How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Re: A Waves HDX solution...

It's a lot less of a worse idea now. The original eMotion mixer, and clunky-ness was a workflow killer. Question...can you automate the Waves plugins within PT or using an Icon?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
What you are describing is certainly a much better way of working than what they initially proposed. But I'm a little confused, what is the reason for an AAX DSP version of the Studio Rack Plugin if the DSP processing is happening on a separate machine and not on the HDX card?
I'm guessing here but I assume it's so you don't have to bridge between HDX DSP and native thereby eating into you voice count.

I do know that the Studio Rack plug-In is a very small and routes audio to and from the SoundGrid server and relays information like automation and presets from the host.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
It's a lot less of a worse idea now. The original eMotion mixer, and clunky-ness was a workflow killer. Question...can you automate the Waves plugins within PT or using an Icon?
You can definitely automate them within PT just as you can any other HDX/TDM/Native plug-in, you could do that with the eMotion app with a dummy plug-in.

Regarding using an Icon or in my case a C24, I don't know is the honest answer. However, I'm guessing if you can automate the plug-in then the parameters would be mappable?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM

What kind of latency are we talking about? Native plugins on Aux tracks require 2x the buffer size, I typically run @256, so that would be 512 samples for one round trip to the processor, let alone losing 1 voice for each channel making that round trip. For me, this is only acceptable to an extent, I try to avoid making the overall latency of my system from climbing above a couple thousand samples at the most (fader latency, and delay compensation issues). For me the answer is hybrid: native plugins on disc tracks for zero latency, and use as much as possible DSP only plugins on Aux tracks for near zero latency (depending on the plugins used). We're getting there with some great DSP bus processors (Avid ProLimiter for example), but we still have a ways to go.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
What you are describing is certainly a much better way of working than what they initially proposed. But I'm a little confused, what is the reason for an AAX DSP version of the Studio Rack Plugin if the DSP processing is happening on a separate machine and not on the HDX card?
Strangely enough what he describes seems similar to waves multirack that works with soundgrid, with some new function to it, being hosted directly in the Digigrid for one, and automation (if they give it).

Wave-T.com
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
It actually sounds like the worst idea since the dawn of man, if you don't count the Waves APA32 and APA44.
Well, actually, the worst idea since the dawn of man is Avid's plan to drop Complete Production Toolkit from their lineup, thus leaving absolutely zero, nada, zilch options for folks needing to mix surround in Pro Tools, but not needing the power of an HD card, thereby literally forcing people with that need to use a competitor's product.

Yup, now that is the worst idea ever.

Chris
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
Well, actually, the worst idea since the dawn of man is Avid's plan to drop Complete Production Toolkit from their lineup, thus leaving absolutely zero, nada, zilch options for folks needing to mix surround in Pro Tools, but not needing the power of an HD card, thereby literally forcing people with that need to use a competitor's product.

Chris
It is a transitional pain, true. But have you considered trying to score a HDN card second hand?

Wave-T.com
Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post

Chris
Seems to be in the running, for sure.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
It is a transitional pain, true. But have you considered trying to score a HDN card second hand?
15-18 on the open market.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM

I found this thread while doing a little surfing about digi grid.

I for one LOVE the idea of this as someone with a huge investment in a TDM mercury bundle. If I can get dedicated DSP, automate-able within Pro Tools, with only a network connection to a dedicated DSP box: I will be thrilled!

What's not to like about that? I'm confused
Closed Thread