Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Power consumption of the 192IO Digital and HD IO Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't know where you got your current draw from for a desktop unit.
Consumption and "requirements" are two different things.

I base my statement on actually operating several of them, from a G5 2.7, a 2007 intel, 2009, and 2011... and then actually measuring their current consumption. Have you tried that? SB
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM

you want to know about power consumption because you are calculating how many watt needed for a UPS sistem? are you shy to tell or what?
if you are just curious, answer my question:
HOW MANY TREES WILL BE DESTROYED to produce electric supply in a pro tools session?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Actually the Digidesign stuff including Digi 192 draws a extremely high amount of power being just a ADDA converter !
It is almost in parity with a Mac Pro when the Mac Pro is idling. When going max a Mac Pro draws slightly more. You can see how much with the "Hardware monitor" application.
http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html
Anyway, let´s say the overall Mac Pro power in a normal session is 350Watt vs Digi 192 200watt.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 PM

From Avid rep direct back in November last year:

"The standard 8x8x8 configuration is 50W typical and can peak to about 55W in certain conditions."

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Consumption and "requirements" are two different things.

I base my statement on actually operating several of them, from a G5 2.7, a 2007 intel, 2009, and 2011... and then actually measuring their current consumption. Have you tried that? SB
Yep via the method I mentioned earlier. For a fully loaded MacPro I got close to 10 amps.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yep via the method I mentioned earlier. For a fully loaded MacPro I got close to 10 amps.
I believe there is something wrong with your system, or your testing method. Perhaps you have a 60" monitor, and are measuring more than the computer itself.
The macpro that i am typing this on has 16g of RAM, 4 drives.... I have 11 programs open, and for the heck of it am playing a Huge PT session, and have 7 quicktime movies going simultaneously... about 2.4 amps.

You are either mistaken, or just making things up, not owning a mac pro..

I think the PSU on the macpro is only rated at 7.5 amps (IOW, it cannot even deliver 10amps)... or close to that.

I would have not even responded to such an errant post, but this info is important to folks buying a PSA for their systems.. SB
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
I believe there is something wrong with your system, or your testing method. Perhaps you have a 60" monitor, and are measuring more than the computer itself.
The macpro that i am typing this on has 16g of RAM, 4 drives.... I have 11 programs open, and for the heck of it am playing a Huge PT session, and have 7 quicktime movies going simultaneously... about 2.4 amps.

You are either mistaken, or just making things up, not owning a mac pro..

I think the PSU on the macpro is only rated at 7.5 amps (IOW, it cannot even deliver 10amps)... or close to that.

I would have not even responded to such an errant post, but this info is important to folks buying a PSA for their systems.. SB
What a power supply can deliver has no relation to what it draws from the AC incoming power other than the more power drawn by a circuit the more power is drawn from the incoming AC. You have inefficiencies in the conversion from AC to DC. Deliver 10 amps - on which voltage buss?

And you complain about me editing my posts to suit my story (about the power cable thread)? What about the deletion you made in this post where in the email notification you said: "Stop making things up, and then rewriting your previous posts to suit your story. (the part about the power cable)" You're doing the same thing here - editing posts to suit your story. FYI the edit I made in that thread was to clarify an error I made in the original post.

And I know what I'm measuring in current draw and how to do it the right way. I've been working in electronics since way before you were born dude. And how do you know whether I own a MacPro or not? The system I measured this on has (4) 2 gig non-green drives, 64 gig ram, (2) UAD2 Quad omni, MOTU pcie-424 card for the internals. And it's just the MacPro itself I measured and peak draws are hitting close to 10 amps. Steady draws are probably closer to 7 amps.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What a power supply can deliver has no relation to what it draws from the AC incoming power other than the more power drawn by a circuit the more power is drawn from the incoming AC. You have inefficiencies in the conversion from AC to DC. Deliver 10 amps - on which voltage buss?

And you complain about me editing my posts to suit my story (about the power cable thread)? What about the deletion you made in this post where in the email notification you said: "Stop making things up, and then rewriting your previous posts to suit your story. (the part about the power cable)" You're doing the same thing here - editing posts to suit your story. FYI the edit I made in that thread was to clarify an error I made in the original post.

And I know what I'm measuring in current draw and how to do it the right way. I've been working in electronics since way before you were born dude. And how do you know whether I own a MacPro or not? The system I measured this on has (4) 2 gig non-green drives, 64 gig ram, (2) UAD2 Quad omni, MOTU pcie-424 card for the internals. And it's just the MacPro itself I measured and peak draws are hitting close to 10 amps. Steady draws are probably closer to 7 amps.
My final post in this inane discussion. I did edit my post to be less inflammatory, after realizing who/what I am dealing with.
I don't mind being wrong on this. i also don't mind that you have a unique, one of a kind, macpro.
Simple as this... I have measured all the other computers that I earlier mentioned, along with every piece of gear in their respective studios, individually and combined. This was for UPS implementation. We also have Furmans with ammeters built in...
No need for a pissing contest, you win. Your MAC is "bigger" than all in the world. It draws 10amps.(well, it started at 12, went to 10, and now 7) Congrats! You still win.

Try going to your NRA site and tell them that you shoot 9mm cartridges out of a .22. You can probably find a place on the internet that confirms it, and you say you can... so. No different than what you are doing here. Rock on. The smell is clear. I've smelled it before. done! SB

Quote:
(4) 2 gig non-green drives
Now, that I believe!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM

The 12 amps is the Apple spec
The 10 amps was what I was seeing as peak current draw
The 7 amps was what I was seeing as steady current draw

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM

12A for a single Mac Pro is too much! LOL
Rush/ Start up current that high???
Never heard about this!

55W for an HD IO or a 192 Digital seems reasonable since the old Adat Bridges drained 30W.
Thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.