Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Avid

Smile Yosemite support is now available with EuControl 3.2.2 and Workstation 3.2.2!

Hi Everyone,

Please go here for all of the information:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366482

There are a bunch of S3 fixes in this release as well.

Thanks for your patience, guys. I know its been a long wait.
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Yosemite support is now available with EuControl 3.2.2 and Workstation 3.2.2!

Fantastic, downloading now.

I don't suppose there's 96k support in AVB with this update?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Yosemite support is now available with EuControl 3.2.2 and Workstation 3.2.2!

EuCon crashed whilst updating my firmware and the surface still says "Updating Do not power down".

Edit: this turned out to be OK as the S3 had already downloaded the firmware before EuCon crashed.

One suggestion. Having the user select whether the update firmware reminder be displayed at startup is suboptimal, particularly when you're attempting to determine whether a firmware update succeeded. (I had to boot the S3 in Utility mode to verify this. Also: the dialog box UX: is this 1995? ) Would it be possible to check the firmware version at surface connect time and display the reminder only when the firmware does need to be updated?

Anyway, well done on getting this bug fix out, faders not randomly stopping working will be most appreciated by all I am sure
Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 AM

After updating the S3, and updating EuControl, the upgrade does not work UNLESS your re-enable Eucon in PT | Setup | Peripherals. Otherwise, you get blank faders on the S3.

That step should be in the readme file.

Also the "need to reboot" message after installation of Eucontrol Workstation completes may appear behind the "installing" window, and you'll have an infinite wait until you minimize the "installing" window. Check in Control Panel to see that the install is done, then restart. When I clicked "restart" on the Eucontrol "need to restart", Win 8 did a data dump as if the system froze.

Be patient.

Suggestion to Kyle. In addition to adding the "check the Eucon box" in PT Ethernet Peripherals, tell the devs to add an "Updating S3 Firmware. Do not power down S3 or computer." to the desktop in the next update version. The message on the S3 is hidden behind the rotary controllers. When a user clicks "Finish" on the display desktop... the updating takes another 15 mins... that's a long time for busy minds.
ASRock X99 OC Formula mobo, Win 8.1 x64, PT HD 12.1, i7-5960X CPU, 32GB G.Skill 2133 RAM, Intel 750 PCIe SSD boot drive, ASRock TB2 AIC, Sonnet Tech III-D with 2 HDX cards on TB2, Omni, HD I/O, S3, Artist Transport, SSDs and spinners, AMD HD 7990 GPUs, 2 HP ZR30w panels on DP.

Last edited by maunaloa; 04-04-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Nice one Avid! Just playing back a 96k session over AVB. Very very cool. My S3 is coming with me on my next trip :)
Old 04-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
EuCon crashed whilst updating my firmware and the surface still says "Updating Do not power down".

Edit: this turned out to be OK as the S3 had already downloaded the firmware before EuCon crashed.

One suggestion. Having the user select whether the update firmware reminder be displayed at startup is suboptimal, particularly when you're attempting to determine whether a firmware update succeeded. (I had to boot the S3 in Utility mode to verify this. Also: the dialog box UX: is this 1995? ) Would it be possible to check the firmware version at surface connect time and display the reminder only when the firmware does need to be updated?

Anyway, well done on getting this bug fix out, faders not randomly stopping working will be most appreciated by all I am sure
Thanks for the suggestion and I agree that it can be better. We do want to make firmware updates much more automatic and intuitive. Also, you don't have to boot into Utility Mode to check firmware, you can just select the S3 in the My Surfaces list and click the "Show Info" button.
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maunaloa View Post
After updating the S3, and updating EuControl, the upgrade does not work UNLESS your re-enable Eucon in PT | Setup | Peripherals. Otherwise, you get blank faders on the S3.

That step should be in the readme file.

Also the "need to reboot" message after installation of Eucontrol Workstation completes may appear behind the "installing" window, and you'll have an infinite wait until you minimize the "installing" window. Check in Control Panel to see that the install is done, then restart. When I clicked "restart" on the Eucontrol "need to restart", Win 8 did a data dump as if the system froze.

Be patient.

Suggestion to Kyle. In addition to adding the "check the Eucon box" in PT Ethernet Peripherals, tell the devs to add an "Updating S3 Firmware. Do not power down S3 or computer." to the desktop in the next update version. The message on the S3 is hidden behind the rotary controllers. When a user clicks "Finish" on the display desktop... the updating takes another 15 mins... that's a long time for busy minds.
Thanks for the feedback. There are actually two firmware updates taking place here. One that fixes the connectivity issue in Yosemite and one that resolves the non-responsive faders. The latter happens completely outside of EuControl and only takes place when there is a fader firmware update. Hence, the messaging on the surface and not in EuControl. We thought the messaging was fairly easy to see on the surface. But, there is always remove for improvement. Also, that fader firmware message on the surface says it can take up to 15 minutes, which is pretty rare actually. Generally, its about 8 minutes. Did it take 15 minutes for you?
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 AM

Hi,
I can't find newest EuControl version on my avid account.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
'My products and subscriptions -> VENUE 4.5 Software Upgrade-> Product Details and Download Links' and there is only EuControl 3.2 version.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and I agree that it can be better. We do want to make firmware updates much more automatic and intuitive. Also, you don't have to boot into Utility Mode to check firmware, you can just select the S3 in the My Surfaces list and click the "Show Info" button.
Oh cool, thanks for this tip!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3F View Post
Hi,
I can't find newest EuControl version on my avid account.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
'My products and subscriptions -> VENUE 4.5 Software Upgrade-> Product Details and Download Links' and there is only EuControl 3.2 version.
You will need to log in and download from here http://euphonix.avid.com/artist/ux/e...downloads.html

EuControl 3.2.2 for Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Adds support for Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"
Adds a Soft Key Editor for Pro Tools | S3
In Pro Tools 12 and higher, the preference for Mix and/or Edit windows to follow surface bank selection is now working
Various other fixes
Note: You must update the firmware on Artist Series and S3 control surfaces after installing EuControl Software 3.2.2
OS Compatibility

Mac OS 10.9.5
Mac OS 10.10.2+

EuControl 3.2.2 for Windows (64-bit)
Windows 64-bit only
Adds a Soft Key Editor for Pro Tools | S3
In Pro Tools 12 and higher, the preference for Mix and/or Edit windows to follow surface bank selection is now working
Various other fixes
Note: You must update the firmware on Artist Series and S3 control surfaces after installing EuControl Software 3.2.2
OS Compatibility

Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8.x 64-bit

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite