Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Re: That aggravating white noise!!!!!

I'm running a fresh install of XP home with an external firewire drive. The white noise burst started today by importing a second audio track to a new session. Both audio tracks are bounces from two different versions of an evolving project, meaning one audio track is a newer bounced wav version of the project than the other.

The white noise would occur on only one track, the second to be imported. Muting that track would eliminate the noise. It was a burst of random white noise now and again without rhyme or reason. Previous individual bounces of the project did not cause this even though there was a bounced audio section in one of the new versions (about 16 bars imported to the middle). There was a hissing noise in that section until I deleted it, but it was continuous hissing noise and not like the noise burst.

Upon reboot, the white noise was gone but then there is random loudness in the pan, as if a burst of pan to one earphone or the other. Maybe that is what the white noise is at the extreme, a random burst of pan gone wrong or something.

Maybe the problem is a pan or a balance confusion in audio tracks. It could be other things related to pan and balance but I'm too new to PT to know what they could be.

I'm going to try to bounce the two audio files into one file and see if there is any noise. If it remains with the pan bursts instead of white noise, at least that will be fixable, hopefully.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Welcome to the Digital user Conference.

First be sure you are running PT V 8.0.3 with CS2.

If that doesn't do it for you, we will need to know more. Post a Sandra report on a new thread of your own with all the details of your system.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

TOM@METRO, thanks for the reply and help. Though the 8.03 update made it worse, the cs2 fixed it. If there are any problems in the future I'll run Sandra.

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDays View Post
TOM@METRO, thanks for the reply and help. Though the 8.03 update made it worse, the cs2 fixed it. If there are any problems in the future I'll run Sandra.

Thanks again.
Cs2 should do it for you. Good luck.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Yup, I downgraded to an Mbox Pro a few months ago and unfortunately sold my Digi 002R. I thought that not long from now, the 002r would be discontinued from future release support so I decided to "upgrade" to an Mbox 2 Pro for a more mobile setup and to be sure I'd be covered on new release compatibility. I also bought a new MacBook Pro this past Oct (late 2009). You can see all my computer specs and what OS and PT version I have in my signature.

Basically, my "white noise issue" has become unbearable. What an f'in drag on creativity or "vibe" when you're in the middle of a session with a client and they get blasted in their phones with white-noise in intermittent times sometimes lasting up to 30 seconds. It also happens using Core Audio to listen to iTunes, while working in Abletons or just while listening to streaming audio from the internet. Basically it can happen at anytime while using core audio to hear something from my computer. I know i'm not rocking an HD rig so therefore can't call it a "Professional" recording rig, but I did drop about 4 grand on what I'm working with and this kind of issue is simply unacceptable. I've been into every other thread related to this issue. I've removed all but the digi-plugs that came with my new mbox PT software and Autotune which has been updated and is compatible. There are no longer any Prefs folders to bag and I run disk utility on my drive to fix permissions weekly. What else can I do other than beg for a solution. Somebody please help before I lose my mind and smash my mbox.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Did this issue ever get resolved? This problem has cost me hundreds of $$ already, Im ready to move on to another vendor soon...

Thanks for any help
Robert Johnson
Insurrection Sound
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM

After struggling with the same white noise issues this week, I'm pretty sure my issue is that both my Glyph drives (Record Drive and Backup Drive) are 3TB and apparently, PT8 doesn't support any drive over 2TB... So now I guess I have to partition them down and see what happens....