Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-18-2021, 07:25 PM

Default Forced Win 10 update made a mess

I’ll get right to the point of this one....the last PT Ultimate that didn’t give me various forms of headaches is 2020.3. The latest Windows Pro 20H2 update (that completely blindsided me, by the way) made a real mess, but it did get me to replace my Matrox graphics card (no driver updates in over 4 years) with an Nvidia Quadro Fx 1800 card, just to get around the Matrox not playing well with the Windows update. But. My Pro Tools edit window display scrolls fine for about 10 seconds, freezes, scrolls again, freezes again....non stop. Everything is still recording and playing like it should, but this constant display freezing is making me nuts. I re-checked all my settings to make sure Windoze didn’t overwrite them, and it’s all right where I left it, where it was working great before this update. I missed something, clearly. Any ideas? Do I need to suck it up and go with 2020.12, and do the danged “plugin shuffle” so it’ll load the first time? Last I saw, Avid said don’t do the Win 10 update, but Microsoft apparently didn’t concur. Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte x99 designar, 32 gb ram, samsung m.2 system “drive,” WD 1TB HDD, Nvidia Quadro fx1800 card. PT Ultimate 2020.3.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Forced Win 10 update made a mess

Take a look at OneDrive settings. Perhaps the 2H20 update changed those settings.

Here settings were such that OD synced with cloud whenever I or PT touched anything on the desktop.

I uninstalled OD.

/Fzz

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2021, 07:25 AM

Great suggestion! I also did some research and discovered that it’s best to turn off the function that sends reports to Avid (Hmmm. I wonder if it’s causing the screen to pause because it’s sending a report to Avid saying the screen keeps pausing...)
Something is running in the background, clearly. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll report back when (if?) I figure this out.

Last edited by sw rec; 03-19-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
The latest Windows Pro 20H2 update (that completely blindsided me, by the way) made a real mess...
Yo

One thing Win 10 does is make setting up multiple boot installs easy. I use a dual boot system - one for DAW, that is always offline except once every few months when I may update any installed software, and one for Interweb and online activities like moving files and chatting on forums.

With a dual boot setup you never have to worry about background web activities and updates messing with the DAW. This can be very important as a system ages. If the DAW is stable and working leave it. If you "bring in" files from collaborators on the Interweb boot partition everything is virus scanned and probably safe.

YMMV, IMHO, eieio.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:21 AM

This update had zero negatives here. At least 'so far'. The previous update took out my email, but a couple of registry hacks fixed it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-19-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This update had zero negatives here. At least 'so far'. The previous update took out my email, but a couple of registry hacks fixed it.
No issues here either. I manually check for & install Win updates, and always keep Windows 100% up-to-date. Run Windows Security scans. I also run both CCleaner's cleaner AND CCleaner reg scan. All "reporting back to Microsoft or AVID or anybody else" options turned off. Simple precautions, really.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-19-2021, 09:28 AM

Tip received from Microsoft - yes ms

Turn the "dataprices"switch. That will inhibit the large updates like 2004 2H20 etc, while allowing security and other updates on my request.

Switch somewhere under settings/update...

Fzz

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM

A few things I found & addressed: Turbo Boost was enabled by default, so I disabled it.
Found & disabled “One Drive.” And while I was at it, I was like “I might as well install PT 2020.12 instead if reinstalling 2020.3. I already have a mess on my hands anyway.” Installed, launched, and it actually didn’t put forth the “too many plugins” issue. I DID get a message when I first launched it, saying the “database couldn’t be backed up.” I’ve never seen that one before. Opening a recent session now.....
Old 03-19-2021, 11:07 AM

Update: 2020.12 launched just fine without me having to remove/replace ANY plugins, and I unchecked “0” in processor affinity, and it seems to be behaving quite nicely. One odd thing I saw the first time I launched it was a message saying it couldn’t backup the database...it went by quickly so I didn’t get a chance to read the whole thing, but it hasn’t appeared again.
Thank you, everyone that chimed in. I think I’m back in business.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:32 AM

Since you've been to your BIOS to disable Turbo Boost, go back in again and disable C-States.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction