Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Default Strike MIDI recorder feature ... issues and workarounds

Tristan and Nic Puehse are aces on best complete skateboard for beginners. The 9-year-old twins accelerate minimizing ramps, spin using the air, and achieve tricky stunts. They've done frontsiders and kickflips in China, and so are just one rotation from landing pro skater Tony Hawk's famous 900 trick--two and a half rotations in mid-air.

The twins' fancy effort can make any science teacher proud. Science'? Yes it's true. Within the finish, the boys' skateboarding methods showcase the essential concepts, or laws and regulations and rules, of science. Whether they understand it or else, skaters accomplish awesome stunts by exercising how rapidly they need to turn and the simplest way to balance how much.

"It could be a hard trick, you need to determine the very best speed along with what position," Nic told WR News. "Sometimes you should get plenty of speed to apparent a distinct segment that's big," adds Tristan.

Fighting Gravity

One of the primary forces skaters deal with during methods is gravity. Gravity pulls objects together. In The World, gravity pulls everything toward the planet's center.

Skaters frequently use gravity to assist them get started. After they start near the top of a ledge, for example, gravity pulls the board lower toward the ground, delivering skaters speeding within the ramp.

Should they have developed enough energy after they achieve lack of, they shoot to the air for just about any matter of moments. "lib like flying," states Tristan. "There's however gravity, and that means you don't stay awake there forever."

To move support a ramp, skaters have to prevent gravity. "You have to fight gravity to acquire in the low spot to some high one," physicist James Riordon described to WR News. Riordon remains skateboarding since he was a long time old.

Skaters use their centers of gravity to assist them do that. The center of gravity might be where the most of an object's weight can be found. A human's center of gravity could be the torso. Skaters bend their legs round the flat part of a ramp and straighten their legs round the inclines to profit from gravity. That movement raises and lowers the center of gravity, creating energy. The motion resembles how you raise minimizing your legs to acquire a swing moving.

Methods Getting a Twist

Skaters take action similar utilizing their arms and legs when turning. By tucking their arms in, they could spin faster due to there being less resistance. "You'll be able to accelerate your spin through getting your arms and legs or slow it lower by disbursing them out," Riordon states. Nic and Tristan pull their arms in tight for just about any 540--a trick that transmits them rotating one and a half occasions in mid-air.

Skaters likewise use their centers of gravity to exhibit the skateboard. "Skateboards are created to turn once your center of gravity is away and off to the whites,In . states Riordon. In case your skater's center of gravity results before or behind the board, the board will shoot out and he or she will most likely fall. This is where a skater learns about gravity painfully costly way!

THINK CRITICALLY: Just how can other athletes use their centers of gravity?

Board Basics

Throughout an ollie, a skater launches to the air while using skateboard without touching the board using their hands. Here's the ins and outs, step-by-step.

1. The skater jumps by quickly straightening her legs and raising her arms. The skater's back ft pushes lower round the tail. The tail may be the rear from the skateboard.

2. Since the tail hits the ground, the key in the board needs upward. The movement launches the board to the air. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-r...rs-skates-zone

3. Once the board and skater have been in mid-air, the skater pushes her front ft lower lightly to level the board.

Prior To Deciding To Read

Ask students: How can a skateboard work? What could a person have to envisage to remain balanced around the skateboard? How might studying science help skateboarders improve?

Vocabulary

center of gravity: where the most of an object's weight can be found

gravity: a pressure that draws objects toward each other

principle: a simple law

tail: the trunk of the skateboard

Background

* Just how can Nic and Tristan Puehse develop new methods? The twins watch skateboarding movies, get tips from older skateboarders, and develop some moves on their own. The twins shown business skills in Shanghai, China, to market a completely new skate park.

* How come skaters use half-pipes? Skateboard ramps can be found in many shapes, but half-pipes are popular since they allow skaters to shuttle without getting to prevent--giving skaters plenty of chances to complete methods.

* How can a skateboard's design help skaters do methods? Modern skateboards are often produced from thin layers of wood glued together. "Making it's strong and springy, much like a diving board," explains physicist James Riordon. The trunk from the board is angled upward, which makes it simpler for skaters to push lower round the to complete means of example ollies.

Think Critically

Tristan and Nic Puehse are usually smaller sized sized than adult skateboarders. How might their small size be helpful for skateboarding methods? How To Choose Buy The Best Right Skateboards For You

Extend the Lesson

Employing a hardcover book rather of the skateboard, have students use their hands to re-create what sort of skateboard moves throughout an ollie. Ask: So what can happen once the skater pressed lower round the front in the board? What might happen once the skater pressed lower a lot of round the board though it may be in mid-air?

Last edited by giabinh; 09-14-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Strike MIDI recorder feature ... issues and workarounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by giabinh View Post
Then I wanted to use Strike's MIDI recorder to record the MIDI data, so I can further edit to make each fill unique, and introduce some other subtle changes in different verses, choruses etc.
I believe this is your real question. How to use Strike to have variation and musical changes and dynamics across the song.

This is the whole strength of Strike and what makes it unique actually. But I am afraid to say that you are doing it wrong.

If you record the MIDI data from Strike and try and use your DAW to edit the MIDI you are not using Strike for what it is.

Try instead to learn how to use Strike to make all the changes you are looking for musically.

I use Strike extensively. What I do is create lots of different patterns for each section that fit the kicks and groove of each section. Then add in the notes that are accent notes and extra features. Then use Strike's main window to vary the intensity and complexity as the song progresses. So in Strike you work with the musical concepts directly.

It will follow all of your tempo track too.

It seems you are trying to just extract the Strike patterns into your MIDI editor. Learn instead to use Strike the way it was intended and get away from editing the MIDI notes.

Use track automation to vary the musical parameters during the song. So increase the intensity and complexity, feel, swing, etc as you sort of guide your drummer through the performance.

Remember that Strike will play things differently each time you perform the track so you have to think of it as a performer. I even do comps!

No other drum VI works like this to my knowledge. And this is the most fun part of Strike.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-Choppah View Post
I believe this is your real question. How to use Strike to have variation and musical changes and dynamics across the song.

This is the whole strength of Strike and what makes it unique actually. But I am afraid to say that you are doing it wrong.

If you record the MIDI data from Strike and try and use your DAW to edit the MIDI you are not using Strike for what it is.

Try instead to learn how to use Strike to make all the changes you are looking for musically.

I use Strike extensively. What I do is create lots of different patterns for each section that fit the kicks and groove of each section. Then add in the notes that are accent notes and extra features. Then use Strike's main window to vary the intensity and complexity as the song progresses. So in Strike you work with the musical concepts directly.

It will follow all of your tempo track too.

It seems you are trying to just extract the Strike patterns into your MIDI editor. Learn instead to use Strike the way it was intended and get away from editing the MIDI notes.

Use track automation to vary the musical parameters during the song. So increase the intensity and complexity, feel, swing, etc as you sort of guide your drummer through the performance.

Remember that Strike will play things differently each time you perform the track so you have to think of it as a performer. I even do comps!

No other drum VI works like this to my knowledge. And this is the most fun part of Strike.
+100

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your posts on this topic. I've just started diving a bit deeper into strike and I have a couple questions, if one of you knows the answers.
I like starting with grooves that are in strike and editing them right there in the program. Now that I have a song put together, I have recorded the "trigger" keys in the midi line of the instrument track. Now that I'm done, I'd like to obtain individual midi notes for the kit, and end up having them all on different midi tracks so I can end up rendering to separate audio tracks. I have tried this and it seemed to overlap different patterns and I didn't end up with a representation of what I had started with. On top of that, I can't find a way to rerecord the pass. Is there a way to reset the "drag and drop" button in the lower right so I can record again? And, is this even the correct way to go about this?
Thank you in advance. I'm pulling my hair out.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw sound View Post
Thanks for your posts on this topic. I've just started diving a bit deeper into strike and I have a couple questions, if one of you knows the answers.
I like starting with grooves that are in strike and editing them right there in the program. Now that I have a song put together, I have recorded the "trigger" keys in the midi line of the instrument track. Now that I'm done, I'd like to obtain individual midi notes for the kit, and end up having them all on different midi tracks so I can end up rendering to separate audio tracks. I have tried this and it seemed to overlap different patterns and I didn't end up with a representation of what I had started with. On top of that, I can't find a way to rerecord the pass. Is there a way to reset the "drag and drop" button in the lower right so I can record again? And, is this even the correct way to go about this?
Thank you in advance. I'm pulling my hair out.
You were good up to the point where you tried to output the MIDI notes. Don't do that. Output the audio instead. Use Strike as a multitrack vi and bus record its performance to multiple tracks - just like recording a real drummer. It even has mic bleed!

Don't try to use Strike as a MIDI thing. That's not what it's for. Use it as a performer and record its audio directly. Then you have a mix that doesn't need the vi anymore and can be mixed with just audio files.

Your MIDI notes that trigger the different grooves, and your track automation that changes the feel of the playing are what YOU perform to tell Strike what to do.

Do all your basic mixing inside Strike's special tracking mixer. Just use the bus capture as the last step when you want to be mix ready with a project that is all audio files and doesn't need any special plugins to play.

You have to separate the tracking step from the mixing step. Strike is a tracking tool. It's a performer.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Ok, that sounds much easier. I still don't understand what the step is to send the separate tracks out different busses. Where is the option?
How do access the separate outputs?
Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw sound View Post
.... what the step is to send the separate tracks out different busses....?
see attached images:
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much, you have made my day. My eyes passed over those master buttons a million times and I didn't ever investigate.
Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-choppah View Post
you were good up to the point where you tried to output the midi notes. Don't do that. Output the audio instead. Use strike as a multitrack vi and bus record its performance to multiple tracks - just like recording a real drummer. It even has mic bleed!

Don't try to use strike as a midi thing. That's not what it's for. Use it as a performer and record its audio directly. Then you have a mix that doesn't need the vi anymore and can be mixed with just audio files.

Your midi notes that trigger the different grooves, and your track automation that changes the feel of the playing are what you perform to tell strike what to do.

Do all your basic mixing inside strike's special tracking mixer. Just use the bus capture as the last step when you want to be mix ready with a project that is all audio files and doesn't need any special plugins to play.

You have to separate the tracking step from the mixing step. Strike is a tracking tool. It's a performer.
+1,000 :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield