How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Default Connecting an Eleven Rack via SPDIF to Pro 40 for Re-Amping

Hi Guy's,

So I recently picked up an Eleven Rack as a solution to my current living arrangement issue which means I can no longer use/record with my 4x12 rig at home. However since getting the 11R I have ran in to a few problems getting the two interfaces working in unison for re-amping so I don't have to use the 11R as a stand alone interface. After reading a bunch of articles, threads and watching numerous videos (some of which I have I have included the links of below) I have still been unable to get the two interfaces to work together 100%. I currently have the 11R clocking externally to the Pro 40 via SPDIF and I have created my own ProTools IO, yet despite this I can only record a dry and wet signal of the 11R and not re-amp later with it as no signal comes through, which makes me believe I am missing something in the IO's (I have included screenshots of my IO's and mix control below).

Any help would be great.
Thanks Josh

How do I use the ElevenRack through the digital i/o of another audio interface... SweetCare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DRUGqfQ8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWP0EIFz0c0

Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Connecting an Eleven Rack via SPDIF to Pro 40 for Re-Amping

I just got a FocusRite Saffire Pro 40 and had no issues setting it up with the 11R. I simply go out the 11R SPDIF into the Pro 40 SPDIF. Set 11R to Internal and Pro 40 to SPDIF. I have not reamped yet, but I plan to just use SPDIF as well or run a cable from Output to Amp 1 into my interface and set it to send just the dry signal.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Intel Haswell-E Processors 3.3GHz Core i7-5820K 6-Core; Memory - DDR4: 16GB DDR4-2400 Quad Channel (4 x 4GB); Primary Drive (OS): 240GB SSD SATA3; Secondary Drive (Audio): 2TB 7200 rpm SATA2; Graphic Card: 1GB (HD5450) Dual Display Graphics Card; Optical Drive: 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner; Windows 10 64-bit; PT 12.5; Studio One Pro 3.2; Cubase Pro 8.5; REAPER; MixBus 3
Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 PM

All those links... which are great, but you do know this is all very well explained in the Eleven Rack User Guide?

You are only using one interface. The Eleven Rack is just a dumb outboard processor.

What you are doing with IO settings in Pro Tools probably has *no* relevance to what is going in. Changing the names of IOs makes no difference to anything. And I'm not sure what you re doing with "Mic IP" or "Eleven Rig", if those are meant to be Eleven Rack inputs well they just don't and cannot exist in you session unless the Eleven Rack is the interface. All you have in you session that can talk to the Eleven Rack is a S/PDIF output and an S/PDIF input, you can rename them if you want to, but there is no need to (and doing so can sometimes cause more confusion than it's worth). Pro Tools does not care what an IO is called, and the Eleven Rack can't tell...

All you need to do is get the dry signal out one S/PDIF output from your interface and get the Wet signal back in on the S/PDIF input on your interface.
And you need to have the rig input in the Eleven Rack set to S/PDIF in (and the correct side of that S/PDIF in that you actually have the signal on). And you usually will want the S/PDIF Output on the Eleven Rack set to Mirror Analog (or Rig Outputs).

So just debug things, everything you need to work through is sitting in front of you. Do you have the dry signal appearing at the S/PDIF output? Is it the right dry signal? Do you have an S/PDIF headphone amp or DAC you can test that with? Is it on the correct channel? With the S/PDIF Output from the interface connected to the S/PDIF input on the Eleven Rack.... is the Rig input on the Eleven Rack set to that input Do you see the S/PDIF input in the Eleven Rack meters (at the far right of the font panel rig GUI). With monitors connected to the Eleven Rack main Output... can you hear that dry signal being reamped? Now what is the S/PDIF output on the Eleven Rack set to? Is there something coming out of that S/PDIF? (check with headphoen amp or DAC again), then connect it to your interface...and get that doing as input to an audio track.

I cannot tell from your description what is being clocked form what. For ease in debugging you might start by setting the Eleven Rack to be clocked from the Interface (and leave it that way). Or just have eberhign clocked internally to start with, even if it sounds terrible, you'll can get the basic reamp signal flow workign and then sort out clocking.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM

No way. I have a very similar problem and watched that exact same video! Lol

Except... I don't get any guitar input no matter what I select. I tried posting a thread on here but I guess it has to be approved.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Hmm. Just got FR Saffire Pro 40 and it worked perfectly for me.

Triple check your settings in 11R, Pro 40 and DAW.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Intel Haswell-E Processors 3.3GHz Core i7-5820K 6-Core; Memory - DDR4: 16GB DDR4-2400 Quad Channel (4 x 4GB); Primary Drive (OS): 240GB SSD SATA3; Secondary Drive (Audio): 2TB 7200 rpm SATA2; Graphic Card: 1GB (HD5450) Dual Display Graphics Card; Optical Drive: 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner; Windows 10 64-bit; PT 12.5; Studio One Pro 3.2; Cubase Pro 8.5; REAPER; MixBus 3
Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 PM

After some digging, I managed to figure it out.

On the Hardware Setup menu, I wen over to the MAIN tab.
I made it look like this:
(The dots are a sad attempt to try to make it look like the Hardware Setup window)

Input....................................Output

1-2 Analog 1-2.......................Monitor1-2
3-4 SPDIF 1-2........................Optical (S/PDIF)
5-6 None...............................None
7-8 None...............................None

Digital 1-2 input Format:...............Optical Output Format

O AES/EBU.................................O ADAT
@ S/PDIF...................................@ Optical S/PDIF
O Optical (S/PDIF)

On the Eleven Rack Editor, I have Rig Input: Guitar.
Then on the audio track that I want to record enable on the guitar (In Pro Tools), I set the INPUT of the track to Eleven Rig L/R, and the OUTPUT of the track to StereoMonitor.

I strummed the guitar and, it worked!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 AM

Funny, I can get this to work (simple outboard loop, send out, record arm the spdif input track, hit record)

But when I try to use my brand new 11R as an interface for wet/dry, PT11 just isn't interested. All I get is dry signal. Very odd. Wonder if I'm better off returning it and using BIAS...
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 AM

Default Connecting an Eleven Rack via SPDIF to Pro 40 for Re-Amping

There is no way people here can guess what you are doing, or what exactly you mean by "isn't interested"--but if the Eleven Rack works at all it is almost certain something you are doing wrong. Try defaulting the IO and try creating a session using one of the Eleven Rack session templates.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:38 AM

I will try tomorrow to be more specific about my setup. As far as "not working" I didn't use that phrase. I said all I get is dry signal (implying that I record arm a track and chose input 1, they are not labeled by default as I see in many videos).

I am running latest PT11 on a 2011 iMac 2.5 i5 with 32GB ram and OSX 10.10 latest. I thought that would be in my sig, just joined and made sure to include that info on my registration to this forum.

When I am on my computer I will do what I can to troubleshoot further, TapTalk is not the best for long posts, so sorry for any typos!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 AM

Input 1 *is* the dry signal... you cannot get a wet signal on that. Input 3/4 is the stereo wet rig output. Just do what I already said and you will see all the standard input names.