Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Problems to bus Vintage Filter (and automation)

Hello.
Trying to bus the Vintage Filter in order to save space, but when doing this I encounter som problems.
First of all, in this case i'm using the vintage filter to use the automation cutoff effect.
When I'm adding the filter directly on the track (thus eating more space if I decide to use it more than on one track), and not through a bus , it works perfectly.
But when I'm doing it with a bus, the cutoff and vintage filter just doesnt sound the same. It mostly goes up in volume, and more importantly; It doesns't add too much of that ''far away'' bass-feeling that you're after. DESPITE the fact that I only add the cutoff option to the automation.
I notice that when you bus this effect, the automation option is ''level'', and not ''cutoff'' (which it is when not doing by a bus). May this be the problem ?

Anyway, greatful for answers so I can start using this wonderful effect as much as I please without it eating up too much data space.

/Fabian Fredriksson
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Problems to bus Vintage Filter (and automation)

Sounds like you're using it as a send effect. In which case you're mixing the effected signal (aux return) with the dry / unaffected signal (Channel). When instantiating the plug-in as an insert on a channel (audio track), it's 100% effected signal.

The level automation you are referring to is, in fact, the send level i.e the amount of signal going to the aux. The Cutoff parameters can still be automated on the aux channel but you'll have to do the programming there and not on the audio track.

To achieve the result you want, set the output of the channel / audio track to a spare bus and the input of the aux to the same bus. Send should be zeroed.

OR

Set the send to unity and send to the aux bus but mute the channel output so you get effected signal only.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
Sounds like you're using it as a send effect. In which case you're mixing the effected signal (aux return) with the dry / unaffected signal (Channel). When instantiating the plug-in as an insert on a channel (audio track), it's 100% effected signal.

The level automation you are referring to is, in fact, the send level i.e the amount of signal going to the aux. The Cutoff parameters can still be automated on the aux channel but you'll have to do the programming there and not on the audio track.

To achieve the result you want, set the output of the channel / audio track to a spare bus and the input of the aux to the same bus. Send should be zeroed.

OR

Set the send to unity and send to the aux bus but mute the channel output so you get effected signal only.
Wow, thank you so much. This forum is truely full of nice people!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post

OR

Ok, so I finally got around of trying it (the first option, I didn't really understand the other one), and it worked... BUT:
Now it's the reverb, that I've previously bussed to the channel, that's acting up. The volume and reverb goes crazy and the problem now lies with the reverb and not the vintage filter, witch never has been a problem before.

What to do?

/Fabian