was working in PT 6.2.3 (Mac OS10.3.3). The only time I encountered the 'blank-last-bit-of-waveform' thing was when working off of an external firewire drive, 96K session, in BWF format. Since then, I've not encountered the problem at all. Because it was a 96k session, I was running a bunch of C4's as RTAS (won't run on TDM) and also AutoTune-RTAS (won't track well as TDM). Because of the heavier than normal CPU load, I assumed that the system was working a bit harder than normal, so this odd little problem cropped up.

I was able to fix the waveforms by selecting the parent file, and choosing 'Recalculate invalid Waveforms'

Hope this helps...
Cheers!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:05 AM

Yes. Thank you. Someone else mentioned this but I thought they were talking about a Preference setting. After you mentioned the "Audio" menu, I remembered that command at the bottom of the list.
This fixes my problem.

FWIW, the post after yours refers to a system configuration similar to the one I was using when this problem occured.

MAC OS 10.3.3 (I know...)
External Firewire (Maxtor 160)
Session SF: 96K

Thanks again for the help.