Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Protools LE & XDV on same XP system utility test

Hi guys,
Ok ... absolute alpha test here ... I'm looking for people with Protools LE and XDV on the same XP machine. MUST be having problems with booting Avid (the .dll file rename issue) and MUST have installed windows into the default location (will tell you how to adapt the program later).

I can't test it, cause I'm not using Protools on the same hardware rig ... this is purely out of the goodness of my heart, and my brother's interest in solving problems.

So ... go to my site, www.blooberryfilms.com ... hit the avid link, and download the avid_protools.bat file I have posted there ... save it to your desktop for convenience.

Assuming you've got XDV installed, and installed protools LE, and now have boot problems:

FIRST: GO TO THE C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ and copy Diomidi.dll, Directio.dll, and DSI.dll into a new directory (name it BACKUP for ease).

Double click the .bat to rename your Diomidi.dll, Directio.dll and DSI.dll files. The program will append them with a .avid name. This should have exactly the same effect as going in and renaming them manually as Avid recommends.

You should now be able to boot and work in Avid, but NOT protools le.

Quit avid, double click the .bat again, and the program will copy over the .dlls with the .avid appended files (the newer, protools ones) ... because of the way windows file protection works, the .avid files cannot be erased, so the program renames them to .prot. (the .prot files do nothing but indicate that you are now prepared for protools booting).

You should now be able to boot protools le, but NOT avid.

There are a few visual reminders that come up as the file is running to tell you what's up ... you need to click afterwards to continue ... once we know it works, that will be disabled to speed up the process.

SO ... at your own risk, test away. Please report back on success/problems.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Protools LE & XDV on same XP system utility test

better idea...i think.

Make a batchfile that renames the files to .avid, AND launches PTLE. After you choose exit from ptle, the batchfile continues, and renames them again. Like this:

rem ***renaming
rename c:\file.a1 c:\file.b1
rename c:\file.a2 c:\file.b2
rename c:\file.a3 c:\file.b3

rem *** launch of protools
c\programfiles\digidesign\protools\protoolsLE

rem *** renaming all the stuff back
rename c:\file.b1 c:\file.a1
rename c:\file.b2 c:\file.a2
rename c:\file.b3 c:\file.a3

Now give this batchfile the icon of PTLE, and place it on your desktop, and you'll never know you are renaming stuff...

Bastiaan